What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

1963 Aurora Mummy.

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

ausf
Seam Filler

1963 Aurora Mummy.

#1 Post by ausf »

Calling this one done. It's actually a great kit considering the era. The linen texture and sculpt is outstanding for a 98 cent styrene kit. I resisted any real resculpting, just worked on the seams, but I couldn't leave the left eye alone. I filled in the iris, added an upper lid and tighten the lower. I want to pay homage to the original kit, which was a faithful rep of the Mummy's Tomb and the charred Kharis.

Let me know what you think, all comments welcome.

Plausible deniability.

dgelon
Seam Filler

Re: 1963 Aurora Mummy.

#2 Post by dgelon »

Beautiful job and great work on removing the seams. Very nice controlled tones giving a some what stylized kit a very realistic look.
-Daniel

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#3 Post by Tiger2 »

Love it, a lovely build on my all time favourite Aurora monster and probably the only one that actually looked like the box art!
You are right, the details on the bandages are amazing for the vintage :D

Paul

ausf
Seam Filler

#4 Post by ausf »

Thanks Paul and Daniel,

I'm glad you liked it it, it was a fun project. Best part was I actually finished something.
Plausible deniability.

spock
Site Admin
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by spock »

Probably the best rendition I've seen of this model. Couldn't wait to add it to the Aurora Gallery :)
The Clubhouse Model Gallery
When I was a kid I wanted to be older...this is NOT what I had in mind!

android
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by android »

Wow that is beautiful and your colors are perfect.

Would you mind telling us what colors you used?
I'm still trying to get something I like for my Moebius Mummy and can't get it looking right.

ausf
Seam Filler

#7 Post by ausf »

spock wrote:Probably the best rendition I've seen of this model. Couldn't wait to add it to the Aurora Gallery :)

Wow, too kind, but thanks!

I'm still new here, I didn't even realize there was a gallery, but now I see and will spend some time checking it out.
Plausible deniability.

ausf
Seam Filler

#8 Post by ausf »

android wrote:Wow that is beautiful and your colors are perfect.

Would you mind telling us what colors you used?
I'm still trying to get something I like for my Moebius Mummy and can't get it looking right.

Thanks.

I only use Vallejo at this point, mostly MC thinned 50%. This was mainly air and dry brushed.

I primed it with their dark grey poly, then preshaded with Panzer Grey Highlights (part of their Panzer Aces line, basically a chocolate brown color). Then it was different layers of Khaki, Splinter Camo, Pale Camo, Camo Med Brown. Some Khaki Grey and I added Prussian blue to the mix in places to cut down the color without darkening it.

I added dry pigments, a dark brown on the face and hands and some bandages, very light greenish white on the base (and some bandage gaps, mostly seen on the right elbow), and a tan on the base.

After I went back with the pre shade color around the face and hands. The open eye was straight black with a drop of Future on top.

The Cobra is a mix of sand yellow and a few light browns and black with a few coats of Future and a brown wash.

It was hard to get good photos without some washout, some subtle color doesn't come through.
Plausible deniability.

ausf
Seam Filler

#9 Post by ausf »

I forgot:

I floated some of the PG highlights and black mixed very watery into most of the bandage gaps. It wasn't a true wash because I didn't want to add a gloss coat so it immediately disappeared, but what did remain visible added to the detail a bit. That was in between dry brushing layers.

Hope that helps.
Plausible deniability.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by Scooke123 »

Turned out great - I like what you did with his eye, makes a difference without seeming like you made any changes. I like the way you textured it without the heavy dry-brushing you usually see on this kit.
Steve Cooke

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#11 Post by billikenmonster »

really nice work on the seams and color and yes the eye is great. classic plastic

ausf
Seam Filler

#12 Post by ausf »

Thanks guys, much appreciated!
Plausible deniability.

neilm
Finger Painter

#13 Post by neilm »

Fantastic work.

Rob P.
Seam Filler

#14 Post by Rob P. »

Very nicely built, incredible seam work!