What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Metaluna Mutant in Styrene...

Show off your work or ask a question about current or classic hobby model kits! Any subject as long as it's rendered in injection molded styrene--this is the place to be!

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Metaluna Mutant in Styrene...

#21 Post by Buc Wheat »

dj53 wrote: I'd like to know , honestly, how many were made....? 107 pink and 2000 Grey?
The plot thickens.... :) Denis
Phil told me 107 and Robb has stated numerous times around the net that
this is a VERY limited kit. So: At this moment, Phil doesn't know if more might
be made in the future, I'm assuming the kits were split btwn Tom/Paul/Terry.

"...it's an enigma.... wrapped in a riddle...!!!!"

Buc :)

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

#22 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

Here is my pink metaluna mutant with my grey one that got both from Paul at Amoktime.
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/

Chuck
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Glue Sniffer

!

#23 Post by Chuck »

Cult of Personality wrote:First off, for all of the inquiries and well wishes sent my way, during an unexpected (and MOST untimely) absence from the forums, my family and myself are TRULY grateful for the support of my SECOND family here on the CH! :)
Having said that, for right now, I am neither able, nor WILLING to volunteer ANY information other than to let folks know that have prepaid when I have had the chance to pack and ship their orders, and I will leave it at that. Harry or Trevor, (or Susan or ANY of the other mods), I would appreciate a BIT of breathing room to get caught up and at least TRY and control the ebb and flow of data; for right now THE best source is the thread on Buc's site which literally began the Sunday night of the show (if not SOONER, y'know how Buc is with getting the scoop, LOL!
Thanks to all, your patience WILL payoff!
Tom
Was worried about you Tommy Boy!

Ken Kwil
Jack of all Trades

#24 Post by Ken Kwil »

Got a pink one in the mail yesterday. It's a nice kit. Glad it's in styrene plastic. I probably would't have bought it if it was resin. Bumped this up on my "to do" list. Can't wait to build.

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#25 Post by Cult of Personality »

Ken; hold off before you tear open that bag. I have shipped all but four of my preorders with one additional kit up on the 'Bay right now. BUT... I have one lonely little fuscia bulb headed stepchild of a kit that had SO many parts off the runners (and a tear in the bag) that I plan to see if Phil has any other kits in a similar state and I plan to offer them at a reduced rate to take some of the sting out of opening up a collectible to PLAY WITH, LOL! :D
Tom
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#26 Post by Cult of Personality »

Ok, had to pull the auction on eBay because there was just TOO much speculation on FB (most of it WRONG, which shocks me based on all MY experiences on the internet, up to this point anyway. 8) ) The rebagged little feller will also be winging his way to a new home shortly, which leaves me currently out of stock. Again, go to Buc for the CORRECT information out there thus far, hoping to have an update on the site VERY soon (Harry; TWO thumbs up on what you sent me this morning! :D )
Time to take my meds and a nap, thanks to ALL here on the CH (and over on UMA) for keeping things friendly and fun!
Tom

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#27 Post by Scooke123 »

I got my gray one in the mail today!!!
Steve Cooke

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#28 Post by Cult of Personality »

Steve; I have not spoken to Paul or Phil yet, but Harry has been working on something for me that... well if you are going to be building your kit, hold off on doing the clackboard for a bit. 8)
Tom

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#29 Post by Scooke123 »

OK!! :D
Steve Cooke

Anton Phibes
Seam Filler

#30 Post by Anton Phibes »

I am getting one of these early next week. I hope to have time to build and paint it next weekend. I have a lot of doo doo to take care of this week with looking in after my elderly aunt. But after I am done being Captain Responsibility in my family clan: FUN TIME! :bday: :bday: It will be nice to be transported back in time for a couple days and paint me a mutie! :D

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#31 Post by Cult of Personality »

Buc Wheat wrote:
dj53 wrote: I'd like to know , honestly, how many were made....? 107 pink and 2000 Grey?
The plot thickens.... :) Denis
Phil told me 107 and Robb has stated numerous times around the net that
this is a VERY limited kit. So: At this moment, Phil doesn't know if more might
be made in the future, I'm assuming the kits were split btwn Tom/Paul/Terry.

"...it's an enigma.... wrapped in a riddle...!!!!"

Buc :)
At Chiller, dealer- wise Phil sold 11 or 12 from the spot I provided on my table ( I can not SWEAR by this as our mutual associate Mr Apgar kept interrupting us JUST when we were making some headway in settling up on Sunday afternoon. :( ). But I digress. It's what I do. I'm a digressor. Born and raised. Passive/digressive. Anyhoo, my friend Alan Farrielo (sp?) got two, Danny Fay got two and Terry Webb got two. I consider them to be: 1. Friends 2. Dealers (who just HAPPEN to be friends) and 3. Collectors who wanted a pair of kits JUST in case more did NOT materialize. These kits were provided to me by Phil, because he considered ALL of them to be mutual friends as well, plus he is just that kind of guy. IIRC I took 16 with me on consignment to be sold at $125 ea plus shipping, with Phil and I sharing a fairly equal share above cost for providing the table space, plus doing some market research (i.e. Phil suggested throwing a few up on eBay with a VERY limited auction length just to see what one MIGHT go for.) I think I set the auction length to be 3 days and it sold in THREE HOURS!!! Ok, so at this point going with a dozen kits sold from the table, six more (three pairs going to three buddies) and 16 more on consignment leaving Chiller with me, I personally can account for the whereabouts of 34 "Metallic Fuscia" units with the last kit being the "infamous" eBay sale of roughly $350, minus fees, and the $35 donation to St Judes Children's Research Hospital (the ONLY reason I KEEP bringing it up is it KEEPS being LEFT OUT of the mix in other venues; and for once, NOT THE FORUMS. Soooo... took some preorders for more fuscia kits, sent a Postal Money Order to Phil to pay for same, worked a few more trades, wheeled, and or dealed and THE last of 16 additional fuscia kits HANDLED PERSONALLY BY ME will get dropped at the PO tomorrow morning on my way to work (as if THIS wasn't work, SHEESH!!! :shock: )
Tom
Tom

Anton Phibes
Seam Filler

#32 Post by Anton Phibes »

Coming soon to customize Mutie clackboards everywhere....cusstomizing decal from COPP. Oh yeah!

It will look lovely on the clackboard when I get this puppy built and painted. Just arrived. HAPPY! HAPPY! JOY! JOY!

Pepperpain
Brush Jockey

#33 Post by Pepperpain »

It would seem the economics of producing the kit is out of wack - Or maybe it's just a new way to think about the hobby.

Is there some way this could have been produced in styrene without spending a buttload (~$14K?) to cut metal molds? I assume after the molds are made the cost per piece is actually negligible, and that the molds would last for thousands of kits.

If this was economically feasible, should kit producers actually be emulating their example focusing on small run styrene kits? Maybe the future is hybrid kits with both styrene and resin parts (which we sort of emulate by buying the aftermarket resin heads).

- Brian

Cult of Personality
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Earl of Epoxy

#34 Post by Cult of Personality »

Not sure WHERE you got the dollar amount spent on tooling a kit, but the second part of your post IS dead-on. Frank makes test shots available to aftermarket folks such as myself, Paul (ParaGrafix etched parts) and Jeff (JT Graphics decals) MAINLY because he is just a REALLY nice guy, but also he can test the waters for the level of interest (and BUDGET) modelers at various levels of interest in ANY particular subject have. :D
Tom

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#35 Post by tay666 »

I am also sure that it helps sales when the aftermarket parts are coming out near the release date of the kit. And the existence of conversion parts helps fuel multiple purchases from customers as well.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Anton Phibes
Seam Filler

#36 Post by Anton Phibes »

If not for Tom Parker at COP, I never would've got one of these and been able to be part of the fun. Here is the more or less finished product! I am happy to have one! Thanks Tom!!!

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#37 Post by Scooke123 »

Anton Phibes wrote:If not for Tom Parker at COP, I never would've got one of these and been able to be part of the fun. Here is the more or less finished product! I am happy to have one! Thanks Tom!!!

:like
Steve Cooke

Anton Phibes
Seam Filler

#38 Post by Anton Phibes »

this kt broke the internet in half for about a week, and then....silence. What happened,lol?

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#39 Post by Scooke123 »

I guess the majority of guys interested in getting the kit were able to get one or two so the interest died off.
Steve Cooke

Anton Phibes
Seam Filler

#40 Post by Anton Phibes »

As long as this thing has held the attention of Aurora and Monster fans over the years, and then for it to finally materialize suddenly in styrene....I would've thought folks would be talking about this guy for awhile and showing off some built ups. I guess not.