What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Werewolf of London (1935)

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Ellis Kendrick
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Seam Filler

Werewolf of London (1935)

#1 Post by Ellis Kendrick »

I FINALLY saw this movie last Sunday on Amazon Prime.
It was surprisingly well-acted - given the more melodramatic acting style of the mid-30's. The sets were very well-done, costuming excellent, and the transition scenes where Hull changes into a werewolf were handled very well given 1930's technology. The werewolf makeup was very good and very low-key. If you've never seen it, it's worth a viewing !

Ellis K. in Missouri

Rebwares
Brush Jockey

Re: Werewolf of London (1935)

#2 Post by Rebwares »

Very underrated, very atmospheric. And it resulted in a GREAT kit sculpt by John Dennett!

PROFESSOR JARROD
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by PROFESSOR JARROD »

Rebwares wrote:Very underrated, very atmospheric. And it resulted in a GREAT kit sculpt by John Dennett!

I bought this kit unbuilt a few months ago, it's a great kit and was sold in the 1990's by RESIN FROM THE GRAVE.
There was another great kit of the Henry Hull Werewolf produced by the defunct JANUS Company.

Rick

Ellis Kendrick
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
Seam Filler

#4 Post by Ellis Kendrick »

Rick and Rebwares - I love that Dennett sculpt. Great action pose ! I think the Janus kit was the one with him standing by the big gate with the lamp on top - right ?
I'd love to get one - guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open !
1. Back to the movie - it also had a great supporting cast - loved the two old drunken landladies !
2. I was going to buy the DVD on Amazon and I was surprised that it was priced so high (almost $30) given the age of the movie ! Settled for a rental viewing for $3.99. Pristine condition.
3. Also - news about John Dennett on Facebook - he recently had a heart attack. He survived but he's going to be recovering for awhile.
Ellis K. in Missouri

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by temperflash »

An old favorite of mine.
The creature is more a Wolfman than a Werewolf, though few make a true distinction between the two.

I have a theory that the Werewolf legend came from the outlawry of a Norseman who could not or would not pay the fine levied against him for the unlawful or even lawful self defense killing of another Norseman. They called the fine a "Wereguild" and one who was outlawed was called a "Wolfshead". Anyone outlawed could be hunted and killed as if they were no more than a dangerous animal. Combine that with Berserker Rage and bad things are bound to happen.
Also a Norse warrior cult called the "Wolf Hearts" were the king's personal guard. They were more deadly than a Berserker because they could control their fighting rage and were trained in "War Magic". They used Amanita Muscara to reach a level where they felt no pain and had near super human speed and strength.

go-figure
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by go-figure »

What's an Amanita Muscara ??

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#7 Post by Rocketeer »

Ellis Kendrick wrote:I was going to buy the DVD on Amazon and I was surprised that it was priced so high (almost $30) given the age of the movie...
Get the Wolf Man Complete Legacy Collection instead. $16 gets you loads of Universal WolfMan goodness, including WoL. Side note: All the Universal Legacy Collections are wonderful bargains, and just the thing for that obsessive completist inside you. ;)

brucebishoputah
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#8 Post by brucebishoputah »

I also just now saw this 2 movie offer for Werewolf of London / She-Wolf of London $7.50

But as mentioned, the Legacy Collection is great!

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by temperflash »

go-figure wrote:What's an Amanita Muscara ??
Its a mushroom with psychedelic properties. AKA Magic Mushrooms or Shrooms.