What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Dead 209 finished.

HARDWARE MODELING! With a focus on Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Concept Vehicle and Hardware subjects, including props, robots and automata

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

The Dead 209 finished.

#1 Post by Graybeard »

I entered it in scfi vehicles at wonderfest and it was scorned lol.
That's a rough category to enter.
Also what I was trying to imply didn't translate well. It was a good learning experience for me. Some times losing is the only way to improve. I'm determined to improve.

motherhen
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

Re: The Dead 209 finished.

#2 Post by motherhen »

I never have considered a weathed 209 as they are always so bright and shiny new.

I really dig this interpretation though, nice job.
It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death.

I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.

henry pratt
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by henry pratt »

Looks great to me

joe b

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by Rocketeer »

I like it!

I, too, have had models scorned at Wonderfest--maybe we should start a club ;)
Last edited by Rocketeer on July 10th, 2015, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ira
Earl of Epoxy

#5 Post by ira »

Looks Great!
Real Nice Detailing & Weathering... 8)

dgelon
Seam Filler

#6 Post by dgelon »

I, too, think its awesome and its great that you are building it the way you want. Contests are fickle things more reliant on the tastes of the particular judges than on the merit of the model.
-Daniel

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by Graybeard »

Yeah not complaining just find vehicle model building very interesting and a lot more complex then monster kits which I also love.

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#8 Post by Ant »

Very nice job - and shows initiative to step out of the box! You could imagine there would actually be a lot that look like this due to their general lack of effectiveness...

Is this the Horizon or Argonauts kit?

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by Graybeard »

Ant wrote:Very nice job - and shows initiative to step out of the box! You could imagine there would actually be a lot that look like this due to their general lack of effectiveness...

Is this the Horizon or Argonauts kit?
This is a old Horizon kit.

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#10 Post by kevtk135 »

I really like it.
I don't know what they didn't like about it. IMHO (I've never been to WF so I dont know) but there should be definite rules for how the judging goes. Not just one guy thinks this way, and a different guy another way...
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

GrimmJimm68
Glue Sniffer

#11 Post by GrimmJimm68 »

Saw this in person at the show and thought it was fantastic!! That vehicle category at WF is insane. I almost feel this it doesn't have lights, sounds, and all the bells and whistles it doesn't stand a chance. That's why I chickened out and entered my Earth vs the Flying Saucers entry in the fantasy category. Lol.

cire-neivk
Master of Masking

#12 Post by cire-neivk »

Looks pretty cool to me!
Eric

AgentU7
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#13 Post by AgentU7 »

I dig it!!!
David LaManna

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#14 Post by kevtk135 »

GrimmJimm68 wrote:Saw this in person at the show and thought it was fantastic!! That vehicle category at WF is insane. I almost feel this it doesn't have lights, sounds, and all the bells and whistles it doesn't stand a chance. That's why I chickened out and entered my Earth vs the Flying Saucers entry in the fantasy category. Lol.

I've never been to WF yet, but that's sad to hear. Sounds like it might be time for an "out of the box" sub category.
Kev
~~~

GrimmJimm68
Glue Sniffer

#15 Post by GrimmJimm68 »

Well Kev, that's just my humble opinion as a fairly inexperienced modeler, it's just that the class of talent there is amazing (greybeard included).

I think it wouldn't hurt them to subdivide the categories a little, that being said they did hand out a hell of a lot of awards this year.

My entry didn't win either, but if I'm being honest it could have benefitted from a little more TLC on my end.

Mainly I'm in the happy I was able to get it finished category. :)

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#16 Post by kevtk135 »

GrimmJimm68 wrote:Well Kev, that's just my humble opinion as a fairly inexperienced modeler, it's just that the class of talent there is amazing (greybeard included).

I think it wouldn't hurt them to subdivide the categories a little, that being said they did hand out a hell of a lot of awards this year.

My entry didn't win either, but if I'm being honest it could have benefitted from a little more TLC on my end.

Mainly I'm in the happy I was able to get it finished category. :)
I hear ya. It's often said the best way to improve on ones model build is to judge. Now, I don't know if WF accepts "judges in training" but I know that the IPMS Nationals do, as does the Local competitions.
One of the former head judges for the IPMS Nats also gives a seminar talk every year entitled "What Judges Look For." In a humorous way using his models as well as models of other judges (so no one gets pointed out) and show mistakes, goofs and ways modelers can be lazy. Those include the appearing and disappearing panel lines etc... It's not so much for Figures, but for the hardware. I make it a point of attending it at least every other year, and I'm definitely seeing potential faults that would have gone unnoticed before.
Kev
~~~

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#17 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Graybeard wrote:I entered it in scfi vehicles at wonderfest and it was scorned lol.
Also what I was trying to imply didn't translate well. It was a good learning experience for me. Some times losing is the only way to improve. I'm determined to improve . . .
OK Paul - I HAVE to ask - what were the criticisms?

I see nothing to be adversely critical about and plenty to admire. I think this is awesome!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Graybeard
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#18 Post by Graybeard »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
Graybeard wrote:I entered it in scfi vehicles at wonderfest and it was scorned lol.
Also what I was trying to imply didn't translate well. It was a good learning experience for me. Some times losing is the only way to improve. I'm determined to improve . . .
OK Paul - I HAVE to ask - what were the criticisms?

I see nothing to be adversely critical about and plenty to admire. I think this is awesome!

To be honest this year I don't know who the judges were.
I only talked with a person who wasn't a judge and he was going on about how the weathering didn't make sense on the 209. In other words it would be hard pressed for the Ed to be in this condition.
I personally beleive I didn't think it out enough and may have went overboard . This makes it for me a good learning experience as I have never entered this type of category before.

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#19 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Graybeard wrote: . . . I only talked with a person who wasn't a judge and he was going on about how the weathering didn't make sense on the 209. In other words it would be hard pressed for the Ed to be in this condition . . .
I beg to differ - and if that was the ONLY criticism - it's not worth fussing about.

Anyone could ALSO argue that enabling an automated weapon that wasn't tested properly and couldn't negotiate stairs doesn't make sense :wink:

I think it's cool Paul - nice job!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#20 Post by kevtk135 »

Agreed.
IMHO this just help "regular modelers" scoff that those who build sci-fi genre.
ED wasn't real. It never existed in real life, so whose to say one could or couldn't have rusted that way, or wasn't cared for that way.
Like painting a dinosaur model "Who's to say there were't blue and or red dinosaurs."

There was a big fuss made at an IPMS Nationals a while ago b/c some "know it all" knocked an exquiste model of a crashed an abandoned Corsair on a beach with the water and bushes and palm trees saying "Oh the plane wouldn't have faded to the color it was painted."
It actually led to a be redo of the Nats rules for judging. Now judges determine prizes based on building skills - seams, alignment, silvering of decals etc... The only time paint factors in is if someone shows up with an Apollo 11 rocket that he (or she) painted pink or they painted a model with a paint roller.
Kev
~~~