What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Houdini & Doyle

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

Houdini & Doyle

#1 Post by DoctorG »

Anyone catch the season premiere this week? Looks kind of like a Victorian version of the X-Files. The first episode didn't wow me, but I'm giving this a chance as I love magic, and I want to see what they do with the Houdini character. I find these "historical fiction" shows fascinating, akin to Sleepy Hollow...
Dr. G.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Houdini & Doyle

#2 Post by LOBOREX »

I like it, I'm up to episode 8.
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

XOFACTO2
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Knight of the Round Bench

#3 Post by XOFACTO2 »

Where is this playing? I can't keep track of all the shows on all the different sources.
John Tucky
Facto2@aol.com

What am I selling? Join me on Facebook for my kit of the day..

https://www.facebook.com/john.tucky

or at

https://www.facebook.com/groups/figurek ... =bookmarks

highwayman57
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by highwayman57 »

XOFACTO2 wrote:Where is this playing? I can't keep track of all the shows on all the different sources.
The pilot was shown Monday night on FOX, and a repeat is scheduled for Saturday night.
David
----------------

"No matter where you go... there you are!"
Buckaroo Banzai

"Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' "

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by LOBOREX »

Did not not know it just started on fox, it started around march on itv.
Helena is here at hand;

XOFACTO2
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Knight of the Round Bench

#6 Post by XOFACTO2 »

Thanks, David.
John Tucky
Facto2@aol.com

What am I selling? Join me on Facebook for my kit of the day..

https://www.facebook.com/john.tucky

or at

https://www.facebook.com/groups/figurek ... =bookmarks

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by Buc Wheat »

Enjoyed the 1st ep...

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by DoctorG »

Hmmm...I didn't know it was airing on another source. How would you rate the eight episodes that you saw?
Dr. G.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by LOBOREX »

DoctorG wrote:Hmmm...I didn't know it was airing on another source. How would you rate the eight episodes that you saw?
I like it, kind of like a Victorian x files.
Helena is here at hand;

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by DoctorG »

LOBOREX wrote:
DoctorG wrote:Hmmm...I didn't know it was airing on another source. How would you rate the eight episodes that you saw?
I like it, kind of like a Victorian x files.
Yes, I heard someone else say the same thing, LOL! :wink: The second episode was a bit better and I have the third on the DVR awaiting a viewing this week. It's still not completely grabbing me, but I'll give it a good chance...
Dr. G.

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by DoctorG »

OK, this show IS picking up a bit. I liked the last episode with the Bram Stoker story. It is pretty easy to figure out who the "culprit" is in each episode; kind of like Scooby Doo when you think about it :wink:
Dr. G.

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by DoctorG »

OK, so this show is evolving somewhat and getting a bit better....more character development and I liked the last episode with Bram Stoker...
Dr. G.

highwayman57
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#13 Post by highwayman57 »

The last episode with Bram Stoker was a bit of a disappointment to me because they heavily fictionalized the portrayal of Stoker. The episode omitted any mention of Stoker's wife, the actor chosen for the role could not have looked less like Stoker, and the bit about tertiary syphilis is an unproven rumor. I give it one star.
David
----------------

Buckaroo Banzai

"Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.' "

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#14 Post by DoctorG »

highwayman57 wrote:The last episode with Bram Stoker was a bit of a disappointment to me because they heavily fictionalized the portrayal of Stoker. The episode omitted any mention of Stoker's wife, the actor chosen for the role could not have looked less like Stoker, and the bit about tertiary syphilis is an unproven rumor. I give it one star.
Agreed, but I think they hit the mark better with the last episode featuring Thomas Edison. I don't mind a little poetic license with the historical fiction... :)
Dr. G.

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by DoctorG »

Well, I thought the season finale was good, even though I kind of figured out how the townspeople died. My guess is that this won't be renewed for a second season, even though the character development is improving, but we'll see...
Dr. G.

highwayman57
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#16 Post by highwayman57 »

DoctorG wrote:My guess is that this won't be renewed for a second season, even though the character development is improving, but we'll see...
The listing on Comcast's on-screen guide for last night's episode said "series finale", so I would guess that FOX declined to renew the show.
David
----------------

Buckaroo Banzai

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#17 Post by DoctorG »

highwayman57 wrote:
DoctorG wrote:My guess is that this won't be renewed for a second season, even though the character development is improving, but we'll see...
The listing on Comcast's on-screen guide for last night's episode said "series finale", so I would guess that FOX declined to renew the show.
Not from what I've been reading online, but that doesn't mean that they won't end up cancelling it anyway. Apparently, there's a UK link to this show, so ratings from across the pond may weigh in--we'll see!
Dr. G.

highwayman57
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#18 Post by highwayman57 »

DoctorG wrote:
highwayman57 wrote:
Not from what I've been reading online, but that doesn't mean that they won't end up cancelling it anyway. Apparently, there's a UK link to this show, so ratings from across the pond may weigh in--we'll see!
Here's an online article that says the show is canceled in the U.S. by FOX, and that ITV in the U.K. is considering the same action: http://www.morningledger.com/houdini-an ... w/1382414/
David
----------------

Buckaroo Banzai

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#19 Post by DoctorG »

Yes, so FOX may renew on Season 2 in other geographies; if so, then there's probably a way to access it from the US. Obviously, the show wasn't a hit, but it did show signs of getting better. Was it perfect? No way. Was I entertained by it? For the most part, yes. I still enjoy the premise of these period shows and links to historical characters, etc. I hope FOX keeps experimenting with this format.
Dr. G.

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#20 Post by derekc62 »

DoctorG wrote:Yes, so FOX may renew on Season 2 in other geographies; if so, then there's probably a way to access it from the US. Obviously, the show wasn't a hit, but it did show signs of getting better. Was it perfect? No way. Was I entertained by it? For the most part, yes. I still enjoy the premise of these period shows and links to historical characters, etc. I hope FOX keeps experimenting with this format.
Here in Canada the show was/is broadcast on Global (there are three main networks - CTV, CBC and Global) and the finale was billed as the season finale.
If I'm not mistaken the show is a joint UK/Canada production with the final shows set in the province of Ontario in the early 20th century.
But I haven't heard if it'll be back on in this country.
Derek Conlon