What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Styrene problem

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Styrene problem

#1 Post by billikenmonster »

Styrene problem I warped an old Frankenstein kit when I was stripping the paint off it years ago it is a 61 original I bowed the base from grave markers to headstone with the solvents I was using. It is bowed front to back I was looking to straighten it out any ideas? I did not try hair dryer and did not want to introduce any more solvents I may just end up attaching it to a wooden base and filling in the difference. Any ideas let me know thanks

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Styrene problem

#2 Post by Rocketeer »

I think if it were me I would clamp it down to a straight piece of plywood and immerse it in boiling water for ten or fifteen seconds. Let it cool down, unclamp it and take a look, repeat as necessary.

If worst comes to worst, and you destroy the base, you can substitute a base from a more recent version; that kit's been reissued about a zillion times.

llricmc
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by llricmc »

Rocketeer wrote:I think if it were me I would clamp it down to a straight piece of plywood and immerse it in boiling water for ten or fifteen seconds.
Be careful! Styrene has a very low melting point. Boiling (212 deg.F) will probably turn it to mush. I would recommend starting out at around 130 degrees F. If you have a piece of sprue or a scrap model part test it out first in the heated water. If the scrap piece doesn't become flexible, gradually increase the temp in 5 to 10 degree increments and try again until your scrap piece will bend without breaking. That should be the temperature that you need to straighten your base.
Ric McHone

Ken Kwil
Jack of all Trades

#4 Post by Ken Kwil »

Sounds like a similar problem I had with a old kit base.
Check out this ... http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 0&t=121702.
If that doesn’t link to it, look for the Monogram Missile Arsenal thread in Forbidden Plastic section.
You might try something like what I did. It worked for me and straightened out a warped twisted base.
Good luck!

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#5 Post by tay666 »

llricmc wrote:
Rocketeer wrote:I think if it were me I would clamp it down to a straight piece of plywood and immerse it in boiling water for ten or fifteen seconds.
Be careful! Styrene has a very low melting point. Boiling (212 deg.F) will probably turn it to mush. I would recommend starting out at around 130 degrees F. If you have a piece of sprue or a scrap model part test it out first in the heated water. If the scrap piece doesn't become flexible, gradually increase the temp in 5 to 10 degree increments and try again until your scrap piece will bend without breaking. That should be the temperature that you need to straighten your base.
Styrene generally doesn't melt under 400 F.
It actually has a higher melting point than most other plastics.

That said, thin-walled items will be affected long before that temperature.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

llricmc
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#6 Post by llricmc »

tay666 wrote:
llricmc wrote:
Styrene generally doesn't melt under 400 F.
It actually has a higher melting point than most other plastics.

That said, thin-walled items will be affected long before that temperature.
Ok. I stand corrected. The glass transition point for polystyrene is well below 212 degrees F. The glass transition point is when the plastic becomes less springy and more rubbery.
I am just going by my own experience straightening warped styrene model parts.
Let us know how it comes out with whatever method you use.
Ric McHone

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#7 Post by billikenmonster »

Thank you all for the information I think I will start with trying to brace it a see what happens then I’ll try the hot water and brace it thanks again

Aurora 484
Glue Sniffer

#8 Post by Aurora 484 »

Sorry this happened to you but this is exactly why one should NEVER use solvents or anything else not meant specifically to strip paint off of styrene.

That must have been one heck of a strong solvent if it warped a piece as thick as the Frankenstein base!

Next time use Scalecoat. It's specifically meant for that purpose. It's literally a crap shoot when you start using cleaners; solvents etc to strip styrene.

Yeah, I know, I'll probably get pooh poohed by many saying that they use this and that to strip styrene kits, but heed billikenmonster's experience! User Beware! (whatever that translates to in Latin)