What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Advanced Research Colonizer

HARDWARE MODELING! With a focus on Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Concept Vehicle and Hardware subjects, including props, robots and automata

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

veedubb67
Seam Filler

Advanced Research Colonizer

#1 Post by veedubb67 »

I've been waiting to build this kit since I preordered it last April when it was first announced!

Arkhitect Advanced Research Colonizer (ARC), the first production by Dream Gear, is a 1/3000 spacecraft based upon the Iwata HP-C Plus airbrush. Two versions are offered (standard and special edition). I ordered the limited-edition Iwata version that contains special Iwata panels.

The kit engineering and details are outstanding and rival the quality of Bandai Gundam or Star Wars kits. It’s designed as a press-together model, so no styrene cement is required. The majority of the seam lines are well hidden and there were only a few sink marks visible that were easily covered up. The completed kit is about 11 inches long. Clever engineering conceals the entire lighting system that consists of 22 LEDs and 6 printed circuit boards powered by a USB connection hidden within the stand (power supply not included). The only issue I ran into were the thin wires connected to the PCBs easily broke and required resoldering. I also reinforced the connections with a dab of hot glue.

I opted to paint mine with various shades of Tamiya greys and AV washes to highlight all the details. To add some contrast, I painted the reactor core and rings Copper. The base didn’t light up as brightly as expected so I covered it up with a leftover R2/Polar Lights base painted to look like a nebula. I roughed out the basic shapes with my Artool Organic templates and then added colors with transparent paints. I busted out my Iwata Micron to add highlights and details. Once I was happy with the overall look, I created a starfield by removing the nozzle cap off my Iwata Eclipse and splattered the stars.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Advanced Research Colonizer

#2 Post by timetraveler »

Totally cool. The detailing is excellent, and the base turned out great! :D

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#3 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Very cool, colors, base and lighting are out of this world.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Big Daddy Dave H
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#4 Post by Big Daddy Dave H »

LOVE IT! Excellent work. How large is this kit? 22 LED? It must be bigger than I thought.

veedubb67
Seam Filler

#5 Post by veedubb67 »

Big Daddy Dave H wrote:LOVE IT! Excellent work. How large is this kit? 22 LED? It must be bigger than I thought.
When completed, it's about 11 inches long.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

Warped Speed
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by Warped Speed »

I'm curios, how well does it spray? Is it easy to clean? :roll:

Well done on the ship but the base stands out for me!

You get a cookie...

Carl-