What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Flash Gordon

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Flash Gordon

#1 Post by billikenmonster »

Anybody find a good solution to the clear helmet yet? On buckwheat site a producer made a great base for it.

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

Re: Flash Gordon

#2 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

billikenmonster wrote:Anybody find a good solution to the clear helmet yet? On buckwheat site a producer made a great base for it.
I forgot the name of the product and a lot of model car guys use it.When get home later post the name of it.But in the meantime testors makes it.
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#3 Post by billikenmonster »

I was looking for a solid clear bubble helmet with out the seam I was thinking someone may have found one that worked I think that wizard of oz thread might have some of the options

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

#4 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

billikenmonster wrote:I was looking for a solid clear bubble helmet with out the seam I was thinking someone may have found one that worked I think that wizard of oz thread might have some of the options
Here it is the stuff used and it dos work.Its put out by testors :arrow: Testor Model Master 8876C Clear Parts Cement and Window Maker, 1/2 fl. Oz.
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#5 Post by billikenmonster »

thank you for that

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

#6 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

billikenmonster wrote:thank you for that
No Problem! 8)

Chuck
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Glue Sniffer

#7 Post by Chuck »

I was able to cut down a light bulb using a dremel cut off wheel to scribe the glass. If you try this tape the light bulb and wear goggles! I also make the base you mentioned.

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#8 Post by billikenmonster »

Hey Chuck I bought one of your bases for this kit and I plan on buying the base for Phantom . I had tried to cut the lightbulb as well with no success I eventually had a friend of mine who is a glass blower make me a dozen I had them for sale at Jerseyfest for $16 I am getting more in as soon as he recovers from the hurricane he lives in NC they are nice

kitbuilder
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#9 Post by kitbuilder »

Billikenmonster,

Please provide more details on the Glass Blowing option!!! Which kit did you get the glass blown for?? Flash Gordon or the Wizard of Oz, or both!!? I would be interested in that for sure!!!

Thanks,

Mark Warthling
Mark Warthling
aka kitbuilder

veedubb67
Seam Filler

#10 Post by veedubb67 »

I bought a clear glass helmet from a guy at JerseyFest that fits perfectly on his head.

Found this on a Hobby Talk thread:
Next Steve Marciante, "bilikenmonster" on The Clubhouse forums, has done what they said couldn't be done: he has had made one piece glass helmets to replace the kit item. Steve's helmet will fit over Flash's head, which the two-piece plastic helmet can't. That means you could twist off the helmet from a completed figure and slip the new one on painlessly. Supplies of the glass helmets are running low; to quote Steve "...I think I have 4 left but I can get more..." At $16 each, these are a great addition to the model. Contact Steve for yours at: billikenmonster@gmail.com.

Rob
Iwata Padawan

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#11 Post by billikenmonster »

Hello.... the guy at jerseyfest was me. I'm so glad you liked the way it turned out, thank you for the kind words. I am supposed to be getting more in soon

Chuck
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Glue Sniffer

#12 Post by Chuck »

Here's the helmet I cut from a lightbulb for my kit.

david5877
Glue Sniffer

#13 Post by david5877 »

To All, I just purchased a helmet from Steve and it is worth the $16.00, it is beautifully done. Hopefully he has received his past order, its worth the money.
It is said that life is a figment of our imagination - Then I must be living in a fantasy world

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#14 Post by billikenmonster »

Chuck you are a much better hobbyist than me I did try that even buying a glass scribing tool I put on goggles and gloves broke out the dremmel and made a terrible mess of it all my hat goes off to you for doing this proving it can be done.

Chuck
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Glue Sniffer

#15 Post by Chuck »

Thanks, though I must admit I was surprised it worked and I suspect it may have been beginners luck. Also, FWIW the bulb is not the same size as the collar so I have some work to do there to make it match up. Sounds like the custom made alternative may be more desirable for those who have the cash. In any case, the kit supplied two piece plastic dome just irks me.