What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Seeking opinions about taking over production of Hyde head

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Seeking opinions about taking over production of Hyde head

#1 Post by Todd P. »

Hi folks.

A few weeks back I had a few discussions with a couple of people about taking over production of the Mr. Hyde replacement head formerly offered by the late Tom Parker's Cult of Personality Productions, sculpted by Ray Santoleri.

The head fits the Aurora Jekyll as Hyde kit, and the Moebius repops. Here is a handful of essential facts:

-- Ray still owns the rights to his sculpture and he has OK'd me taking over production.

-- As of a few weeks ago, the molds and masters are in the hands of a fellow resin caster who has no interest in offering the head himself.

-- It seems no one in the Parker family has any legal right, or even interest, in having anything to do with Tom's productions, so no one related to Tom is saying anything one way or another.

This last point is a big sticking point for me, which is why I have so far decided against taking over production of the head. My conscience would be clear, but I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm being mercenery.

However, I've heard from a couple of people who have encouraged me to go ahead and get that head back on the market. So, I thought I'd ask the general styrene population about it: Do you have an opinion?

If that opinion is "don't do it" for any reason, please do say so.

Thank you.

bed172
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

Re: Seeking opinions about taking over production of Hyde he

#2 Post by bed172 »

If you have the blessings of the family, sculptor, and current owner of the molds then I don't see why it should be a problem.
Bob Davis

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#3 Post by Todd P. »

What I was saying, though, is that I DON'T have the blessing of the family. I also don't have the condemnation. They flat don't want anything to do with this stuff, for a variety of reasons that should not be taken to imply that they're doing anything wrong or even mean. There is also no current owner of the molds. To the best of my knowledge, that is in limbo.

spock
Site Admin
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by spock »

I, like many people on this board, knew Tom for many years and spent countless hours on the phone with him. I will never get his "Hey Harry !" in his distinctive accent out of my head along with his fast paced conversation, without taking a breath. I was as shocked and saddened, by his passing, as many here have, in losing a good friend.
With that said, Tom loved the old monsters, more so than making a profit. To which many can attest. To him it was a labor of love in spicing up the monster kits at an affordable price, so others can enjoy them as he did. Believe me, I know ! I think he would be the first to tell you to keep them alive, along with the other old ghouls, if you can. If nothing else it keeps his memory alive with every conversion.
The Clubhouse Model Gallery
When I was a kid I wanted to be older...this is NOT what I had in mind!

llricmc
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#5 Post by llricmc »

I would say if it is not currently in the Posthumous Productions Catalog, go for it and continue Tom's legacy.
Ric McHone

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by scuzzfink85 »

I would if you could buy all his molds and his family can do with money what they want.
I really hope they don't throw his molds.. I don't know tom that well..
it sounds like there some serious family issues with his estate.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#7 Post by Todd P. »

Don't get the wrong impression; my dealings with Tom's brother were pleasant. But they have no further connection to anything with Tom's business. I gather that someone got the molds but I'm not certain who. Even if so, there might still be some rights issues involved with the original sculptors of the pieces.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#8 Post by Todd P. »

OK, I just found out who got the molds and his plans do conflict with anything I might do, so I'm backing off. Thanks for the input, but the issue is dead in the water.

Sorry, I'm not going to mention his name here, but I'm sure he'll make himself known in time.

I'm not even sure what's up with the Hyde molds. At the moment, it sounds like two people have molds for this in their possession.