What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Just saw Aquaman - Twice!

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

Just saw Aquaman - Twice!

#1 Post by AntMan »

I originally went into seeing Aquaman with low expectations and quite a few reservations. Although I DID like both Wonder Woman along with the Justice League Movies, in general D.C./Warner Brothers' track record with their Super Hero movies has been less than stellar, (in my humble opinion).

I ended up seeing Aquaman once last week with my brother, and then viewed it a second time (once again with my brother) in 3-D, yesterday.

(As is probably obvious) I ENJOYED THE HECK OUT OF IT! BEST SUPER HERO MOVIE I'VE SEEN IN SOMETIME, (and Yes, I'm placing up above the most
recent Avengers movie).

******************************* Mini Spoiler Alerts **********************************************
It has pieces of Black Panther and Thor mixed in, (both visually along with plot-wise, a little). However it was still nevertheless really appealing.

I also appreciated the underlying theme of us doing a better job of not polluting the oceans as we have been.
********************************************************************************************

I thought that the humor in the movie was not excessive and flowed with the more serious, intense aspects of the movie.

I appreciated the acting.

I loved the many "Strike the Pose" moments in the movie!

Also, I appreciated the underlying emotional aspects of the characters.

All-in-All, a Really Great Super Hero movie, (and from D.C./Warner Brothers? Imagine that?)
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

brucebishoputah
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

Re: Just saw Aquaman - Twice!

#2 Post by brucebishoputah »

I and my wife saw it yesterday and very much liked it. I'm still distracted by the long black hair and beard, and all the tattoos, but I see past that to enjoy the movie. Glad to see Aquaman's armor be a comic book version. Colorful too. About time DC movies started to have color in them again.

In no special order, my favorite modern DC movies are Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Suicide Squad.

Suicide Squad was enjoyable for me because I've read a lot of the series, years ago, and like the concept. Some people are complaining about the 'heroes' in the movie, but the point is that they are not heroes, but villains. I think the look was too dark though. I like a good bright, well-lighted superpower movie. Miss the suits too.

Looking forward to Shazam and any other new DC movies coming out. Before I wasn't very interested but now that they seem to be more like comic books I'm really enjoying them.

WStulack
Seam Filler

#3 Post by WStulack »

I also saw Aquaman and was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it. I loved the bright colors and the classic costumes of both Aquaman and Black Manta.
I would have preferred the Classic look for Aquaman, but I really enjoyed Jason Mamoa's performance in Justice League, plus the trailer for Aquaman looked amazing.
So I saw it, and was not disappointed!

I would have to say Aquaman is my favorite DC movie to date. Hopefully DC will take their movies in a brighter direction now and move away from the Doom and Gloom.
Judging from the Shazam trailer, it looks like that might be the case.
William Stulack

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#4 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

My apologies to those who came before me . . . but OMG was this bad.

I'm so disgusted, I can't find the words right now. I have no idea how this just passed the $1billion mark in worldwide box-office.

Shaking my head in disbelief :-s

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#5 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Right – 2 cups of tea later. I’m calmer now :)

Yeah – it was BAD - BAD with a capital "B" bad.

The first 25 minutes are OK – then things go underwater and it just gets sillier and sillier. The trailers showed the only decent bits of the entire movie.

Badly scripted, badly acted, badly cast, bad cinematography, bad direction, Transformers-style-bad SFX, bad costumes, badly scored - even the humour (which I will normally fall back on to make allowances) only worked (at most) half the time.
  • • Pretty much EVERYONE was miscast. Even Momoa. He LOOKS the part, but the way he was scripted & directed (from 25 mins on anyways) resulted in him coming over as an awkward caricature. He was much better in GOT and Conan.
    • Amber Heard especially was TRULY awful. Every scene with her, every LINE even - is cringeworthy. There was ZERO on-screen chemistry between her and Momoa.
    • Nicole Kidman – plastic-faced with wooden acting.
    • So many unexplained and/or stupid things happened that I thought I was watching "The Predator" again.
    • The “trench” creatures on the boat were a cool design – but even their scene made me roll my eyes and facepalm.

• In fact, so much of this played like a bad manga or Saturday morning kids cartoon, with unintentional live-action/animation mixes a-la "Bedknobs & Broomsticks" and "Mary Poppins" (but badly done):
    • • Hokey comedy.
      • The musical "score".
      • The dialogue (who writes lines like this and gets PAID for it !?!?!?)
      • The CGI for various travels in/through Atlantis.
      • The Michael Bay transformers-like CGI fight scenes.
      • I was reminded of "Shark Tale", "He-Man" and "Scooby-Doo" on multiple occasions – and not for good reasons – it was THAT cartoon-like.
    • It didn’t help that it was so long - dragging out the torture for nearly 2½ hours!

Honestly - not 5 minutes went by where I didn’t feel bad for the cast (and the audience having to sit through it).

As with Batman v Superman & Justice League - I’ll never watch this again. Guaranteed. It was all I could do to stay through to the end so I didn’t appear rude. Thank Lemmy I didn’t have to pay to watch it!

Go figure - appalling crap like this earns $1Billion, while some truly SUPERB movies & TV series never get a FRACTION of the financial rewards/recognition they deserve (cough . . . “Firefly” . . . cough . . . )

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

DNA
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by DNA »

It was my turn to pick a movie and it came down to Spiderman or Aquaman. Persuaded my Wife to see Aquaman and boy was it a bad choice. The CG faces at the beginning of the movie was more distracting than Cavill's mustasche removal. Why did I pick DC over a Marvel movie..... won't make that mistake again.

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#7 Post by AntMan »

"HMS" & DNA,

WOW, guys!

Ultimately you like what you like, and you don't like what you don't like. - (Pretty philosophical of me here, huh)?

When I go to see superhero movies I'm personally not focusing on the casting of actors or actress in correct roles, or the nuances of the story line, or a whole of those other things traditional movie critics look for in movies. I'm going to the superhero movie ultimately just to be entertained, with hopes that the associated movie studio does a good job in bringing the super hero or heroine to life from the comic books. (A half-way decent plot, along with some good acting always helps with this as well).

I still say that this is DC/Warner Brothers' BEST super hero to date, (and evidently the masses agree, since I just read somewhere that it's taken the lead in revenues for DC/Warner Brothers' super hero movies).

However once again, this is just my humble opinion.
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Buc Wheat »

just watched it the other night. I'll say I liked it, but could agree
w/ much of what Heavy Metal Spike says above (is that possible?!)

for me, I'm a Marvel snob...so of course, being DC, HMS is right one! <wink>
(but he does make some valid points)

I've pretty much liked everything, up til now, that Jason Mamoa has been in.
From GoT, Conan, Frontier... so I thought casting him as Aquaman was great.

and... HMS: how many times as a yout' did we walk into our neighborhood drugstore,
spin the rack of comic books and EVERY time get suckered into those great Aquaman
covers??! (ok, the story usually sucked...but then those Superman,Batman & Detective
covers did same thing) (and I don't care what anyone sez... JLA with BatAflect, sucked
green donkey d....'s!!)

So, in conclusion... I turned off my mind and enjoyed it..but yeah, probably won't
watch it again.

(oh... one positive note above all others... who else has ever....EVER...turned sea
horses into such mean arse sonsofbit...es???!! For that 10yr old Buc, they were pretty
dang impressive!)

#makeminemarvel

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#9 Post by Todd P. »

Saw it over the weekend, took it as an affirmation that Rotten Tomatoes usually gets it right. Really bad film.