What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

WIP- 1/2 Studio Scale TOS Battlestar Galactica

HARDWARE MODELING! With a focus on Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Concept Vehicle and Hardware subjects, including props, robots and automata

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

DNA
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

Re: WIP- 1/2 Studio Scale TOS Battlestar Galactica

#41 Post by DNA »

robiwon wrote:DNA, I just have to let you know I hate you. You have now convinced me I need to spend even more on this beast and get all of RC's upgrade parts. Thanks a lot buddy, appreciate it, yeah, thanks!!!!!

:lol:
Seriously though, that looks freakin fantastic!
Vader, he used a 1 inch pipe. I'm using a 3/4 pipe and flange I got at Lowes.
I know right. This hobby gets more and more expensive, but RC's kit is really sweet. Now I just gotta figure what to do for the base.

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#42 Post by DarthVader »

DNA wrote:
robiwon wrote:DNA, I just have to let you know I hate you. You have now convinced me I need to spend even more on this beast and get all of RC's upgrade parts. Thanks a lot buddy, appreciate it, yeah, thanks!!!!!

:lol:
Seriously though, that looks freakin fantastic!
Vader, he used a 1 inch pipe. I'm using a 3/4 pipe and flange I got at Lowes.
I know right. This hobby gets more and more expensive, but RC's kit is really sweet. Now I just gotta figure what to do for the base.
DNA,I have been in contact with Dave,Jerry over at HDAmodelworx on making me a Base for my BSG or you can order one of the Wolf Bases they have made.here the link to there website.They have some good prices on there bases or they can make you one to your specs if you want..

http://www.hdamodelworx.com/page76.html

DNA
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#43 Post by DNA »

DarthVader wrote:
DNA,I have been in contact with Dave,Jerry over at HDAmodelworx on making me a Base for my BSG or you can order one of the Wolf Bases they have made.here the link to there website.They have some good prices on there bases or they can make you one to your specs if you want..

Thanks for the link. They have some really nice options and the prices are reasonable.

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#44 Post by DarthVader »

DNA wrote:
DarthVader wrote:

Thanks for the link. They have some really nice options and the prices are reasonable.
Your very Welcome DNA..

Clarence

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#45 Post by DarthVader »

DNA or Robiwon I was wondering if ether one of you could give me the sizes of the bolts and nuts you used on your BSG,and what would I need in styrene strips and rods sizes also.

I did manage to get my gas pipes today..

Clarence

robiwon
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Glue Sniffer

#46 Post by robiwon »

I used 1/4 thick 1 1/2 inch long bolts with nuts. Although, if your doing wood blocks on both side I would suggest 2 inch bolts.

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#47 Post by DarthVader »

robiwon wrote:I used 1/4 thick 1 1/2 inch long bolts with nuts. Although, if your doing wood blocks on both side I would suggest 2 inch bolts.
Thanks robiwon,I will go with the 2 inch ones how many did you use on your BSG if I may ask? did you use any styrene on yours or have you gotten that far yet?

Clarence

DNA
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#48 Post by DNA »

robiwon wrote:I used 1/4 thick 1 1/2 inch long bolts with nuts. Although, if your doing wood blocks on both side I would suggest 2 inch bolts.
Yes, I would go with longer just in case and don't forget to get washers too. I used two bolts, washers, and nuts to connect the head to the body. And two more sets to connect the body to the engine. Check my very first post and you can see the connections. The actual length of your bolts depends on how thick your wood blocks are. I would suggest you lay out your build and put your wood supports in place and clamp it down. Then measure to see how long of a bolt you will need. Thanks!

robiwon
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Glue Sniffer

#49 Post by robiwon »

Agree with DNA I do. I would add that before you clamp the head on heat the back portion with a hair dryer or run it under hot water. This will soften the resin just a tick. That way, when you clamp/drill/bolt it it will less likely crack depending on how much of a bow you have. For mine, I used wood stir sticks I got free from Lowes.

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#50 Post by DarthVader »

Thank You DNA and robiwon will do just that,I never thought about using paint sticks that is a good idea and like you said there free..I have to get them the next time I head towards Lowes or do some shopping should be this week coming..

Clarence

robiwon
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Glue Sniffer

#51 Post by robiwon »

Free, I like Free! Speaking of free, I just got some 1/4 thick scrap poly carbonate sheets from work. Odd shapes, but a good couple square feet of it. Don't know what I'll do with it, but you never know...

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#52 Post by DarthVader »

robiwon wrote:Free, I like Free! Speaking of free, I just got some 1/4 thick scrap poly carbonate sheets from work. Odd shapes, but a good couple square feet of it. Don't know what I'll do with it, but you never know...
It is always nice when you get free stuff...

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#53 Post by DarthVader »

Question for you DNA,on the 1 inch pipe what did you use to make your hole if I may ask?,I also bought the 1 inch pipe and the coupler for it so I like to know did you make your hole the size of the coupler or just the size of the 1 inch pipe?

Thanks
Clarence

DNA
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#54 Post by DNA »

DarthVader wrote:Question for you DNA,on the 1 inch pipe what did you use to make your hole if I may ask?,I also bought the 1 inch pipe and the coupler for it so I like to know did you make your hole the size of the coupler or just the size of the 1 inch pipe?

Thanks
Clarence
First I traced out where I wanted the hole by placing the pipe or coupler over the area. I then made a pilot hole in the center with my largest drill bit. I used a drum sanding bit on my dremel to bore out the rest. This sanding bit moves alot of resin fast so remember to wear a respirator. Hope this helps.

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#55 Post by DarthVader »

DNA wrote:
DarthVader wrote:Question for you DNA,on the 1 inch pipe what did you use to make your hole if I may ask?,I also bought the 1 inch pipe and the coupler for it so I like to know did you make your hole the size of the coupler or just the size of the 1 inch pipe?

Thanks
Clarence
First I traced out where I wanted the hole by placing the pipe or coupler over the area. I then made a pilot hole in the center with my largest drill bit. I used a drum sanding bit on my dremel to bore out the rest. This sanding bit moves alot of resin fast so remember to wear a respirator. Hope this helps.
Thanks so I am taking it you traced out the coupler as it is a little bigger then the pipe correct? I am also going to make sure I look at where you made your hole which I am sure you made it where it has the bigger detail piece on the top of the BSG?

DNA
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#56 Post by DNA »

Yes, I traced out the coupler first and placed it above where the larger round detail piece will go (on the top side). If you trace it exactly and bore out the hole to the line, it will still be a little small and that's OK. You want to then slowly and evenly make the hole bigger a little at a time until the coupler squeezes thru. I went with a 1 inch diameter pipe, but you may want to go with Robiwan and use a slightly smaller diameter. I wanted it a little tight and I had to twist the coupler thru until it was flush with the top side of the body (place the round detail piece over the coupler to see if it is flush). I then flipped the Galactica over and threaded the bottom pipe into the coupler and used a square ruler to make sure the pipe was straight. I then glued down the coupler and wooden supports with 5 min epoxie.

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#57 Post by DarthVader »

DNA wrote:Yes, I traced out the coupler first and placed it above where the larger round detail piece will go (on the top side). If you trace it exactly and bore out the hole to the line, it will still be a little small and that's OK. You want to then slowly and evenly make the hole bigger a little at a time until the coupler squeezes thru. I went with a 1 inch diameter pipe, but you may want to go with Robiwan and use a slightly smaller diameter. I wanted it a little tight and I had to twist the coupler thru until it was flush with the top side of the body (place the round detail piece over the coupler to see if it is flush). I then flipped the Galactica over and threaded the bottom pipe into the coupler and used a square ruler to make sure the pipe was straight. I then glued down the coupler and wooden supports with 5 min epoxie.

Thanks for all the info DNA,this will help me out alot,I was skimming through your pictures and I can not see how you connected the hanger bay arms to the main body and the hanger bays did you also bolt them? if so can you tell me how you did it?

Thanks
Clarence

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#58 Post by DarthVader »

Thanks DNA for the PM, I now see how you did the arms and ran your wiring to the landing bays,I over looked the pictures from your 1st post showing how you ran your wiring to the landing bays,I had thought you some how had the wiring going through the arms..

Clarence

Foo fighter
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#59 Post by Foo fighter »

This is an amazing project! I just stumbled on this thread and can't believe that I missed it. Thank you for sharing your progress on the build and I am hoping to pic up one of these kits ASAP. Wow. Double wow.
In space, no one can hear you scream.

DarthVader
Finger Painter

#60 Post by DarthVader »

Foo fighter wrote:This is an amazing project! I just stumbled on this thread and can't believe that I missed it. Thank you for sharing your progress on the build and I am hoping to pic up one of these kits ASAP. Wow. Double wow.
Yes this is one amazing kit and DNA and Robiwon have help me out greatly on what I need to build mine once I start it.i am sure there will more questions I will ask once I start.

Clarence