What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King

#1 Post by timetraveler »

I had never heard of this film before but I'm interested in dragons so I took a chance on it. While it is obstensibly the story of Seigfried and the Dragon, I was amazed at the performance of Kristanna Loken as Brunhild and how it presaged the (much later) depiction of Vikings' Lagertha, right down to the hairstyle! Brunhild is a true warrior, queen of Iceland and more than a match for most of her male opponents. Ms. Loken did a great job in bringing this character to life.

The dragon was pretty cool too. No wings, much more like a giant, armored komodo dragon. It does guard a treasure, breathes fire, but has the distinction of blood which can bestow invulnerability in a manner reminiscent of Achilles.

I would be remiss if I didn't make a model depiction someday of Seigfried and the Dragon, a marvelous legend and a theme that had been cinematically depicted going back to the '20s. Hopefully kits will someday be available of Seigfried and Brunhild.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King

#2 Post by Buc Wheat »

did you buy it... ck'd netflix but it's not on there.

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

Re: Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King

#3 Post by timetraveler »

I had bought the DVD (Special Edition)and I believe it is still available. Originally made in 2004, it has been released internationally under various titles, including "Curse of the Ring", "Sword of Xantan" and "Kingdom in Twilight". I find the latter title oddly prescient, as some guy named Robert Pattinson has a supporting part as brother to the prince in the film. Alicia Whitt is also in the film playing a lovestruck but treacherous princess. Years later she has turned up on Walking Dead less lovestruck but more treacherous than ever in a great performance.

One other odd connection to "Vikings" is that Ragnar's wife Aslaug introduces herself to Lagertha as "the daughter of Sigurd...THE Sigurd who slew the dragon" and whose mother was a legendary shield maiden. Also, a lot of the scenes in "Dragon King" have a crow or raven in the foreground or background. That turns up a lot on "Vikings" suggesting the all seeing Odin. Even the sails in the Viking ships in "Dragon King" are the same color as in History's "Vikings". Kind of a deep, ruddy burgandy. (Hey, I'm a modeler. I notice these things).

I'm also struck by how Brunhild foreshadows WonderWoman. Its a shame Kristanna Loken was never able to develop the character further. Both Siegfried and Brunhild are mortals, not gods, who gain super powers and run the risk of using them for good, but also being destroyed by them. Is that not the tragedy of all superheroes?

Regarding the Fritz Lang 1924 version, clips of the Dragon scene are on Youtube. You gotta give them credit for trying to come up with a fullscale, mechanical and very much (real) fire breathing dragon. I think a model of that character would be great also, given that it predates Kong and even Lost World for cinematically depicting a giant, reptilian monster. Dragons are the original kaiju, as they are actual characters, not just some nameless beast, usually with their own name (Fafnir is the dragon in the Seigfried/Sigurd legend) and their own backstory related to the plot. The tradition has continued with "Vermithrax", "Falcor", "Draco", and "Smaug". And let us not forget "Dracula" the Son of the Dragon.