What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Black Panther should be discussed here

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Black Panther should be discussed here

#1 Post by Todd P. »

I guess we're past the days when superhero movies are automatically discussed here at the Clubhouse, and I can see why. Fact is, my own interest in them has been falling steadily since the release of Age of Ultron. I've seen some of them, but mostly because I watch them with my kids. Enjoyed Wonder Woman but not enough to convince me it was worth a trip to the theater to subject myself to Justice League. Didn't bother with some of the others, and one that I was certain I would like -- Dr. Strange -- was a letdown. I am also apparently the only person in the free world who didn't love the two Guardians of the Galaxy films, although they did have their moments.

But the commercials for Ragnarok got my attention, and my kids are particular fans of the Thor movies, so we went and enjoyed it. I haven't voluntarily listened to Led Zeppelin in years but "Immigrant Song" is now on my Spotify playlist.

So, I was only sort of interested in seeing Black Panther, but I went with the kids. I was actually making an effort to persuade them to go to Early Man instead, but that hasn't opened in my area so Black Panther it was.

Loved it! I knew the reviews were strong, but I didn't believe I'd enjoy it as much as I did. It was fun, it was tense, and it was extremely well cast. I haven't been so happy after seeing a superhero film since Avengers.

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: Black Panther should be discussed here

#2 Post by Zeiram »

To quote Walter "Monk" McGinn from Gangs of New York, "Well that was bloody Shakespearian."
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Scott M
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by Scott M »

Saw it last night and thought it was great. 31 year old Writer/Director Coogler grew up rough in Oakland, CA and that background clearly informs the story line here without ever bogging it down. There is plenty of humor and a lot of genuinely likeable characters and he also handles the action scenes and special effects extremely well. I still remember buying Fantastic Four #52 when I was 10 years old and being fascinated by the first black superhero in American Comics. So glad to see this character get such a stellar treatment on the big screen.

Synn
Glue Sniffer

#4 Post by Synn »

BP fan here but honestly the "political" marketing around it put me off. I'll watch it when it comes to HBO, etc.

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#5 Post by Misellus »

Liked parts, hated parts. I find it odd that people (including me) were complaining about bad cgi in Justice League, but nothing is said about this movie. Cartoonish cgi that ignores physics in pretty much every fight scene. Black Panther can't fly, stop having him do maneuvers that would require flight.

[spoiler]
Also didn't care for the plot "twist" where his lifelong enemy Man-Ape saves him while his best friend since childhood betrays him because no one wants to talk about what happened in Korea. "We had him but we had to play at politics and his people rescued him. We will find him again, I promise." was all it would have taken. Reminded me too much of Winter Soldier when everyone (non-Hydra) turns on Cap without question. hated it then, hate it now. Sh*ts on 50 years of character continuity every time they do it.

I'll put this one on the same pile as Cap 1&2, Iron Man 2&3, and Thor 2. I don't regret watching it as part of the overall story, but I've no interest in seeing it again.

m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Blade vs Black Panther...
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Synn wrote:BP fan here but honestly the "political" marketing around it put me off. I'll watch it when it comes to HBO, etc.
Never had any interest in the character in the comics, and wasn't impressed by his part in "Captain America: Civil War".

As a result, had (and have) zero interest in watching the movie, but admit the SJW BS I bumped into put me off even more.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Buc Wheat »

Watched it last night.

meh!

Was ok... predictable storyline. Pretty much agree w/ Misellus' post.

Heavy Metal Spike

#9 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Agree (mostly) with Randy (Misellus) & Buc

First half was great - up until when Andy Serkis' character did an exit stage left (what a waste - he was the star of the movie as far as we were concerned - with great future potential).

After that it nosedived.

The particularly bad:
  • • Killmonger was weakly written and acting was phoned-in. Worst marvel villain ever in a movie? (after Doc Doom in the FF's - or maybe Electro)
    • Some of the CGI :roll:
    • The way W'Kabi went from confidante to enemy - SMH.
    • The 2nd half - including the final battle and Kilmonger's death. Totally "Meh".
The best:
  • • Andy Serkis (acting AND character).
    • Winston Duke as M'Baku - VERY believeable in the role, and the perfect physique.
    • The female warriors were cool - but I was having trouble telling who-was-who (like who lived/died!) as they all looked the same to me in the midst of all the action.
    • Letitia Wright as Shuri - GREAT character with real presence.
Overall, this got placed firmly towards the bottom of the pile of Marvel movies (just above the 3 FF's) - it was overhyped & average and it'll be a LONG time before I watch it again.

• (* well - maybe I'll watch the 1st half again :wink: *)

schreber
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#10 Post by schreber »

not for me … thought I was watching the lion king.

monsterjones
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by monsterjones »

Movies today are based on a similar algorithm that Facebook uses
and this is why most modern action adventure films are dreck ......
To change one's life:
Start immediately, Do it flamboyantly, No exceptions.

XOFACTO2
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten

#12 Post by XOFACTO2 »

Saw it last night. I enjoyed it. Thought it was another excellent entry into the Marvel Universe. A couple of crossover appearances would have been nice but that’s my only criticism.

Someone on my FB page mentioned, they didn’t understand why the box office was so big. Terry Beatty replied with a better comment than I could have written. I post this with his permission.

“As a Marvel movie, it's a good solid entry in the series. As a cultural event, it's a game changer. Though there have been black-themed superhero movies prior to this (Blade, Steel) -- to have an African hero headline a movie in THIS blockbuster series, on the same level as Capt. America, Iron Man, Spider-man, etc. is a MAJOR thing for black audiences. The story acknowledges every day issues black people face in America (through Killmonger's story), while contrasting that with the wish-fulfillment of Wakanda -- a scientifically advanced African nation untouched by colonization. Add in that the film was made by a largely black creative team -- and that is why it made so much money.”
John Tucky
Facto2@aol.com

What am I selling? Join me on Facebook for my kit of the day..

https://www.facebook.com/john.tucky

or at

https://www.facebook.com/groups/figurek ... =bookmarks

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#13 Post by Zeiram »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Spike's "review" deleted.
You are dead to me. ;)
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Heavy Metal Spike

#14 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Zeiram wrote:
Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Spike's "review" deleted.
You are dead to me. ;)
:lol: - ah well - life can be a drag - and as such . . . I expect you to return my signed & personalised photo of RuPaul within the week!

• (* actually - wasn't he one of those shaven-headed warriors? :-k - now I'll have to go back and watch bits again *)

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by LOBOREX »

XOFACTO2 wrote:Saw it last night. I enjoyed it. Thought it was another excellent entry into the Marvel Universe. A couple of crossover appearances would have been nice but that’s my only criticism.

Someone on my FB page mentioned, they didn’t understand why the box office was so big. Terry Beatty replied with a better comment than I could have written. I post this with his permission.

“As a Marvel movie, it's a good solid entry in the series. As a cultural event, it's a game changer. Though there have been black-themed superhero movies prior to this (Blade, Steel) -- to have an African hero headline a movie in THIS blockbuster series, on the same level as Capt. America, Iron Man, Spider-man, etc. is a MAJOR thing for black audiences. The story acknowledges every day issues black people face in America (through Killmonger's story), while contrasting that with the wish-fulfillment of Wakanda -- a scientifically advanced African nation untouched by colonization. Add in that the film was made by a largely black creative team -- and that is why it made so much money.”
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#16 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Sadly wish fulfillment gets nobody anywhere in life..
Some people can't deal with things in this world..
So they go for fantasy of superhero.. that can right all wrongs etc.
I grew up along time ago.. enjoy comics from back in 70's& 80's with strong stories..
This whole disney/ marvel is old I agree with monster jones.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#17 Post by LOBOREX »

scuzzfink85 wrote:Sadly wish fulfillment gets nobody anywhere in life..
Some people can't deal with things in this world..
So they go for fantasy of superhero.. that can right all wrongs etc.
I grew up along time ago.. enjoy comics from back in 70's& 80's with strong stories..
This whole disney/ marvel is old I agree with monster jones.
Thank you, for your as always insightful optimistic insight. So what the hell did you like about comics back in the good old days the pretty colors? the whole point of superhero comics is wish fulfillment. And some of the greats dealt with social problems, x-men the fight against racism, supes truth and justice, bats loss and justice. spidey with great power comes great responsibility. The reason some of these characters become icons is because they touch upon universal truths and fight against universal wrongs. So yes at there core superhero comics are wish fulfillment but also just maybe some little kid reading them gets stoked to make his little corner of the universe better. End of sermon. (scuzzfink in the past you have posted about your challenges, so i chalk up most of what you say to that. But it seems you just like stirring up sh** so from now on i think i will avoid your posts) Happy trails.
Helena is here at hand;

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#18 Post by Buc Wheat »

well look on the happy side... if Wakanda had just come outta their
shell ... they cud'ah stopped slavery in it's tracks! So far now on,
whenever I hear someone complain about my country...I'm gonna
tell um to place the blame squarely on Wakanda!!

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#19 Post by LOBOREX »

Buc Wheat wrote:well look on the happy side... if Wakanda had just come outta their
shell ... they cud'ah stopped slavery in it's tracks! So far now on,
whenever I hear someone complain about my country...I'm gonna
tell um to place the blame squarely on Wakanda!!
So to follow that logic I blame FDR for not sending superman and captain America to end that whole world war 2 thing. :lol:
Helena is here at hand;

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#20 Post by Buc Wheat »

I'm pretty sure we can blame Wakanda there too!!!

(I'm sure they cud've found Cap and de-iced him as well!)