What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

New Moebius Riddler Questions

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

SuperElvis
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

New Moebius Riddler Questions

#1 Post by SuperElvis »

I just picked up the Moebius Riddler kit at my LHS last week, and have been doing some cleanup and sub-assembly work. I hate to be a complainer -- especially on these great '66 Bat-kits -- but a few things have me scratching my head in dismay:

1. What happened to the likeness of Frank Gorshin and the expression on this face/head? I mean, the box illustration is PERFECT, but even the great David Fisher couldn't make this head look good in the buildup! Yikes!!! Is there any indication of someone producing a decent replacement head for this kit?
2. Did anyone else notice that BOTH of the heads in this kit assume you would use the mask? I say this because, if you don't use the mask, you need to use putty to sculpt the missing section of his sideburns! That seems like a big oversight, IMO. Since The Riddler (either Frank Gorshin or John Astin) never wore the bowler hat WITH the mask (as far as I can tell, this was started in the comics or animations), shouldn't they have had the mask only on the non-hatted version of the head?
3. Anyone else notice that his double-breasted suit is missing 3 of the buttons on the front, as well as the 2 buttons on each sleeve cuff?

Is it just me, or have the rest of you identified these issues, as well?

Tony
"Thank ya... Thank ya very much..."
-SuperElvis

Glusniffer
Knight of the Round Bench

Re: New Moebius Riddler Questions

#2 Post by Glusniffer »

I have this kit on the bench and in progress. I'm pretty happy with the likeness but would have preferred a smiling Riddler. The instructions mention that if you used the alternative head you might have to do some creative work around the sideburns. I would find that challenging if I were going that route. As far as the buttons I didn't even notice. Overall I'm really happy with this kit. 8)

My review in the GK database.... http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 6&t=116472
Jeff doesn't follow directions.
Jeff doesn't pay attention.
Jeff doesn't use time wisely,
Jeff doesn't play well with others......

dmorrissette
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#3 Post by dmorrissette »

Tony:

I think the likeness is excellent for Frank Gorshin. Would resin perk it up, possibly. As to the sideburns, every picture I find shows none so the mold is accurate. And the buttons are missing

Agree with sniffer though, a smiling version would be cool. Might have been dictated by the studio though

Dave

Zombie_61
Earl of Epoxy

#4 Post by Zombie_61 »

SuperElvis wrote:...1. What happened to the likeness of Frank Gorshin and the expression on this face/head? I mean, the box illustration is PERFECT, but even the great David Fisher couldn't make this head look good in the buildup!...
I don't have the kit and have only seen photos of it built-up and painted, but I think the face looks more like a bad female impersonator doing Barbara Streisand than Frank Gorshin. Of course, all of these kits have to go through an approval process, so someone somewhere decided this was the sculpt they wanted.

That being said, Moebius has had problems in the past with regards to likenesses. Somewhere in the process of creating the molds from the master sculpts, for whatever reason they occasionally lose about 10%-15% of the width, and that throws the likeness off. This was definitely a problem with their Bride of Frankenstein kit, in which both the Bride's and the Monster's faces and heads were too narrow. I don't know if that was the issue with their Riddler kit, but from what I've seen the face does appear to be narrower/longer than Gorshin's.
The older I get, the better it was.

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by scuzzfink85 »

That is interesting I can see why everybody wanted resin head replacements
they should make available again.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021