What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

STAR TREK : PICARD

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Re: STAR TREK : PICARD

#41 Post by bucketfoot-al »

My wife and I just binge-watched Star Trek: Picard first season over our vacation, along with the last two "Next Generation" flicks (Insurrection and Nemesis). Wow. The new Picard series delivered - great writing, great special effects, just the right mix of old and new characters. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Season 2 (which just finished in 2021) gets released in February so we'll be able to watch it online - maybe even wait til next year's vacation, since that worked out so well. Can't wait!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#42 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I loved parts of season 1 - but it went downhill after episode 7, so I won't be bothering with this any more.

I also didn't watch ANY of "Discovery" season 3 because season 2 was so very VERY bad.

"Below Decks" (the animated show) had less than ZERO interest from me - will never watch any of those.

Based on real reviews (as opposed to the paid shills & access-media) I haven't missed anything even vaguely entertaining so far.

On the plus side, I've been re-watching DS9 over the last week or so, and it reminded me just HOW good "Star Trek" CAN be.

Kurtzman & his clan have ruined the universe & the franchise, and should be 3rd up against the wall come the revolution - just after those calling the shots at Disney & Lucasfilm (Favreau excepted :) ).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#43 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Never seen any of the ST: Discovery series. There have been so many ST series - the head spins.
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike

#44 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Well, we're up to S03E06 . . . and I am in AWE regarding how AWESOME this is. Not a bad episode so far, and (impossibly!) they seem to be getting better and better!

Absolutely amazing - EVERY episode is better than ALL the previous "Discovery" & "Picard" stuff they have released AND better than any of the "generations" movies (even "First Contact"!)

• S03E01 - Like a breath of fresh air . . . Between this and (almost) all of STW S01, I'm back on board hoping that the disastrous last few years of this franchise can be forgotten.

S03E02 - I'm not going to say more & spoil it, but I screamed like a little girl. Absolute badass. Grade "A" magnificence. This could not possibly be more different to Seasons 1 & 2.

S03E03 - Just . . . genius . . . pure, unadulterated, GENIUS. When you think it can't get any better - it DOES. Everything about this makes you appreciate being a long-term franchise fan, and knowing ALL the history. The new DS9 connection left me shaking. I am totally blown away by this so far.

S03E04 - The only real issue I'm having with the series so far is the way Riker is being portrayed as a bit of an impulsive finger-pointer - in HIS position, with so many years of experience, I don't see why he would act that way - particularly to his friend. My fave line - "I think we should boldly get the hell out of here" - I laughed so loud the neighbours must have wondered what was going on.

S03E05 - WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!!!! That's 5 gorgeous bits of Trek one after the other. Jack going all "Veca" has me really curious.

S03E06 - Seriously folks - could this be a more of an emotive rollercoaster . . . I actually felt my eyes fill up on NUMEROUS occasions this week - particularly at one of the storage bays (it'll be obvious to those of you that went through that bit in slow motion). In all honesty, I don't think I have EVER felt more attached and emotionally involved with a Star Trek show - EVER . . . and that is coming from someone that places TOS & DS9 on a pedestal, and right at the VERY top of his fanboy list. Absolute perfection.
                    • [list][list]Image
[/list][/list]

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#45 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Spike - I did not read any of your review of season 3 ... except for the "AWESOME" sentence! :drool2:

As in the past 2 years, my wife and I will view the entire series over the Summer while on vacation ... we can hardly wait ... :bgrin:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike

#46 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

bucketfoot-al wrote:Spike - I did not read any of your review of season 3 ... except for the "AWESOME" sentence! :drool2:

As in the past 2 years, my wife and I will view the entire series over the Summer while on vacation ... we can hardly wait ... :bgrin:

There's no spoilers in there bud - I was careful.

You will LOVE it - trust me! :thumb2:

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#47 Post by bucketfoot-al »

So far we've seen episodes 1 and 2 season 3.

Excellent plot twists, even though the whole "son of the admiral" business was done before with Kirk's son 40 years ago. Hopefully this time around it'll have a happier ending.

Tonight we're going to watch episodes 3 and 4.

😁
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#48 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Oh and let me just add a delayed review of season 2, which we watched last summer. It started off pretty wonky the first couple episodes with some not-so subtle plot twists that clearly seemed to take political positions on things that were in the news around the time.

Didn't like it too much, but stuck it out until the series turned around in episodes three and beyond.

Some good laughs with the alternate timeline were had, especially when 7 of 9 becomes president of the federation. 🤣🤣🤣

All in all very satisfactory and enjoyable. Now we'll go back to season 3 tonight. 😉
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#49 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Ok, just watched episode 3, decided to wait till tomorrow to watch episode 4. Let the tension build up. 😉

Worf's reappearance brought a nostalgically refreshing humorous aspect to the episode, while the ending of episode 3 with Riker telling Picard off was pretty cold. 😳

Will see where it goes from here tomorrow. 🤠
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#50 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Okay okay. Just finished watching episode 4 "No Win Scenario". 😳😳😳

That just may have been the best Star Trek episode of any series we've ever watched. 🤔🥴🥳

And that is saying something.

Tomorrow night, episode 5. I can hardly wait. 😜 Just WHO (or WHAT) is Picard's son anyhow? And why do the melting "boogie men" want him? :-s
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#51 Post by bucketfoot-al »

EPISODE 5 - Nothing I can add to Spike's comments upthread. aka "W.O.W." :bshock:

(Did I say the last episode might have been the BEST Trek episode I've ever seen? Maybe it was - until TONIGHT. :shock: :shock: :shock: My wife and I were on the edge of our couch the entire way in Episode 5. AMAZING!!! :shocked2: )

At this point, my best guess is that Jack Crusher is - a JEDI KNIGHT. That is what the ending of Episode 5 reminded me of. :bgrin:

Can't wait to see Episode 6 tomorrow night!
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike

#52 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

bucketfoot-al wrote: September 6th, 2023, 7:43 pm EPISODE 5 - Nothing I can add to Spike's comments upthread. aka "W.O.W." :bshock:

(Did I say the last episode might have been the BEST Trek episode I've ever seen? Maybe it was - until TONIGHT. :shock: :shock: :shock: My wife and I were on the edge of our couch the entire way in Episode 5. AMAZING!!! :shocked2: )

At this point, my best guess is that Jack Crusher is - a JEDI KNIGHT. That is what the ending of Episode 5 reminded me of. :bgrin:

Can't wait to see Episode 6 tomorrow night!

I stopped posting after E06 as didn't want to add anything that you might consider spoilers.

However, I did watch the other 4 at time of release, and the entire season does not disappoint.

Spurred on by you posting to the thread, I'm going to start re-watching all 10 tomorrow . . . that'll be just over 8hrs of QUALITY escapism in reserve that I REALLY need right now.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#53 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: September 6th, 2023, 7:56 pm *SNIP*

I stopped posting after E06 as didn't want to add anything that you might consider spoilers.

However, I did watch the other 4 at time of release, and the entire season does not disappoint.

Spurred on by you posting to the thread, I'm going to start re-watching all 10 tomorrow . . . that'll be just over 8hrs of QUALITY escapism in reserve that I REALLY need right now.

:like
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#54 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Episode 6 - things are getting ... complicated .... :bshock:

A: "I am now a pacifist"

B: "We're all gonna die" :rolf:

Spike - what was in that storage bay in Ep. 6 that you referred to? Must have missed it. Thanks! :wink:
Last edited by bucketfoot-al on September 8th, 2023, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike

#55 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

bucketfoot-al wrote: September 7th, 2023, 8:09 pm Episode 6 - things are getting ... complicated .... :bshock:

Spike - what was in that storage bay in Ep. 6 that you referred to? Must have missed it. Thanks! :wink:

All sorts of things were in various storage bays, but the one I was calling out was (warning to others - "spoiler" below) . . .

• the preserved remains of one James Tiberius Kirk - re-appropriated from his burial site in 1994's "Star Trek - Generations" movie

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#56 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: September 7th, 2023, 9:25 pm
bucketfoot-al wrote: September 7th, 2023, 8:09 pm Episode 6 - things are getting ... complicated .... :bshock:

All sorts of things were in various storage bays, but the one I was calling out was (warning to others - "spoiler" below) . . .

*SNIP*spoiler deleted*

:bshock: :bshock: :bshock:

Saw Worf looking at that one - missed the name on the bottom of the panel ...
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike

#57 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

K - spent the last couple of days "catching up" with you Vlad (well . . . I've just finished re-watching S03E01-S03E06 anyways).

I'd had WEEKS of doing stuff that other people wanted - so I decided I deserved an effin' break for a while.

Not burying myself hip-deep again until tomorrow, so I figure I can get another couple of re-watches in tonight (S03E07 + S03E08).

Looking forward to the viewing, plus a couple of glasses of wine, to be followed by our exchanges here when you are ready.

Hope the vacation is going well for you & the missus.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#58 Post by bucketfoot-al »

OK - a bit late with this one - saw Episode 7 last night ... lots of trouble - and we're about to find out what the story is with Jack Crusher ... I see lots of possible "fakes" of our main characters appearing in the last few episodes ... Picard & crew are in a heap o' trouble right now ... humanity under threat of imminent liquidation ... probably about to get worse in Episode 8 tonight ... will chat afterwards Spike! :D
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#59 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Episode 8 ... an emotional roller coaster, punctuated by an unexpected jiu-jitsu near the end ... and yet ... something VERY bad is about to happen, I suspect ... like maybe the DOOR to HE** is about to be unwittingly opened ... :bshock:

We will find out tomorrow night! Yikes!!! :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike

#60 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

bucketfoot-al wrote: September 9th, 2023, 7:49 pm Episode 8 ... an emotional roller coaster, punctuated by an unexpected jiu-jitsu near the end ... and yet ... something VERY bad is about to happen, I suspect ... like maybe the DOOR to HE** is about to be unwittingly opened ... :bshock:

We will find out tomorrow night! Yikes!!! :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:

Of course, I know where this is headed (my memory hasn't gotten THAT bad yet :) ).

But first time round, once the changelings were introduced, I'd had an entirely different theory about possible "bad guys" to the way things do turn out.

I'll let you know when you've watched them all.