What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Salem's Lot Blu-ray!

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

visible
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Salem's Lot Blu-ray!

#1 Post by visible »

Hooray! Salem's Lot in Blu-ray is now up for pre-order at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Salems-Lot-BD-Bl ... ot+Blu-ray. The back seems to read, "Special Features: Feature-length audio commentary by director Tobe Hooper."

Certainly one of my favorites!

Scott M
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: Salem's Lot Blu-ray!

#2 Post by Scott M »

Still one of the best King adaptations ever.

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by resin addict »

Scott M wrote:Still one of the best King adaptations ever.
I would quantify that by saying one of the best King "Horror" adaptations ever...(Carrie was good too).
Stand by Me, Shawshank Redemption & The Green Mile (in my opinion) translated much better to film.
I believe I read that King himself has admitted that his horror works typically don't work very well on the big screen...probably has a lot to do with how each individual reader creates his own version of the story in their own mind, and when you see the same story in the theatre, it's not what you had imagined. In fact I read somewhere recently that King hated the film version of "The Shining".
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#4 Post by Todd P. »

Yeah, King has long been on the record as disliking Kubruck's version of The Shining. As I recall, King notes in his sequel, Doctor Sleep, that the story there does not stand up as a sequel to the first movie, the enduring popularity of which stumps him.

It took some time -- especially given that I love The Shining novel -- but Kubrick's film grew on me and I now like it a lot. Meanwhile, like most everyone, I've all but forgotten the 1997 miniseries, for which King himself wrote the teleplay.

I've also pretty much forgotten the second miniseries version of Salem's Lot, which I detested.

The 1979 version ... man, that was a game-changer for me. Loved it then, still love it now. I was one of Stephen King's "constant readers" for more than two decades because I checked out his books soon after seeing the movie. The kid floating and scratching at the window, Barlow's Nosferatu appearance, the lovely small-town setting (although not really Maine, but Northern California), the Aurora model kits and so much more.

I probably dig out the DVD once a year. These days I recognize various logical and continuity problems, some of which probably came up to create some kind of shock before cutting to commercials, but it holds up very well. And while I agree that some other King adaptations are probably superior -- especially Shawshank Redemption -- this one's my favorite.

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#5 Post by Otto69 »

How does the Blu Ray transfer compare the single disk DVD that was released a long time ago?
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by temperflash »

It became unspeakable.

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by resin addict »

temperflash wrote:It became unspeakable.
Huh?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#8 Post by Otto69 »

Perhaps things would improve if you would speak of it?
Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#9 Post by Todd P. »

I had to look it up to remind myself: That's a quote from the book. Not sure how it answers the question about the transfer, though.