What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Post-apocalypto--Finished!

HARDWARE MODELING! With a focus on Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Concept Vehicle and Hardware subjects, including props, robots and automata

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

Post-apocalypto--Finished!

#1 Post by Rocketeer »

So the little model group I belong to is having another group build; this one's theme is Mad Max-style post-apocalyptic vehicles.

I had started on a Dodge A100 pickup with a Jeep chassis, but I just wasn't feeling the love. And then I stumbled, weary and heartsick :wink: into the local hobby shop, and saw the Revell/Monogram Bathtub Buggy. It's a colossally tasteless show car from the fertile mind of George Barris, but the more I looked at it, the more I thought something could be done with it. So:

Take a Bathtub Buggy chassis, jack up the suspension, add a dozer blade in front and a bike rack in the back:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... 1e3964.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... 704fb5.jpg

Build an armored cab,some tall exhaust pipes, and an armored nose:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... 4f9015.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... b8a5ad.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... ca600d.jpg

...and prop the whole thing together under dim light, photograph it with a shaky hand, and voila:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... 3ee045.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... 3fd882.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... 65bb55.jpg

Deadline is the Galaxy Hobby Sci-Fan contest in the fall. I think I can make it, if I don't get bogged down painting.
Last edited by Rocketeer on March 1st, 2015, 8:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Modelmaker
Master of Masking

Re: Post-apocalypto

#2 Post by Modelmaker »

Great build, I just love these kind of builds, thanks for sharing. Karl
Photograph what interests you today because tomorrow it may not exist.

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by Frank-Holger »

Woho, cool build up, lots of details (love the bike!) and looking really good so far. Now we need weapons :twisted: and a -maybe- crew! And more accessories hanging around.

Frank

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by Rocketeer »

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Since the pictures, I've added a rack for gas cans (I found some nice modern-style ones in a set of 1/24 highway emergency equipment at the local hobby store) and a storage box. Am trying to decide whether to add bull horns (from the Tijuana Taxi) to the radiator shell.

..and I've started painting. Still haven't decided on final colors, but I can do the rust undercoats (I plan to use the hairspray technique for weathering the paint) anyway.

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by Frank-Holger »

I think, in all apocalyptic scenarios, the vehicles are weathered to the max. And thats fun because you can go wild whilst painting, using hairspray, salt, modulation, sponges, mud, rust whatever. And thats really cool! Can´t wait to see some pics. And why not combining a grill with the bull horns?? :twisted: !

Frank :xmas:

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by Rocketeer »

Well, I've been painting and painting and painting. The chassis is rusty crud-colored, with flashes of color here and there:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... b539e1.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... 77d171.jpg

...and the hairspray-technique weathering on the cab and armored nose was fairly successful. It got a bit frantic, painting the base tan color, then masking and spraying the green, then masking and spraying the red. All that had to be done as quickly as I could, because you want the paint to still be soft when you scrub bits of it off under warm water. It turned out fairly well, although I didn't get any really large areas of removed paint, only little dots mostly. If I were to do it again, I'd give it another couple coats of hairspray, so as to have as uniform a layer of hairspray as I could.

After the scrubbing, I thought about it a bit and then outlined the camouflage colors with a (faded) black outline, to get that between-the-wars feel. I'll be making these pieces rustier using my beloved oil paints:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z256 ... 75164f.jpg

...and in between the exciting parts, I've been painting bits: The dashboard, the seat, a couple duffle rolls, some crates, wheels, the bathtub, a water tank (I'm on my second try on that one), a toolbox (second try), and about a zillion other bits and bobs.

Still, it's going well in general, and I think it should be done soon; maybe a month, counting the drying time for the oils.

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#7 Post by Rocketeer »

The vehicle is mostly assembled now. Now that the roof is glued on, I can make the roof support braces. After they're installed, and a few other minor details attended to, I'll pile some junk in the bathtub and start on a figure to go with it--I plan to have her perched on the pile of junk.

I had planned to mount a little side table with a wine bottle and glass on the vehicle next to the bathtub, but as I thought about it, it made less and less sense. How could the driver recline at ease in the tub, sipping wine, if it was full of junk? So now the side table will be free-standing, sitting next to the vehicle beside an overturned lawn chair; the idea being that she has been disturbed by a sudden noise, has scrambled to a high vantage point, and is now peering about through her binoculars trying to ascertain the source.

Also, at my wife's suggestion, I added a couple little grab handles to the inside of the doors. She almost always has suggestions, and they're often worth listening to ;)

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Frank-Holger »

Let me cry out for PICS!!

Frank :twisted:

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Post-apocalypto (Pics 10 Jan)

#9 Post by Rocketeer »

I plopped the Post-Apocalypto down on the dining room table this morning and took a few pictures. It's not finished; I still need to finish the bicycle that goes on the bike rack, and I need to build a figure and a base. But, still, it's pretty close to complete:

Side view:

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by Frank-Holger »

When hearing "post apocalyptic" I always think more on cars like the Mad Max stuff or tuned to the max driving Things, but you hit the nail perfectly! This little gem here is an absolute brilliant build up, loaded with details galore (love the drivers range and the bathtub idea!) and a way cool paintjob. But the icing on the cake is the small table with the wine and the chair! Hell, this all is so well executed and as you said, it cries out for one or two figures and a little scenario!

Top work here!!

Frank

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#11 Post by Rocketeer »

Thanks! :D

The bicycle is perched over the furnace in my house, paint drying; I plan to work on the figure this afternoon.

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by Frank-Holger »

Yeah, would be cool to see this! I am curious with what figure concept you will come up with! Do you sculpt a complete new figure or alter a kit?

Frank

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#13 Post by Rocketeer »

Frank-Holger wrote:Do you sculpt a complete new figure or alter a kit?
I am no sculptor at all ;) In 1/24th, I usually start with one of the Preiser "Eve" figures, repose as necessary, and then add clothing made from Milliput. Some time ago I made rubber molds for various heads, torsos, legs, and boots, and I use resin bits to augment the Preisers. The two figures with this model both started out as Eves.
Last edited by Rocketeer on January 12th, 2015, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tidroplane
Master of Masking

#14 Post by tidroplane »

That is really looking fantastic Steve, can't wait to see it with the bicycle!
Dave Hawley

Listen to them, children of the night, what music they make!

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#15 Post by Hunter Rose »

This looks so great, I love it!
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery! ~ Black Dynamite

Duke Fleed
Master of Masking

#16 Post by Duke Fleed »

Terrific .
Bravo
Daniel Moreira

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#17 Post by Frank-Holger »

Ah, Rocketeer, thats sounds double interesting because I too love working with the Preiser Adam and Eve stuff a lot. They are perfect for that and the faces are not bad. Can´t wait to see how you tackle them!!

Frank

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Post-apocalypto (Some progress on a figure)

#18 Post by Rocketeer »

Here's a shot of the figure in progress:

There's a considerable amount of cleanup that'll need to be done, but I think she's coming along fairly well. Her one eye is drilled out because the binoculars will be pinned in place while I work on her arms. She'll have an Eisenhower jacket in medium green, curly black hair, white blouse, black tie and slacks, and a big wristwatch eventually.

ira
Earl of Epoxy

#19 Post by ira »

Looks Great!
Wonderful Painting, Detailing & Weathering... 8)

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#20 Post by Frank-Holger »

Looks cool till now! I really like her Hair! The clothing is good, too, maybe some more folds on the trousers? Where do you get the shoes from?? And this is a Eva Figure from Preiser as a basis? Love it, more please!

Frank