What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Captain Marvel - who's believing the hype THIS time round?

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Captain Marvel - who's believing the hype THIS time round?

#1 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I have to say - I AM.

The trailers make this look superb, and the reviews that came out of the gate today are backing that up - https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/ ... her-faster
      • . . . my fave comment was this . . . :lol:

I KNOW I should know better . . . remembering 2 recent superhero movies that had praise undeservedly heaped upon them . . .
        • . . . but I have a really good feeling about this.
            • Hope I'm not disappointed.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Captain Marvel - who's believing the hype THIS time roun

#2 Post by temperflash »

I think I'll try the "Shazam" film myself. Its a spoof of a sort and played for laughs but much closer to the original character and origin story.
One thing I like is it deals with now a youngster like Billy Batson might react to suddenly becoming a grown man with power over his own fate for the first time.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#3 Post by Todd P. »

Captain Marvel has a red suit with a big yellow lightning bolt. Everyone else is a poser, including this "Shazam" character DC is pushing. How is he supposed to tell anyone his name without lightning striking?

Sadly, I'm not interested in either film. And if Marvel's "Marvel" is going to be a central character in the next Avengers movie, I'm less interested in that too. The only Captain Marvel from Marvel that I ever read was Jim Starlin's story about his death ("his" meaning it was another version of the character) which I thought was pretty good, although it had a giant logical hole, as much of Starlin's work did.

For the record, my ambivalence has nothing to do with Brie Larson annoying a bunch of people. Also for the record, my mind can be changed if the movie comes out and people love it.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#4 Post by Todd P. »

...and I still enjoy Black Panther...

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#5 Post by Zeiram »

I've enjoyed pretty much all of the MCU films. I think the second Thor flick is the only one I've not watched again. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Scott M
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#6 Post by Scott M »

Todd P. wrote:...and I still enjoy Black Panther...
Agreed. One of the better Marvel entries, IMHO.

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by temperflash »

Todd P. wrote:...and I still enjoy Black Panther...
In an effort to maintain consistency the next Black Panther film will star Lady Ga Ga in the title roll.

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#8 Post by AntMan »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.
I KNOW I should know better . . . remembering 2 recent superhero movies that had praise undeservedly heaped upon them . . .
...I also LOVED the Black Panther movie...

...along with Aquaman!

...I kind of have mixed feelings about the upcoming Captain Marvel Movie, for numerous reasons.

First and foremost, I'm a comic book Kid of the 70s, along with being a comic book "traditionalist",
(if there is such a term)? To me, if you're going to make a movie about a comic book character,
stick to the script, (and try to stay true to the original character's identity). Otherwise,
why don't you just give your movie comic book character a different name, since it's not
r-e-a-l-l-y that same character you're referring to, (is it?)

I would have preferred it if they had just recreated Jim Starlin's Captain Marvel character.
(I seem to remember a female "Marvel" character coming after the original Captain Marvel,
but I could have sworn she was "Ms. Marvel"???)

Secondly, related to Infinity Wars, I actually disliked it, (really hating its ending)! Part of this was because
going into the movie, I didn't realize that a fourth Avengers movie was coming afterwards; part was because
I just can't stand a movie which ends in a cliff-hanger, (and killing off half of the universe's population is quite a
cliff-hanger).

So along comes the upcoming Captain Marvel movie, just a month of so before the fourth Avengers movie.
(Coincidence here???)

Hmmmmm???

And, I can just guess whom Nick Fury made that phone call to, in Infinity Wars, before disappearing into oblivion himself?

(Nothing quite like retelling a tale, and just inserting a previously undiscovered super hero/(heroine) into the mix
to help change the story's ultimate outcome)?

But then again, if Captain Marvel had come out beforehand, she very well may have been part of that half of the universe's population which got wiped out.

(Despite all of my negativity here, I'll probably end up just giving in anyway, and going to see Captain Marvel when it comes out). #-o
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

Heavy Metal Spike

#9 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Yet another in a seemingly endless line of "TV spot" trailers - this time with a great choice of music :)
    • . . . and some nice "quotes" from a couple of previous movies 8) :D

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#10 Post by Misellus »

(I seem to remember a female "Marvel" character coming after the original Captain Marvel,
but I could have sworn she was "Ms. Marvel"???)
Yes, she was Ms Marvel for many years after being hit with the (whatever it was called) ray which transferred some of Mar-Vell's power to her and was his partner for years until his death...then lived in Limbo for a few years with her son/husband (same person, ick), came back to earth briefly before being de-powered by Rogue (while Rogue was a villain), eventually went into space (with the Starjammers I think), was repowered and became Binary, then came back to earth and took up "Ms Marvel" again and eventually took the name "Captain Marvel" with the encouragment of Steve Rogers in honor of her former mentor. She has been called Captain Marvel in the comics for many years. The current Ms Marvel is a shape shifter with powers similar to Reed Richards.

I'm sure I'm missing tons of stuff in her back story but there's the highlights. It's been several years since I looked up this info so my memory may not be perfect, but I think I've got everything correct

There was another (Marvel comics) Captain Marvel in the 80s who had nothing to do with the Kree. And we won't mention the Fawcett/DC Captain Marvel beyond stating he exists and is currently named Shazam.

m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Heavy Metal Spike

#11 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

(* sigh *)

Having done a LOT of reading/watching about the fuss surrounding Ms. Larson (in order to try to get past the hyperbole and totally false statements made by members of the opposing "sides"/opinions) . . . I've decided I'm out on this.

It's just been soured too much.

I'm POSITIVE it will do well - I see this raking in a fortune - but I'll now only watch it if audience reviews suggest it's as good as the hype AND when I get another batch of free tickets offered (if there's nothing else at the time that we want to see more).

Shame - I was really looking forward to this Image

Great job Brie + Disney "damage control" + Rotten Tomatoes censorship + "WOKE/owned" media :roll:

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#12 Post by Misellus »

I've been deliberately keeping my head in the sand about what's said. I know there is drama, I've no idea what the drama is about, and I suspect I'm happier that way. My interest in the character is I like the way it played on Marvel Heroes, I played CM more often than any other character on that game. The game is shut down now.

My interest in the movie is still high because it's the next Marvel movie and I like watching superhero movies. I don't always enjoy them, often complain they could have been better, really wish they'd followed the source material better, etc, but I almost always look forward to watching it...until I've seen it, then I'll bitch like mad

m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

Heavy Metal Spike

#13 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Misellus wrote: . . . I've no idea what the drama is about, and I suspect I'm happier that way . . .

Absolutely - I wish I'd been that smart.

I've had a number of things I enjoyed for YEARS turned bitter during the last 2 due to the stupidity & ignorance of certain people being broadcast to the nations.

What is it they say about never meeting your heroes? - guess that's also true about getting to know the real THEM.

Thank Lemmy that all of my music heroes (and the majority of my movie heroes) stay away from politics and "woke" issues, and/or have the intelligence to say things in a fair/tactful/realistic/representative/inclusive (TYP) manner.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#14 Post by Todd P. »

Alice Cooper is the smartest man in the U.S.A. right now.

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#15 Post by AntMan »

SOOOOOooooooo......

Has anyone seen it yet?

(If so, can you share whether you enjoyed the movie or not, without giving any spoilers)?

I'm still on the fence about it.
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

NM 156
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#16 Post by NM 156 »

Since HMS started this thread, I'm sure he won't mind "this" derail...
Todd P. wrote:Alice Cooper is the smartest man in the U.S.A. right now.
Of course he is... He is bringing Halestorm on tour with him - Lol!!!
Matt K.

Heavy Metal Spike

#17 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

NM 156 wrote:Since HMS started this thread, I'm sure he won't mind "this" derail . . .
No worries Matt :lol: - and see here :arrow: - http://theclubhouse1.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... 4#p1414244 :)

Heavy Metal Spike

#18 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

OK – I’ve been trying hard to find the right way of wording this – because it makes me look like a bit of a flip-flopping prat.
  • The buildup, hype and BS surrounding this movie has driven me NUTS – an emotional roller-coaster that had made me decide to back off from it even after MONTHS of looking forward to it.
    • Against my better judgement, I allowed myself to be dragged along to this.
      • I’m VERY glad I did.

I understand that Larson & Jackson having big mouths and saying dumb $hit will have put people off this (it certainly didn't help ME), but it totally doesn’t deserve ANY of the negative reviews it got – be they from “professional” critics , wannabees, or ground-level “I’ve seen it” paying customers.

I don’t know the history in the comics, and don’t know much about the Skrulls (aside from the Super Skrull) or the Kree (aside from GOTG) so was VERY pleasantly surprised with the script and the twists & turns it took.

The "oh dear"
  • • Most of the first 20mins was a waste of time – bit boring and just didn’t work that well. Seemed clumsy - like the film was trying to find its way. But THANK-GOODNESS – it picked up once she was on earth and Fury/Coulson are on the scene.
    • Jude Law – never rated him as an actor and once again - he’s a cardboard cut-out waste-of-space in this.
    • The rest of the Kree starforce – meh.
    • Couple of the “background” songs pulled me out of the movie experience because I’ve never been a fan of most 90’s music.
    • There was some eye-rolling about how someone with memory lapses can ride motorcycles, fly planes, but has trouble with a keyboard.
    • We were also confused by a few of the things that happened – but I won’t discuss or ask questions here because “spoilers”.
The awesome
  • • Brie Larson – she frikkin’ KILLS this. She plays the “moody bad girl” perfectly – cocksure and feisty with the power to back it up. I’d actually seek out her stuff now – despite her unfortunate real-life persona & opinions.
    • Ben Mendelsohn as Talos ALMOST steals the show from Larson. His characters are written and acted SO well.
    • Jackson (well DUH!)
    • The skrulls.
    • Our heroine's "Phoenix" moments.
    • The de-aging was very well done (again).
    • The cat – LMAO!
    • Nice tribute to Stan-The-Man.
    • Effects, music etc. etc. – great stuff!
    • I still agree with the comment on Thanos at the top of the thread :D

I know we all have different tastes & preferences (so YMMV), but as an indication, using the movies mentioned earlier in the thread, I’d give Aquaman a 1, Black Panther a 6, and THIS an 8.

Go see it – WELL worth the money. Seriously.

Ian/Spike.

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#19 Post by Zeiram »

Nice! Hoping to see it next week when we've kicked this flu. :p~
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#20 Post by scuzzfink85 »

See Green Lateran..and compare..
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021