What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

ALIEN COVENANT

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: ALIEN COVENANT

#21 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Wow, you guys are tough! I really enjoyed the film and loved the depth it gave to David. John Logan wrote some compelling themes that Ridley Scott fleshed out and gave a haunting visual life. It was just what I was hoping it would be, an Alien movie with freakin killer aliens in it.

I'm with Paul about the real feel of the original, which BLEW my mind in 1979 (saw it the first night it was out). There was nothing else that came close to the unique look of that film. That said, I'd hardly refer to this as a bad film, certainly an improvement over Prometheus in most areas (and to me Prometheus did have some really good things going for it). Ultimately, there is no way to recreate the trend setter that was Alien. However, I'm willing to go on the ride Scott's offering, it's still fun for me.

Please feel free to disagree wildly-

Stewart
"Transylvania; land of dark forests and black unfathomed lakes......."

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#22 Post by Tiger2 »

Hi Stuart,

I think in terms of the visual effects, creatures, the environment, it's an awesome film. It's a decent script and an original, well considered story that's questionable and disappointing.

You and I are big fans of the Hammer movies. Why? Because without CGI, they relied entirely on the craft of acting and telling a story. When Peter Cushing delivered a line, it was with so much conviction that it was believable. He could read the telephone directory and make it sound compelling! Sorry, I'm going off brief here but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from!

Please watch this when you get a chance, this guy is a respected film critic over here, passionate about the original film and who I think has hit it right on the head!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b79aw9dZLfE

All the best,
Paul

sippog
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#23 Post by sippog »

Just caught Life, the new Jake Gyllenhall sci-fi, which I found genuinely hide-behind-the-sofa scary and reminded me why the first Alien worked so well before they buried the franchise in all the Giger-gothic styling. No dripping fangs but a monster that looks like a cross between a sea anemone and a starfish and is twice as frightening for it.

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#24 Post by tay666 »

Tiger2 wrote: Please watch this when you get a chance, this guy is a respected film critic over here, passionate about the original film and who I think has hit it right on the head!

All the best,
Paul
Holy crap!
I haven't seen Covenant yet (probably won't until it hits cable)
But I followed the link to hear this guys review. (which reinforced the impressions I already had about the movie). Then I checked out his reviews of several movies I have seen.
OMG! This is the first 'critic' that really seems to share my film tastes.
GITS, Kong Skull Island, Sully, Guardians 2, Deadpool, Logan, Force Awakens.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Tiger2
Squire of the Sprue

#25 Post by Tiger2 »

Relieved to hear you agree Trevor, he's always been straight down the line and objective. On this one you really feel he's
been genuinely let down, as did my son and I. Ah well, as Geoff said at the start, let's keep hoping that Blade Runner ticks a few more
boxes!

Paul

Stewart Jackson
Bishop of Build Ups

#26 Post by Stewart Jackson »

Tiger2 wrote:Hi Stuart,

I think in terms of the visual effects, creatures, the environment, it's an awesome film. It's a decent script and an original, well considered story that's questionable and disappointing.

You and I are big fans of the Hammer movies. Why? Because without CGI, they relied entirely on the craft of acting and telling a story. When Peter Cushing delivered a line, it was with so much conviction that it was believable. He could read the telephone directory and make it sound compelling! Sorry, I'm going off brief here but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from!

Please watch this when you get a chance, this guy is a respected film critic over here, passionate about the original film and who I think has hit it right on the head!

All the best,
Paul
Hey Paul:

Thanks for passing that on, and while I appreciate Mark's point of view, and he does lay his argument out very well, I still don't find the film to be a disappointment.

Your point about Peter Cushing is dead on, he had an extraordinary ability to make you believe just about anything. Even in Star Wars he took no crap from Vader and Vader backed down, and you believed he should. So here, I felt that Fassbinder too could compel you to come along for the ride as he did in Prometheus.

I'm very seriously looking forward to Blade Runner 2049! Loved the original, even though most film critics crapped on it, other than the visuals. One critic even jumped on Harrison Ford as being 'wooden' compared to the replicants. Uh, yep that's the point that they were more alive than he. So I don't always place too much stock in a critic's opinion if I had a good time. Heck, what do I know, I have a good time with Plan 9 From Outer space!

Very best- Stewart :D
"Transylvania; land of dark forests and black unfathomed lakes......."

GEOFF MARTIN
Squire of the Sprue

#27 Post by GEOFF MARTIN »

:D .. " I have a good time with Plan 9 From Outer space!"

Plan 9 FOS, every time... :like
"ROMANES EUNT DOMUS"?
Grail list..
McVey- MINOTAUR (BUST)
Janus - Pierce/Karloff (yes,that one!)

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#28 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Blomkamp would have done an AWESOME job of "ALIEN 2.5" if Widley Scott hadn't killed it.

There's more character-building, suspense and horror in this 20-minute short/teaser than in the bloated 4-hour-plus mess that are Prometheus and Covenant combined.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#29 Post by Zeiram »

Huge Blompkamp fan. Can't wait for vol 2.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Heavy Metal Spike

#30 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Vol. 2 is up Larry.

Once again - CLEVER, artistic, well-paced Sci-Fi STORYTELLING and CHARACTER-BUILDING.

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#31 Post by Zeiram »

I think that's volume 1 of a different series. I wasn't as big a fan of it as the first one. Will give it a chance though.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Heavy Metal Spike

#32 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Zeiram wrote:I think that's volume 1 of a different series. I wasn't as big a fan of it as the first one. Will give it a chance though.
Sorry - my bad choice of words - I should have said "the next one is up".

All 3 are "long teasers" - each one is for a different story. From the 1st URL I linked in each post:
  • Oats Studios is bringing experimental short films YouTube and Steam. Blomkamp previously took to Twitter to answer some questions about the project, confirming that Volume 1 of the series will have three shorts running about twenty minutes each.

“The goal is to see ‘if’ the audience likes them and ‘if’ they would be willing to pay for volume 2,” the director said. “They are too short to charge now.”

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#33 Post by Zeiram »

I'd definitely pay to see more of Rakka. Not sure about Firebase.

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#34 Post by Zeiram »

We should probably split this out into a separate OATS thread at this point, but...

Sharlto Copley as God!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1_HfhtB5eo

The sushi and smoothie products turned my stomach a bit. Avoid unless you have a strong gag reflex. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaeFgSR ... UxhuaDrzC9

GEOFF MARTIN
Squire of the Sprue

#35 Post by GEOFF MARTIN »

:D ..If this thread 'morphs' into an OATS-fest.. :lol: fine by Me... :thumb2:
"ROMANES EUNT DOMUS"?
Grail list..
McVey- MINOTAUR (BUST)

Heavy Metal Spike

#36 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

LOL - same here :)

I watched the "god" one, which was . . . . interesting and unnerving at the same time.

I watched the smoothie one - and decided I wasn't going to watch the sushi one just yet :? (very well made but . . . . yeah )

GEOFF MARTIN
Squire of the Sprue

#37 Post by GEOFF MARTIN »

"ROMANES EUNT DOMUS"?
Grail list..
McVey- MINOTAUR (BUST)

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#38 Post by Zeiram »

GEOFF MARTIN
Squire of the Sprue

#39 Post by GEOFF MARTIN »

:D ..Watched this last night....brilliant stuff.... :lol:
"ROMANES EUNT DOMUS"?
Grail list..
McVey- MINOTAUR (BUST)

Heavy Metal Spike

#40 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Back to "Covenant" - jeez - cue the ol' "That's 2 hours of my life I won't get back" line.

As with Prometheus, great cinematography, and some clever undertones, but (overall) a plot that's SO insulting I'd (almost) rather watch a Myley Cyrus concert.

This was so bad, I really don't know where to start - but I'd still give it the edge over Prometheus :lol:

So Fox feeds Scott's ego and buries Blomkamp's Alien 2.5 - best move since greenlighting the plot & casting for the last X-Men movie guys :roll:

Fassbender's a great actor but MAN he stars in some stinky movies.

Thank-you Mr. Scott - I'll now be avoiding the upcoming Blade Runner sequel.