What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

1/100 EX-36 Cosmo Tiger II by Bandai - COMPLETE pics on p2

HARDWARE MODELING! With a focus on Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Concept Vehicle and Hardware subjects, including props, robots and automata

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

1/100 EX-36 Cosmo Tiger II by Bandai - COMPLETE pics on p2

#1 Post by Hunter Rose »

Well after a much needed break from modelling for a couple of months (first one in about 6 years of going project to
project!) I've made a tentative return to the bench with a Cosmo Tiger II, I got the kit after seeing a lot of Space Battleship
Yamato models on here and other forums.

Feeling pretty pumped about this one, seems like a cool little model.

Just going OOB with this one, the kit allows for various versions to be made, allowing for the single seater fighter verson or the 2 seater with a turret gunner. I'm going for the latter, the turret is really cool.

So its time for good old sprue cutting!

Want to build as much as I can before hitting the paint stage, got the body together, there are the two bits that stick out at the back which are designed to be held in place when the body goes together. But as these are red I cut the plastic to allow them to be inserted after painting to save on masking, also did the same thing for the engine cover which slots in front.

Got the missiles/bombs stuck in place, again there is an option to add two large torpedos but I've stuck with the classic look, will sand out the seams later before painting.

Then the top and bottom fins were glued in, as were the landing gear covers, going for the in flight look, with pilots, its got to be played with! haha

Nose cone bits were added, think these are laser cannons (I've never actually watched much of the show!)

Then I want to get cracking on the cockpit to get the front end together, hit it with primer then sprayed some black over it and into the inside of the front end as some of it is visible when inserted.

Made a small start painting it, just got the side consoles painted white, when dry I'll use a wash on it and add further details. And I got the tiny pilots and chairs glued onto a ice lolly stick for ease of paining.

So thats where I'm at at the minute, next up I'll be continuing with the cockpit and pilots, and will get the seams from missiles sanded out.

Thanks for looking, more soon :)
Last edited by Hunter Rose on November 11th, 2015, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery! ~ Black Dynamite

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: 1/100 EX-36 Cosmo Tiger II by Bandai

#2 Post by Frank-Holger »

What the ...!! No Resin cockpit, no detailed interior design, no new Hasegawa Weapons, no new everything? OUT OF THE BOX?? Dude, seems you are suffering from some strange viruses, aren´t you :twisted: ?? But Joke aside, time to do the good old out of the box build up I have missed too the last years a lot... But everytime I think I could do it, the ideas start growing and there goes the plan through the drain...

Like you, I made a stop from doing anything modeling and sculpting, read tons of novels and books, collected new ideas and watched movies galore. But now, autum is coming and with lesser daylight and colourfull leaves, the mojo is back to sit down and do something. And start nerving my pals here with ridiculous phrases, hehe! Hope, you have missed it, Dude!

Frank 8)

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#3 Post by Hunter Rose »

Hi Frank! Yeah OOB for this one, need a break from the craziness of extras haha. But dont worry, once I've got this one out the way and am fully at my bench I'll be kitbashing a mech :)

I must admit it feels refreshing to just make a model out of the box
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery! ~ Black Dynamite

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by Frank-Holger »

A mech?? How cool, just my piece of cake ´cause I fell in love with this giants after reading the book from mig productions about painting and weathering them! So I stay tuned!

Frank :D

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#5 Post by Hunter Rose »

Thanks Frank, always appreciate the interest! :D

Got a bit of shed time yesterday so was able to make more progress, got the seats painted in red and gray, on the box they are just black but I went for red for a bit of interest.

And got a little more done with the figures too, man they are fiddly as hell! Painted the boots and gloves gray and gave them yellow cuffs and they have a tiny yellow arrow on their chest which went on okay but I'll neaten it up with some black later.

As you can see I also blobbed in the basic face colour, when I paint the helmets I'll neaten that up too and try to add some detail.

Did a little more work on the cockpit, a little dry brush in grey and some dots of red and yellow on the control consoles, and the good thing about this is you can fit the seats, pilots and front control console after its in the front end, so I was able to get that together too.

And as I said its gear up for this one, so I put the covers in place and got the back section on too.

For now I also got the rear turret together and painted and dry brushed the bits that go behingd the clear sections on the fron, I'll pick out some detail before I get them in place just for a bit of visual interest.

Next Up I'll finish the figures, and although not shown I've sorted the missiles so I can start spraying some blue after priming the main sections.

Trying to get this sorted asap, my son is a week overdue to be born so I'm on borrowed time and may have to shoot off at any minute!!

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by Frank-Holger »

Hey Dude, you are becoming a DADDY!! Yap, great news at all, I mean the best possible news :D ! The weathered up parts look cool. Great details in there! The plane seems not to be very big?!

Cheerio, Dad!

Frank :twisted:

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#7 Post by Hunter Rose »

Cheers Frank! Yeah my second child was born last week, so I've had my hands full!

Okay so I actually managed to grab some shed time between nappy changes, so I started by finishing off the figures.

I painted the red of the helmets, then when dry I blobbed on some yellow dots for the sides and the blue of the visor. And the final step was a grey dry brush over the black parts of the pilot suit.

Then I decided to paint the seats a lighter red more like the helmets, didn't like the burgundy much.

And now the little gunner figure is done I could get him and his seat glued into place on the turret, the back section of the gun was given another dry brush with a lighter grey, just to differentiate a bit between turret and barrels

I really want to get cracking with the main body painting, so I masked out the cockpit with some white tack, and then primed the body bits and got the nosecone on

Forgot to take a pic, but the missiles are sorted now too, so next up I'll mix up a blue and spray all the bits.

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Frank-Holger »

Gun turret looks cool! And the weathering on the seats came out great. Red is beside yellow for me the most difficult colour to dark and lighten and here, you have done extreme good work. Will you do a heavy weathering on the bird or let it be a bit cleaner??

Frank

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#9 Post by Hunter Rose »

Thanks Frank! I'm going to keep it on the clean side, just going for light weathering with pigments, no heavy chipping or battle damage

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by Frank-Holger »

OK, in this case: MAKE IT COLOURFULL!!

Frank

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#11 Post by Hunter Rose »

haha! Will do Frank!

Managed to snag some shed time, and have actually managed to get some time to update my progress!

Started by mixing up my blue, I used tamiya sky blue and sky grey to make the toned down blue of the tiger. Wanted to keep it more on the blue side compared to the box photos, to keep it more like the classic anime look (to me anyway!)

So then I could get all the blue bits painted with my airbrush

Once dry I painted an acrylic mix of black/silver/brown over the engines, this will be dry brushed when dry and then the engine cover can go on.

Then I masked out the black stripe that goes from the cockpit to the nose cone, sprayed it with black vallejo as it was out on the bench,

Couldn't resist also taking off the cockpit mask too as its in no danger now, also hand painted the small section at the back of the cockpit black.

I've started cutting and cleaning up the clear parts, really need to get the turret dome sorted so I can get it in place and then whack the airframe together.

So thats what I'm doing next, as well as spraying the red on the missiles, nose tip and pointy rear engine parts

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#12 Post by Hunter Rose »

Just a tiny update, snuck back in the shed and got the guys in the cockpit, Im pretty happy with it so thought id share

Just working on.the control console for the front of the tub and that's the interior done!

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by Frank-Holger »

A real nice little build up! And it shows, that coming up with something more or less straight from the box could satisfy the viewer, too! I think, there is no need for superdetailing, weathering and scratchin´ all kits to the max. It is big fun to come up with "only" a clean build and top notch paint job! Burn on, Dude, looks really cool!

Frank

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#14 Post by Hunter Rose »

Cheers Frank, yeah its a nice change for me to go strictly OOB makes it quite a relaxing build, but I'm already feeling the itch of my next project! I've started going through my spares boxes and stashed kits for my 1/48 kitbashed mech I'll be doing next, been wanting to do a mech for such a long time and cant wait to get going with it!

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by Frank-Holger »

Yeah, me too! Can´t wait for your build of a Mech!! I haven´t build one till now and would love to do it, too. There is a cool book about the painting of Mechs from Mig Productions I have in my stash. Great painting tips and coloiur schemes in there. Any idea what kit(s) you will use? And I guess, there will be LOTS of stuff we can discuss. Maybe I will decide to do a broken one, rotten on the ground with lots of interior design and machinery visible. OK, we will see.

But first back to the stuff we do at the moment. What colours will you use on the flying thing here? Any ideas for a base or will you do it in-flight?

Cheers, Frank 8)

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#16 Post by Hunter Rose »

I dont want to give too much away yet, but the part for the main body is going to be an apache cockpit, as I really like the look of it :) For this one, the kit does actually come with a little black stand which is pretty cool, so I'll be doing it in flight on that.

Okay, update time. Rear engine cover is on, I did dry brush the engine with some silver but forgot to a pic before I put the cover on!

And got the front console sorted for the cockpit, started by painting it black, then painted the hud clear green and got some dash detail on. Its really not clear in the photos but the hud isn't quite as dark as it looks.

Then got it stuck in place, so thats the tub finished.

Now its time for some red, sprayed the rear pointy bits with some tamiya flat red

And then just used some vallejo acrylic red with a brush for the nose tip

I think I'm going to brush paint the same red onto the missile tips, saves all the faffing with masking tape on such small bits, and the vallejo red goes on well.

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#17 Post by kevtk135 »

I came upon this thread late, but WOW excellent work. awesome job on those teeny pilots too!
A big congrats on your family addition! I gotta hand it to you -when my son came along all those years ago sleep over took the need for modeling every time. :wink:
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#18 Post by Frank-Holger »

Really cool it gets when the youngsters are old enought to discover how they could play with Dad figures and models! :twisted: !! Then it is time to check out some medicine to keep your nervs calm and some good drink not to cry, when your 300 $ plus figure lies broken on the floor and you have now a 20 part puzzle, harhar!

Frank :|

Hunter Rose
Jack of all Trades

#19 Post by Hunter Rose »

kevtk135 wrote:I came upon this thread late, but WOW excellent work. awesome job on those teeny pilots too!
A big congrats on your family addition! I gotta hand it to you -when my son came along all those years ago sleep over took the need for modeling every time. :wink:
Cheers Kev! Must admit a lack of sleep has slowed me down a bit this week!
Frank-Holger wrote:Really cool it gets when the youngsters are old enought to discover how they could play with Dad figures and models! :twisted: !! Then it is time to check out some medicine to keep your nervs calm and some good drink not to cry, when your 300 $ plus figure lies broken on the floor and you have now a 20 part puzzle, harhar!

Frank :|
I dont even want to think about that Frank! Hopefully it will never happen [-o< :D

Just a small update, got the red tail bits in place after giving them a second coat of red (it was a little dark with just 1)

And got the red missile tips painted on with some scarlet enamel paint(decided aginst acrylics, the enamels are more solid with one coat)

Only other thing I've done is spray the main body parts with some future floor polish thinned with a bit of tamiya acrylic thinner

So next up when thats dry I'll do all the panel line detail with a flory wash

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#20 Post by Frank-Holger »

Comes out great so far! The missiles do look better than I thought (from a detail point of view that means). Maybe I would use some Hasegawa or Plus Model replacement missiles (the modern stuff they use in the Air Force look more SF like thant, hum, SF kit missiles, hehe! What´s about some stenceling on the weapons?

Frank