What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Apollo 11 Eagle by Monogram

HARDWARE MODELING! With a focus on Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Concept Vehicle and Hardware subjects, including props, robots and automata

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

Apollo 11 Eagle by Monogram

#1 Post by Trekkriffic »

Here are some photos of my latest finished project- a 1/48 scale Apollo 11 Eagle, the LEM used during the first lunar landing back in 1969. The model sits about 10 inches above the base which features a lunar surface decal made for me by MEATLOAFr:

ImageApollo 11 Eagle by trekriffic, on Flickr

Closer view:

Below are photos of the wooden shipping crate I custom built for shipment to So Cal. Care was taken to ensure nothing came in contact with
the model's more fragile photo-etch and resin bits. The base locks in using foam and foam padded wooden blocks; another padded wooden block sandwiches the acrylic rod at about the middle of the box (one half in the box and the other half on the underside of the lid); and a padded conical wooden dowel docks with the conical upper hatch of the LEM to lock it in place. I built the crate using plywood and birch cut on my portable table saw before being glued and screwed together:

ImageWooden Shipping Crate by trekriffic, on Flickr

ImageLEm in Crate by trekriffic, on Flickr

The lid with stenciled lettering done using a black marking pen:

ImageCrate lid by trekriffic, on Flickr

Special instructions were included to ensure a successful LEM deployment:

ImageSpecial Instructions by trekriffic, on Flickr

llricmc
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: Apollo 11 Eagle by Monogram

#2 Post by llricmc »

Very creative way to display the model. It looks so realistic with allthe additional details.
Ric McHone

Trekkriffic
Jack of all Trades

Re: Apollo 11 Eagle by Monogram

#3 Post by Trekkriffic »

llricmc wrote:Very creative way to display the model. It looks so realistic with allthe additional details.
Thanks for the compliment. ;D

The LEM arrived in Valencia, CA unscathed aside from one landing pad that mysteriously popped loose during transit. It was easily fixed though as I got on the phone with the client and walked him through how to repair it with Plastic Surgery glue and a little patience.

Anyway, thought I'd just go ahead and share these images he sent me of the Eagle in its new home...

ImageLEM in Cabinet 006 by trekriffic, on Flickr

ImageLEM in Cabinet 011 by trekriffic, on Flickr

ImageLEM in Cabinet 012 by trekriffic, on Flickr

ImageLEM in Cabinet 014 by trekriffic, on Flickr

ImageLEM in Cabinet 013 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Interestingly, on the shelf below the Eagle and the 1/6th scale Neil Armstrong figure there is a horse-drawn stagecoach. Sort of a nice contrast pointing out how far we had come technologically in the span of just one century.