What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Anyone Ever Built Aurora Frankenstein's Flivver?

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

Anyone Ever Built Aurora Frankenstein's Flivver?

#1 Post by Aurora 484 »

I'm building one right now and I need to know how to expertly mask off the stuff on the tombstone (Frankenstein name plaque; bone; and leaves and flower) AND how to mask off the wings and circles in their centres.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Peter

belrog999
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: Anyone Ever Built Aurora Frankenstein's Flivver?

#2 Post by belrog999 »

Liquid vinyl called Maskit
belrog

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#3 Post by Aurora 484 »

belrog999 wrote:Liquid vinyl called Maskit
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I thought about that type of product but how, even with the smallest of brushes, would you get the masking razor sharp? - the detail is so small.

Or, is it just a case of you give your best shot at masking and then touch up the surrounding area after you remove the masking product? No one has that keen of an eye that they could mask that detail perfectly do they?

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by Rocketeer »

I've never built the kit, but I just looked at a picture in the Gallery. I would be inclined to paint that detail by hand, using the oil paints I love. I'd adjust the viscosity of the paint by adding a bit of Pale Drying Oil, then get out a nice pointed brush, cultivate a calm and relaxed mindset (avoiding caffeine), put on my reading glasses and Optivisor (essential for fine work!) and go at it.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by Scooke123 »

Yeah - that small of a part and tiny detail would be tough to mask off. Careful freehand painting with plenty of patience, lighting and magnifiers will go a long way!
Steve Cooke

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

#6 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

You can try painters tape blue for masking doesn't stick and wont hurt the kit.But another is sillyputty.Ive used it when painted up the Godzilla Gocart. 8)
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/