What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Applying decals- need help!

HARDWARE MODELING! With a focus on Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Concept Vehicle and Hardware subjects, including props, robots and automata

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Foo fighter
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

Applying decals- need help!

#1 Post by Foo fighter »

I hate applying decals and my experience yesterday confirms my dislike for this essential step in my project. Here is my dilemma... what can I do to minimize the clear decal material that was not trimmed from the original image? And... what is the best way to seal the decal once it has dried? These are water slide by the way. I know that there are decal "setting" solutions but which one is best to use and I've even thought about spraying the decal with a flat or matte enamel but Im concerned about screwing up the decal. Any help would be appreciated.
In space, no one can hear you scream.

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Re: Applying decals- need help!

#2 Post by billikenmonster »

I just used some eye decals on a kit it made the kit look great but it was frustrating and nerve wracking but rewarding it was my equivalent of open heart surgery. first relax take your time set up your operating room. you will need a pair of small brush, fine point tweesers a bobby pin with the little plastic ball on the end warm water a qtip and good light. take your time and with your exacto knife cut as close to the decal itself to minimize the excess decal part. cut out the piece put it in the water for no more than 10 seconds separate the back off it pick it up with the treesers or the bobby pin and place it shift it to where it has to go carefully using the brush and the tools. onec it is set in place it may take several attempts let it dry over night and seal it with solvaset from the hobby shop. then let that dry over night and then you can use clear gloss if it is an eye. if you make a mistake like I did by hitting it with dull coat you can regloss it but it would be best to cover it with silly putty if you dull coat it. I would recommend you practice with an old military kit that has decals to get the hang of it ....good luck and have fun

Foo fighter
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#3 Post by Foo fighter »

Thank you for useful tips- what brand of solvaset do you recommend? I was looking at the Micro sol and Micro set products which seem great for the application part, but what about after the decal has been applied and set? My other concern is the excess decal material which looks cheesy. This is a large tank model so I need a matte finish but I am concerned about spraying an acrylic enamel (?) over the decal for fear it will yellow or eat through the decal. One of my problems on this particular build was the age of the decals. I had to leave a lot of material on the decal because they were falling apart almost at will. I solved one problem and created another. Any thoughts?

Ant
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by Ant »

you must apply decals over a gloss surface otherwise the clear parts will appear whitish (know as silvering).

The basic workflow is
Paint your kit as normal.
Apply a gloss coat.
Apply decals.
Apply a matt coat if the original finish was supposed to be matt

Done right, and the decals will appear as if they were painted on. There must be a ton of videos on youtube with more detailed info

SteveG
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by SteveG »

I basically do what Ant said i brush some Winsor & Newton acrylic gloss uv varnish a bit beyond where the decal will go leave to dry, then paint over the same area with micro set apply the decal using a paint brush to pick it up and slide it into position, useing a cotten budd gently work out any bubbles and remove any excess micro set,

I leave to dry for a few hours then coat the decal with micro sol gently brushed on, the decal will be very soft and can be carefully repositioned if needed, leave to dry over night and brush or spray your choice of varnish matt or gloss if your happy with the decal,

If your not happy with the decal apply more micro sol work it over the decal until it is soft and remove it and try again

Works fine for me,

As Ant said look on yotube for micro sol micro set

Foo fighter
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by Foo fighter »

Thanks guys. I picked up a bottle of micro sol this afternoon. My initial mistake was applying decals on a matte surface. Off to YouTube and thanks again.

Warped Speed
Squire of the Sprue

#7 Post by Warped Speed »

Foo fighter wrote:Thanks guys. I picked up a bottle of micro sol this afternoon. My initial mistake was applying decals on a matte surface. Off to YouTube and thanks again.
Yep, a matt finish WIL NOT work for proper decal placement. Gloss only!

Carl-

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#8 Post by Rocketeer »

After you've applied all your decals and they're thoroughly dry, and before you apply a clear overcoat, you should gently wash the decal area with lukewarm water or wipe it with a damp washcloth. Otherwise, leftover decal adhesive and/or decal setting chemicals can yellow under your clearcoat.

Ken Kwil
Jack of all Trades

#9 Post by Ken Kwil »

I have run into some decals that just wouldn't separate from the paper. Most recent where I had this problem was with s START brand model. This was a Russian made model kit.

If the decal is having a problem coming off the backing paper, its sometimes best to leave it in the water until it releases. Or it will crack on you. Too long in water and then you have a floating decal that can curl up, making it useless.