What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

polar lights new mummy kit ?

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

snoodles
Seam Filler

polar lights new mummy kit ?

#1 Post by snoodles »

OK I understand why the armor and aviation guys go over the panel lines with black . just primed some of the polar lights new mummy kit ( not the aurora reissue ) and wonder on the coffin part if I did that in the cracks and crevices would it appear darker or as a shadow ? I have been bitten by the resin bug and would like to step it up on my plastic kits . What do you all do for shadows on a kit like this? Thanks for the info :P
dr glue fingers

ignatz
Site Admin
Knight of the Round Bench

Re: polar lights new mummy kit ?

#2 Post by ignatz »

I think it may look too cartoony with black paint. In hardware modeling, the pin washes used to accent panel lines are usually a dilute black wash. Sometimes I see hardware modelers apply too dark a wash and it over exaggerates the panel lines. Maybe try a pin wash with a darkened version of your base color to start with and slowly build up the effect until you're happy with it.
Steven

CALM DOWN. It's only a hobby.

Oh, and MODEL ON!

qtan
Jack of all Trades

#3 Post by qtan »

I agree with Ignatz that the black wash would be too dark. I tend to use a raw umber or a raw umber/black mix and use it more as a glaze than a true wash. After wiping away the excess, that will tend to stain the surface as well as get into the crevasses, evening out the transition from one area to the other.

Rob P.
Seam Filler

#4 Post by Rob P. »

I am currently using the sarcophagus in a mummy kit bash diorama. I painted mine flat black, then used varying shades of brown dry brushed to get the look I wanted. With some detail painting it can really stand out. Here is where I am at if it helps you decide...............

Rob

snoodles
Seam Filler

#5 Post by snoodles »

Thanks for the tips. rob p that looks awesome . I will post some pics when I get into it thanks
dr glue fingers

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#6 Post by kevtk135 »

IMHO if you do use the dark wash (doesn't have to be black) I would come back over it with your base color, drybrushing.
I've been really enjoying the techniques pulled from the mini guys -

prime>basecoat> wash> heavy basecoat drybrush> highlight drybrush 1> highlight drybrush 2

Really brings out the depth IMHO. 8)
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

snoodles
Seam Filler

#7 Post by snoodles »

Thanks for the tip will put up wip pics when I get into it.
dr glue fingers