What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Oh, this makes my heart ACHE!

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

ignatz
Site Admin
Knight of the Round Bench

Re: Oh, this makes my heart ACHE!

#21 Post by ignatz »

I don't think anyone is vilifying any model company, Tom. Just lamenting what could've been. And thanks for your valuable insight into the industry that we love so much. It's a view that most of us don't have. But like anything else that's built on passion, it doesn't matter how big the pile gets, there's always room for more. :D
Steven

CALM DOWN. It's only a hobby.

Oh, and MODEL ON!

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#22 Post by Cult of Personality »

Steven; you and I have had enough conversations to where I think you know EXACTLY how I feel about Mr Lowe and his contributions to the hobby. The ONLY thing that really surprised me about that list of kits is that they were EVER announced at all! Pretty sure it was because they were pet projects of TL; equally sure that the shorter leash his creditors have him on is what killed them.
Bottom line is constantly shifting and from what I have gathered, the cost of tooling a kit has TRIPLED since 2007 when Moebius entered the fray with the long awaited Jekyll. The previous drought of new non-GK figures, has, in the intervening years, turned into a virtual GLUT and the market becomes trickier and fraught with danger. NOT a place for the weak of heart (nor MIND for that matter 8) ) But to close on a POSITIVE note; for the past several weeks I have had a test shot of the Moebius '66 Batman (well, Adam West's cowled head anyway) sitting on top of my monitor watching me silently* as I type away on my keyboard, reminding me before summer's end it will be hitting store shelves, allowing the debate to begin anew. But I digress. Back in the day, Aurora would have done this as a two piece assembly; front half, back half. The Moebius unit is broken down into SIX pieces; left and right cowl halves (split where a seam exists on the actual costume) a separate portrait AW face, the faceplate then left and right ears. At the VERY least this will make it much easier to paint; for the detail enthusiast it gives the opportunity to sand details down to near scale thickness w/o obliterating the overall shape of the unit or surrounding detail! WAY cool Frank, kudos!
Tom

* Even as far descended into my sickness as I am, I DO realize the conversations "Little Adam" and I are having ARE in my imagination. Anyone ever see the episode of "Big Bang" where Sheldon is tormented by an eight inch Mego Spock (voiced by Nimoy)?
'Tis truly a classic! :D
Last edited by Cult of Personality on June 18th, 2014, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

ignatz
Site Admin
Knight of the Round Bench

#23 Post by ignatz »

Definitely, Tom. Gently I go with popcorn in hand. :P

We don't see the drama and the egos from this end of the hobby, nor the maneouvering required to move a project from idea to actual product on the store shelves, we just live in the excitement and anticipation of a new kit. The anticipation is the worse part.

I'm looking forward to that Batman kit when it hits the shelves. Frank is the bee's knees!
Steven

CALM DOWN. It's only a hobby.

Oh, and MODEL ON!

chasd25
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#24 Post by chasd25 »

ignatz wrote:Definitely, Tom. Gently I go with popcorn in hand. :P
LOL!

Honestly I was surprised by the Wizard of Oz announcement, I really didn't think there was a market for it. Same for Thor.....so to see them cancelled is not a surprise to me. Figures are such a small niche in the hobby.

Hopefully R2 can mine the depths of the HAWK and Lindberg Catalog. There are some real gems in those lines if the tooling still exists. I sent Jaime a list of about 20-30 kits from Hawk & lindberg that haven't been available in years! There are also some great kits in the old AMT line they will hopefully get to (I See they are planning on rereleasing the Hindenburg, which is great!)

"Mother Nature bats last"

westbatman
Jack of all Trades

#25 Post by westbatman »

Tom, while I LOVE the Batman kit coming out by Mobius the original Batman cowl did not have a seam down the center of the cowl :). Hot Toys got it wrong too but the Mobius kit is the Bees Knees! I would also have loved the climbing kit, it's been my dream kit for some time and the after market ideas would have been great!

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#26 Post by Cult of Personality »

Andy; the "darting" (or WHATEVER you call that seam that runs down the back of the cowl from about one third of the way down from the top and ends where the fabric bunches at the base of the neck) is SCULPTED in on the very edge of the left and right cowl halves creating a groove where the parts come together. I'm guessing when you sand the seam to eliminate the UNWANTED seam area, this groove will be more subtle (and scale appropriate.) They DEFINITELY made good use of the pics from Chuck! :D
Tom
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

halloweenfan 1978
Master of Masking

#27 Post by halloweenfan 1978 »

Tom, in all honesty, I would trust your informed opinions any day of the week.
James Nichols
Gu deoch... to drink; Gu cairdean... to friends; Gu Spors... to fun

westbatman
Jack of all Trades

#28 Post by westbatman »

Tom, that's correct. I thought you were saying the original cowl had a seam down the center of the top of the cowl. Chuck is the most knowledgeable person I know on the 66 Batman costumes. I am looking forward to these kits!

jackshield
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#29 Post by jackshield »

There are more kits out there than I have money ...
Holy crap, I had not considered this.
Since I cannot dictate what kits are released, apparently I need more money.

dj53
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#30 Post by dj53 »

You'll be able to save a few more bucks... the Alien Queen is also cancelled...
Denis
My Name is Denis McDougall
I collect Aurora monster models and now Monarch and Moebius as well...
....and I've turned into a Resin Head ...

chasd25
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#31 Post by chasd25 »

dj53 wrote:You'll be able to save a few more bucks... the Alien Queen is also cancelled...
Denis
I'm not too surprised. That would have been one very expensive kit to do in Styrene.

Read the interview with Jamie in the latest AFM, pretty interesting read.

Charlie
"Mother Nature bats last"

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#32 Post by timetraveler »

Its unfortunate that R2 cancelled the Kong. It looked great and I was under the impression it was going to be a resin (???)release from them. Perhaps as an attempt to diversify the product line and achieve different market penetration. I was very disapointed to not see it available at Wonderfest this year. I do commend Scott for trying to obtain the prototype. I'm sure he could do a great job with it. I look forward to building that kit at some future date. :wink:

eradicator178
Finger Painter

#33 Post by eradicator178 »

It is really sad that the Kong model was cancelled due to the fact that Legendary Pictures has announced a prequel for Kong. It is supposed to come out November of 2016.

http://sciencefiction.com/2014/07/29/le ... ll-island/

TRENDON
Squire of the Sprue
Location: The Body rests in Transilvania but my Heart is always in New Hampshire.

#34 Post by TRENDON »

Night-Owl wrote:Nope not the Aurora tooling, the display I saw at last year's WF showed Batman & Robin climbing the side of a building.
That would have been COOL!

:vampire: