What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Luke Cage on Netflix (bless 'em)

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: Luke Cage on Netflix (bless 'em)

#21 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

One week to go - and a couple of new trailers that are VERY encouraging . . . :D

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Sal460885
Seam Filler

#22 Post by Sal460885 »

Can’t wait!!!
“Why were the crow calling his name thought Caw”
Sal Villarreal

Heavy Metal Spike

#23 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

• Less than 24 hours to go :bgrin: :bshock:

Heavy Metal Spike

#24 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Enjoyed this. Probably more than Season 1. THAT was mostly due to the “villain” :arrow: the fella that played Bushmaster was AWESOME! – and I hope he has a very bright & lucrative acting career ahead of him.

Standout performances from (in no particular order):
  • • Mustafa Shakir as John "Bushmaster" McIver
    • Mike Colter as Luke Cage
    • Alfre Woodard as Mariah Dillard
    • Simone Missick as Mercedes "Misty" Knight
    • Gabrielle Dennis as Tilda Johnson
    • Ron Cephas Jones as Bobby Fish
    • Thomas Q. Jones as Darius "Comanche" Jones
    • Chaz Lamar Shepherd as Raymond "Piranha" Jones
    • Sahr Ngaujah as Paul "Anansi" Mackintosh
    • Kevin Mambo as Sheldon (Bushmaster’s main friend)
The acting overall was really REALLY good – with a couple of exceptions:
  • • Theo Rossi as "Shades" was sometimes great, sometimes awful (geez dude – learn to walk tough instead of like a girl!)
    • Finn Jones as Danny Rand / Iron Fist (once again – TERRIBLY miscast – he needs to GO!)
Loved the Jamaican accents. They MAY cause difficulty for some viewers, but I’m probably a little more attuned to / fond of that accent given my geographical background & heritage :)

Well worth taking the time to watch this – draws you in more-and-more as the episodes go by. I’ll for sure be re-watching at some point :thumb2:

I’ve colored the rest “white” so you have to scroll over it to view (here be spoilers) . . .

Some great one-liners scattered throughout – these (and others) made me LOL:
  • • Get my cape!
    • One armed bandit.
    • Short arm of the law.
    • It’s my show (sidekick reference).

Liked the introduction of the “Hero for hire” concept/label.

The silly:
  • • Maria’s brownstone must have been made of non-flammable material – no fire takes THAT long to spread!
    • Misty didn’t think to check for gunshot residue on her boss’s hand ?!?!
    • The gay admission in E06 seemed out-of-place and unnecessary.
    • Why didn’t Bushmaster hang around to see Luke surface from the water?
    • The beautiful & perfect-figured female members of some of the “gangs” wielding axes and going toe-to-toe with Luke & co. . . . SERIOUSLY ?!?!?! You can hear the Directors saying “must have more women in this scene!”. PC bias gone crazy - gotta love Hollywood (* rolls eyes*)
    • The “humanising” of Bushmaster at the very end – I accepted the back story & motivation – but these people were thugs! – carrying out decapitations and murders of (relatively) innocent people – yet everything got all “fluffy” for them by series end.

The bad:
  • • Luke’s opening scene in E01 wasn’t exactly impressive. That would be the Director’s fault (Lucy Lui) and maybe a few nerves form the cast? Was enough to make me concerned for a few minutes, but I quickly realised I didn’t need to be worried.
    • The music veered from WONDERFUL to so-god-awful I had to mute the scene (honestly - that silent “C” in “rap” needs to be pronounced).
    • HATED the choreographed “audience” during the music performances – SOOOO false – EVERY time!
    • The aforementioned Mr. Rossi & Mr. Jones.
    • Didn’t like the way it ended RE: Luke & the bar (although was intrigued by Tilda’s reaction – almost like the poison has affected HER in some way).

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#25 Post by Buc Wheat »

also finished it last night...enjoyable.

(but they're pretty boxed in for story plots... like Superman, you've
got an indestructible hero...so every story needs a (almost) indestructible
villian) But agree, I liked Bushmaster!

For me, Misty steals the show. Loved every sec she was on the screen.

Hated: M. Stokes & Shades!! Gawd, what terrible acting!! It was like looking
at 2 peacocks strut around in a bad mating ritual!!?! By ep 3 I was like, 'would
someone PLEASE just cap 2 in their brain pans already!!??!'

Idjits walking around in the dark w/ sunglasses on! and hey, get a suit that doesn't
look 4 sizes too small, will ya?!

and the next N* who complains about that word being offensive will get a punch squarely in their
ugly mug. Since it seems no one else is bothered by saying the word... and saying
it...and hey, let's say it here too! N*, please!!

Not sure how I liked the ending... esp when he tells Claire to go home! (not that I was
sad when she bolted...) Seems Stokes was right... but sure he'll hit bottom and realize it in season 3.

Agree w/ grimacing every time we see Iron Fist!! I so wanted the kid from 'Sons of
Anarchy' to get that part, cuz this dude is just BAD! Jessica would have been a better
person to show up at that time in his life. Think she could relate alot better than the rich
kid did.

Heavy Metal Spike

#26 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc Wheat wrote: . . . and the next N* who complains about that word being offensive will get a punch squarely in their ugly mug.
Since it seems no one else is bothered by saying the word... and saying it...and hey, let's say it here too! N*, please!! . . .
Bring it on Rocky :) - because I forgot about that. I get it may be part of the culture (like that [c]rap music) - but THAT annoyed the heck out of me too.

I don't understand the politics of who should and shouldn't use the word, but since I know it is offensive to some people under certain conditions, it gets my back up whenever I hear it. I just consider it rude / provocative / tactless / unnecessary.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#27 Post by LOBOREX »

Loved this season, thought it was way better than the last. That said shades was horrible but everyone else rocked. Buc Wheat wrote:
. . . and the next N* who complains about that word being offensive will get a punch squarely in their ugly mug.
Since it seems no one else is bothered by saying the word... and saying it...and hey, let's say it here too! N*, please!! . . .

Bring it on Rocky :) - because I forgot about that. I get it may be part of the culture (like that [c]rap music) - but THAT annoyed the heck out of me too.

I don't understand the politics of who should and shouldn't use the word, but since I know it is offensive to some people under certain conditions, it gets my back up whenever I hear it. I just consider it rude / provocative / tactless / unnecessary.

Based on your avatars i always assumed that both of you were shades of green. :mrgreen: Going by these comments i now guess your both short in the melanin department. :lol: The basic idea is to own a hateful word by turning it into a positive. However allowing only one group to use that word does not take away it's venom in my very humble opinion. But being that i am not part of that club i do not get a say as do either of you. And HMS you watch a show about an African American super hero in Harlem in a club with a giant portrait of biggie and you did not expect old school hip hop . :rolf: :rolf:
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

Heavy Metal Spike

#28 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I can expect something without liking it :wink:

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#29 Post by LOBOREX »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:I can expect something without liking it :wink:

Okay from now on you have to watch every episode of gots with tupac as the soundtrack. That'll learn ya. :lol:
Helena is here at hand;

Heavy Metal Spike

#30 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

LOBOREX wrote:Okay from now on you have to watch every episode of gots with tupac as the soundtrack. That'll learn ya. :lol:
  • • Global Organic Textile Standard ???
    • Government off-the-shelf ???
    • Generic Obfuscated Terrible Songs ???
    • . . . and what's a "tupac"? - an incomplete beer purchase?
      • In response, I cast depressing Country music about trucks, dogs and unfaithful spouses in your general direction - take that Sir !

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#31 Post by LOBOREX »

In response, I cast depressing Country music about trucks, dogs and unfaithful spouses in your general direction - take that Sir !
Okay, okay i quit and think that maybe that constitutes a war crime. :alcoholic:
Helena is here at hand;

Heavy Metal Spike

#32 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Really sorry to hear this. There's SO much crap/dross out there that THIS deserved a MUCH longer life.

Netflix Cancels Luke Cage - https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/9993 ... wo-seasons
    • "As recently as last week, a third season order for Luke Cage was seen as a sure thing.
      The report indicates that the two sides [Marvel & Netflix] grew far apart over the past 48 hours due to “creative differences” and “rising tensions” over the direction of the show.
      Neither Marvel nor Netflix were willing to bend, and it ultimately led to the show’s premature cancellation."
Only a week after they cancelled "Iron Fist" . . . so I'm thinking that the wealth of QUALITY characters/actors these series brought us SCREAMS for the classic team-up to be announced at some point.

Be real easy to drop the sup-par actors too (* cough - Theo Rossi / Shades *) . . . (* cough cough - Sacha Dhawan / Davos *)

Otto69
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#33 Post by Otto69 »

Keep America Strong, Watch More Horror Movies!

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#34 Post by Buc Wheat »

When i first saw an article on Luke being cnx, they said
it was due to 'creative differences'... hmmm...like maybe
Disney's so called 'forthcoming' streaming chnl of their own,
maybe?!?!!

(just saying)

Heavy Metal Spike

#35 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc Wheat wrote:When i first saw an article on Luke being cnx, they said it was due to 'creative differences'... hmmm...like maybe Disney's so called 'forthcoming' streaming chnl of their own,
          • (just saying)
Yeah - have MY suspicions along those lines too.

When the retail wars end, it'll be Amazon, Google, Walmart (and Weyland-Yutani) left as superpowers . . . and then Disney will misunderstand, orchestrating a buy-out to make movies & TV shows.