What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Time After Time - look what they done to my film, ma

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

sippog
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

Time After Time - look what they done to my film, ma

#1 Post by sippog »

I always liked "Time After Time" the 1979 movie in which Malcolm McDowell as H.G. Welles chases after Jack The Ripper (David Warner) in his time machine to 1970's San Francisco. I've been waiting for years for somebody to bring out a model of the great steampunk machine that featured in it.

So I was pleased to see they turned it into a tv series. With a great premise like that - what could go wrong?

Quite a lot as it happens.

I knew we were in trouble when the first scene featured a clunking great anachronism as Welles is urged to forget his work and try 'dating' - in 1897? - but things just get worse after that. Two personable but, to be frank, fairly uncharismatic young British actors are assigned the lead roles but the script doesn't really let them do anything but strike poses. The wit of the original film is replaced by a series of gags as the nineteenth century time travellers acquaint themselves (far too quickly and glibly) with 21st century technology. New York is substituted for the original setting but most of the film's original plot is recycled with enough tweaks to make sure there's more to come.

The leads look like they've been cast with a tweeny audience in mind. They're not ba-ad exactly but they do remind you painfully how great the originals were. David Warner, in particular, was far more chilling as The Ripper, a part he was born to play. The love interest too is now recast as a spunky modern gal who can throw a punch which completely changes the dynamics of the romantic sub-plot; especially as this Welles is a far wetter character than McDowell's.

And the time machine looks like a Victorian microwave - though, with my luck, someone will make a model of it. :(

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Time After Time - look what they done to my film, ma

#2 Post by Buc Wheat »

Like you, a big fan of the movie and never had any curiosity to watch
the TV show. By your write up, happy w/ my choice now!

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by Scooke123 »

I tried to watch it this evening - couldn't get interested enough to keep it on.
Steve Cooke

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by scuzzfink85 »

I won't watch out respect for H.G Well.s I really tired of people trying
romanticize Jack The Ripper.. Kevin Willson is blame for this..
I say it lasts 6 episodes and it will be forgotten
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by temperflash »

The 1979 film is an old favorite I drag out to watch now and then, a really fun movie.

rob_03
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by rob_03 »

I picked the original movie up on DVD recently, probably because someone here said they would like to see a version of the time machine produced. I'd never seen it and must admit I haven't got far with it.
But a couple of points, HG Well's would never have needed any encouragement to go dating! He was a randy old goat in real life and was all for 'free love.'
I also have been very uncomfortable with 'Jack the Ripper' being included in the 'swirling fogs of old Sherlock Holmes' gas lit Victoriania.' These were real women who were horribly murdered. I was very disappointed with Alan Moore about this.