What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Möbius death dealer

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Möbius death dealer

#101 Post by Tiger2 »

I'm going to have to wait until it gets a cross the pond and into the shops here, it's usually cheaper than ordering direct as they can buy in bulk. Unfortunately the shipping, VAT and import duty will probably double the price of the kit, if not more, if I order it direct :(

Paul

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#102 Post by Buc Wheat »

tower hobbies has them for $52.99

ausf
Seam Filler

#103 Post by ausf »

I got mine through OmniModels (division of Tower) for $50.

I thought I was going to blow through it quickly, I cleared the bench to get it done fast but once I built it I decided I wanted to do some alterations to be true to the painting.

Not complaining mind you, it's a great kit but Moebius is interpreting it as a human when I always thought of he as being more along Reaper lines.

I wanted to work on the chain mail and a few other details to reflect the original and of course I needed to go fiber optics in the glowing red eyes...

Plausible deniability.

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#104 Post by tay666 »

:like
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#105 Post by Scooke123 »

The fiber optics in the eyes really make a difference. I may have to use them when I do mine.
Steve Cooke

ausf
Seam Filler

#106 Post by ausf »

Thanks guys.
Scooke123 wrote:The fiber optics in the eyes really make a difference. I may have to use them when I do mine.
Changing the resistance gives some interesting results. I'm leaning towards either going with a fade effect similar to breathing or if I use Arduino, I could put a motion sensor in the base so when someone gets in front of it, it'll occasionally blink.
Plausible deniability.

csoldier
Squire of the Sprue

#107 Post by csoldier »

Tiger2 wrote:I'm going to have to wait until it gets a cross the pond and into the shops here, it's usually cheaper than ordering direct as they can buy in bulk. Unfortunately the shipping, VAT and import duty will probably double the price of the kit, if not more, if I order it direct :(

Paul
Paul,

I ordered from Toyheroes on Evilbay (UK) as they dropped £10 off the original price (still came in at £79.99 with free shipping :? ), but I may have got the last one at that price - only saw the price drop by accident when closing down the laptop!

Even my usual US ebay outlet stvb, couldn't supply it at this price (shipping) and even though I've never been stung by customs from him I didn't think it worth the chance this time.

Annoyingly we have just spent two weeks in Orlando, Florida, but I didn't dare desert the Mouse Kingdom to search for models :lol:

Hopefully it will arrive by Monday, but My Hermes is the carrier :( !!!!!

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#108 Post by Tiger2 »

Thanks for the info mate, I have seen it on the ToyHeros website for around £80, quite a chunk for a styrene kit but then again, whoever thaught Frazetta's masterpiece would ever be available as a mainstream, styrene model kit?! We've got the Avon IPMS show in Bristol next weekend, I'm hoping some traders might have them available.
Are you going to the UKGK show next month? Hope to see you there!

Paul

csoldier
Squire of the Sprue

#109 Post by csoldier »

Tiger2 wrote:Thanks for the info mate, I have seen it on the ToyHeros website for around £80, quite a chunk for a styrene kit but then again, whoever thaught Frazetta's masterpiece would ever be available as a mainstream, styrene model kit?! We've got the Avon IPMS show in Bristol next weekend, I'm hoping some traders might have them available.
Are you going to the UKGK show next month? Hope to see you there!

Paul
Happy hunting Paul :wink: , all being well I should be at the show, not long moved house so still looking to find things, LOL. Certainly won't have this built by then :lol:

Dave

android
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#110 Post by android »

So, first thing I wanted to do was a bunch of mods, but then I figured I'd never get them done, so I just built it straight up out of the box. I did notch the axe.

I got a few more tiny things to do, but I don't think it'll make a difference to the overall look.

Oh, I have to get more chain for the sword. I didn't end up with nearly enough.

I may get another one and go all out....
LED eyes
sculpt in the hair at the top of the mane
make it a real stallion
put the dripping blood on the axe
straps for the shield

Still I like the overall look and proportions..

When you cut the chains, be sure to count out the links so you end up with the rings hanging the right way.

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#111 Post by tay666 »

That looks great!

And man, those ideas you have for detailing sound pretty impressive too.

I wonder if I will do any tweaking when I finally get around to doing mine.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

doane100
Master of Masking

#112 Post by doane100 »

Looks good android!

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#113 Post by Tiger2 »

Considering this is a good old-fashioned styrene model kit, I think this looks fantastic, your painting of the horse is particularly effective.

I was reading the Frazetta book, 'ICON' recently, an excellent reference for all of his work over his career. He maintained that he painted his best work quickly, when he had a vision in mind and just had to get it down on canvas. He painted the Death Dealer for a book jacket originally, and had it finished in about a day! This is why his paintings are full of so much life, atmosphere and movement, the paint was really smashed on with no fussing or mucking about.

I think this kit is a wonderful tribute to a very talented artist.

Paul

android
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#114 Post by android »

Thanks all.

My wife gave me tips and photo links for the horse details. She's a horse expert.

For the most part, this kit "painted itself."

I just ordered another one to customize.