What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Orville

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: This may have potential ! - The Orville

#121 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E03 - "Home"

[list][quote="tay666"]Now this episode was much more like what I had hoped for.
Some nice action, some cool visuals, a little character development and some humor (though it wasn't as present this episode)[/quote][/list]

Yarp.

Very little humour, but it was a great story - poignant even. A damn site more gripping & surprising than most (if not all) so far. Some nice twists and turns.

Not to mention TWO Star Trek Doctors in one episode :) Along with the script, the guest actors showed what a difference real acting talent makes.
  • • A total "doh" moment from me - it was only watching this episode that I spotted the biplane on the desk and realised its relevance #-o
    • Loved the gift at the end - immediately took me back to one of the questions we raised during the airing of season 1 :thumb2:
    • Not sure about Mr. Prometheus yet. They have had plenty of time to design/build new characters - and this one fell a bit flat.
    • I'll admit I was surprised/shocked with this episodes "net result" (last 7 minutes).
Best of the 3 so far (or maybe equal 1st with S02E01 - although it's difficult to match up 2 episodes that were SO different in style and approach).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#122 Post by tay666 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.
  • • A total "doh" moment from me - it was only watching this episode that I spotted the biplane on the desk and realised its relevance #-o
That's ok, I didn't even notice it.
• Loved the gift at the end - immediately took me back to one of the questions we raised during the airing of season 1 :thumb2:
Yes. It is little continuity things like this that make shows fun and interesting for me.
• Not sure about Mr. Prometheus yet. They have had plenty of time to design/build new characters - and this one fell a bit flat.
From what I see on IMDB, this was his only episode. I was checking to confirm that it was the actor I thought it was. Not sure about him falling flat though. I think if this was his only episode, he did just what was needed. Be a good contrast to Alara. It was easy to resent him being there because she wasn't there. If it would have been some cool, likable character, it would have sucked that he had to leave again when she came back.
• I'll admit I was surprised/shocked with this episodes "net result" (last 7 minutes)..
Same here. But I have since read a few interesting things about what might be going on there.
I stopped looking for info though, as I don't want to chance ruining any surprise that may be coming.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Heavy Metal Spike

#123 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: . . . I'll admit I was surprised/shocked with this episodes "net result" (last 7 minutes) . . .
  • tay666 wrote:Same here. But I have since read a few interesting things about what might be going on there.
    I stopped looking for info though, as I don't want to chance ruining any surprise that may be coming.
Snap. I have a reasonable idea . . . but stopped digging once I got a hint.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Re: The Orville

#124 Post by tay666 »

I really enjoyed this weeks ep.
Lots going on, all kinds of interesting stuff.
Some fighting, some character stuff. The B story was kind of meh at first, but it tied in nicely at the end.
Trevor Ylisaari

SaturnLtd
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#125 Post by SaturnLtd »

S2 E4 - now that's what I've been waiting for! Finally an episode worthy of the series I've come to love!

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#126 Post by tay666 »

Thought someone would have posted about this weeks ep by now.
I'm behind, due to having to DVR the show now because it is on opposite Supernatural, and I always watch that live.

I liked it. It was a bit absurd but still believable.
(by absurd, I do not mean the beliefs of the inhabitants of the planet, but the fact that they wouldn't let the two crew members leave the planet)
Trevor Ylisaari

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#127 Post by Buc Wheat »

that's weird... in my neck of the woods Supernatural is on at 8...so I
have to skip Gotham until Friday (...CW isn't on demand so have to watch
SN live)

Agree w/ not letting them leave... didn't make sense. And how many
times did the thought "...a transporter would solve this dilemma" pass
your mind during this episode! :)

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#128 Post by tay666 »

Yes, Supernatural is at 8 and Orville at 9, but the CW shows seem to run a little off from the rest of the networks. So by the time I switch from CW other shows are already in progress. And I also watch Legacies which comes right after SN.

Anyway. Yeah. The whole point was they didn't want people born under that sign mingling with the rest of the population. So what is the difference if they are in the camp, or off the planet?
Trevor Ylisaari

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#129 Post by Buc Wheat »

Those chnls that have off hour shows drive me banana's!!
Didn't 'Better Call Saul' do that all the time!

If there was a show after that I wanted to catch & saw
that off hr BS, I'd skip that ep til the next day and catch it
on demand.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#130 Post by Buc Wheat »

that last ep sucked!

and what is it w/ the holodecks... are they only available to
senior officers?! Cuz they don't seem to fear somebody walking
in on them, do they?!

(and what do these rooms smell like after awhile!??) :)

and why was this holographic sex romp any different than the
one the big guy was doing a couple eps ago?! (not to mention
how a holographic image superimposed over a robot would work,
but hey... it's SSF (stupid SF), so let that bit go)

Yeah, this season is kinda lost and stumbling around a bit.

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#131 Post by temperflash »

Liked the last ep to some extent, only because the doctor and the robot are my favorites in this crew. The less I see of the rest the better.

Edited to add last weeks ep just tore it. I made it half way through then gave up on it. Constitutionally gay aliens just aren't that interesting.

Also the replacement for the cute young officer from last year isn't working for me. The makeup that complimented the other girl's pixie like features just makes this woman look PO'ed all the time and unattractive.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#132 Post by tay666 »

Oh wow!
This weeks episode was amazing!
I thought of something like this, very early in S1, because, well, robot!
But then I thought all was cool.

Now this!
No wonder most of this season has been light on effects and big on character stuff.
They were saving it for this part of the season.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#133 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Trev's post acted as a bit of a "kick in the butt" for me.

I’ve been a bit lazy not posting some thoughts about these on a week-by-week basis, so . . . for the handful here that are interested in commenting on the show . . . I thought I’d play catch-up.

Besides, it was fun skipping through them to remind myself :)

S02E04 - "Nothing Left on Earth Excepting Fishes"

Laughed at the Rorschach test AND the battle simulation test.

I’d guessed what was going on as soon as the torture scene hit. Shame about the “exit stage left” – I thought Janel was a good addition to the crew.

New bad-guys though – never a bad thing when done well – they reminded me of the “piggy” dudes from “Fifth Element”.

Still not clear how Mercer is such an expert in operating Krill machinery labelled with Krill symbols :roll: Image

All-in-all – great episode.

Noticed that both Kelly and Janel have blue-green/green eyes – maybe Mercer has a "type" :)

S02E05 - "All the World is Birthday Cake"

Not so impressed with this one. Thought it was a bit of a “filler” episode. Clever idea to have a culture based around star signs – makes about as much sense as people that believe in horoscopes (lol).

Ted Danson cameo was cool, good to see Niko Nicotera (“Rat boy” from SOA) too.

S02E06 - "A Happy Refrain"

I appreciated this episode more than ALL the others so far this season. Once again, it was the humour that impressed me most, with this episode having some GREAT one-liners & funny moments:
  • • “Were there sparks?” / “Negative - there was no equipment malfunction” / “Well, you don’t have to brag about it”.
    • Thought Bortus’ moustache suited him – he should have kept it.
    • Running up the circular staircase to share gossip with the bridge crew – SOOOO funny.
    • The interaction between Mercer & Kelly during Kelly’s description of the cake Mercer once baked for her.
    • The Y-fronts scene.
    • The rain on the bridge was brilliant – particularly with the looks from the rest of the crew & the song playing.
    • “We are, without a doubt – the weirdest ship in the fleet”.
Was a bit confused about the orchestra (the shows own) turning up like that – “dial an orchestra in space” ?!? - very impressive though.

Was also nice seeing the 2 actors who are normally only present inside Isaac's robot/A.I. costume and voicing Yaphit (the "green jello blob").

But DAYUM that doctor has been written to have WEIRD sexual preferences! Plus I hadn’t twigged that the actress also played Sisko’s on/off girlfriend (Cassidy Yates) in ST-DS9 until today.

S02E07 - "Deflectors"

Quite liked this one – aside from the forced “inclusion” angle. Kept me guessing to the end too. The “plant” made me laugh :) (was apparently voiced by Bruce Willis!) Good to see the back of that boyfriend.

S02E08 - "Identity (part 1)"

Well THAT was a bit of a shock/twist :shocked2:

Can’t remember for sure, but think this might be the FIRST time they’ve had stuff on the scale of STNG’s “Borg” – both hostility AND special-effects wise. Looks like they may have blown the bulk of the seasons SFX budget on this one :lol:

Liked most of it – excepting the song at the party (WTH?) and that crazy landing approach pattern. Really looking forward to next weeks.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#134 Post by tay666 »

I have to give the writers and show runners props for waiting this long to flip the switch on Isaac.
As I said, I had suspicions early on, but this far in, those suspicions had disappeared.
I also like that they didn't telegraph it in any way. Just BAM! Guess what? We're bad guys now!

I really hope they don't do some mushy, Isaac sees the error of his ways and saves the day.
That has been done to death in sci-fi.
Not sure how I want them to resolve it, but I just know I hope they don't do that.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#135 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:I have to give the writers and show runners props for waiting this long to flip the switch on Isaac.
As I said, I had suspicions early on, but this far in, those suspicions had disappeared.
I also like that they didn't telegraph it in any way. Just BAM! Guess what? We're bad guys now! . . .
Agreed.
tay666 wrote:I really hope they don't do some mushy, Isaac sees the error of his ways and saves the day.
That has been done to death in sci-fi.
Not sure how I want them to resolve it, but I just know I hope they don't do that.
Agreed AGAIN - that would suck - and would be WAY too "Trek" for my liking. I'm hoping the writers have enough smarts to continue the nasties.

Guess I'll know in a couple of hours :)

Heavy Metal Spike

#136 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E09 - "Identity (part 2)"

Ah well - they went for the soppy route :roll:

Not what I wanted, but the battle scenes and a fair bit of the humour were on target (pun totally intended).

Some really dumb moments though - examples being . . .
  • • An entry to a conduit that is too small to allow maintenance.
    • The Krill noticing (and pulling alongside) a tiny shuttle - in space (it's a pretty big place :) ) - just 2 seconds after it came out of warp.
    • A.I. having to be face-to-face to communicate (seriously - it was almost "Come up and see me in my office - NOW!" (been there) :lol:
    • Yaphit typing a message for only 4 seconds before 2 guards pick up on it and appear at the door . . .

Quite liked Yaphit pulling an Ant-Man on one of the Kaylon's to disable him (and the resulting damage to our fave blob).

The fight scenes were damn impressive - that's the rest of the SFX budget shot :)

Music/orchestration was at it's usual premier league level too.

Kaylons, Krills, how many other races are going to start with the letter "K" - I forsee a battle with the reptilian "K-marts" in our future.

BUT - and I have to come clean here - is it just me that wanted Ty to get thrown out an airlock? - that little brat REALLY annoys me :lol:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#137 Post by tay666 »

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
The battle was nice and epic. Great effects and pretty realistic chaos.
It wasn't the ending I wanted, but at least they didn't go whole hog and have Isaac save it all.
Yeah, he saved the crew and ship, but his actions really didn't impact the battle, or the spheres.
So there is that.

I agree that the kid is annoying. But I think all kids that age are pretty annoying.
And ultimately, he is the one who caused the ship to be saved. I don't think Isaac would have turned for anyone else besides him, not even the doctor.
He also helped to get the message out to save Earth.

Take that Wesley! Annoying kid is younger and saved more than young Mr Crusher ever did :D

I also agree that it was pretty stupid that they couldn't communicate wirelessly.
Then again, them not killing all, or most of the crew right from the get-go seems like a pretty stupid thing as well.

Spike - you missed a nit-pick. When Ty went to open the hanger, Issac had given him a multi-digit code to unlock the hanger, yet Ty only hit 2 buttons and the door opened.

There were some good laughs though.
I cracked up about the 'pee corner'. (One of those things Trek would never touch.)
Trevor Ylisaari

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#138 Post by temperflash »

Last night's ep was not bad at all.
Only complaint I have is one they have in common with Star Trek, Technobabble. In this case The being they introduced with no prior knowledge of its race's existence there was no way the viewer could even attempt to work out what was going on. It was like one of Data's holodeck Sherlock stories, he being the only one with the inside information because he wrote the program.
I did figure who the weapon was from jump, and my idea of how the deed might be accomplished would have been more enjoyable and imaginative than the ex machina they used.

Heavy Metal Spike

#139 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

S02E10 - "Blood of Patriots"

Funnies:
  • • Are you carrying any fruit, vegetables, or livestock?
    • I’ll just need a urine sample and you’re good to go.
    • The engineering guy with the blue bobbly head.
    • "You ever met a Xelayan before?" / "No" / ** WHAM! ** / "You have now".
Most of the plot was telegraphed, but I really enjoyed this one.
    • . . . and I’ve decided I MUCH prefer our new Xelayan (Jessica Szohr as Talla Keyali) to the previous one (Halston Sage as Lieutenant Alara Kitan).

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#140 Post by tay666 »

Just watched it last night.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.
This is what I've been looking for all season. Work on the character stuff while out doing things in space.
Unlike the first few really character centric episodes.
Trevor Ylisaari