What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

=== CLASSIC movies/TV you've watched during lockdown

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: === CLASSIC movies/TV you've watched during lockdown

#21 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

See - that's the problem with Hollwood - but then I guess that "An American special-effect in London" wasn't quite the catchy title they were looking for :)
          • (* It's still a great movie *)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

temperflash
Bishop of Build Ups

#22 Post by temperflash »

Recently binged on "Love and Curses" AKA "She Wolf of London". I pretty decent and amusing TV series of its time.
Maybe not a classic unless you were a fan back in the day.

Now I'm re-watching "LEXX", working on the third season.

Heavy Metal Spike

#23 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

temperflash wrote:Recently binged on "Love and Curses" AKA "She Wolf of London". I pretty decent and amusing TV series of its time.
Maybe not a classic unless you were a fan back in the day.

Now I'm re-watching "LEXX", working on the third season.
Never heard of the first series you mention - I'll have to do some reading-up.

I seem to remember really liking seasons 1 & 2 of LEXX, but only watching seasons 3 & 4 out of "loyalty". About time I started watching those again (they are not "pre-1985" though" :) ).

Heavy Metal Spike

#24 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

A family showing of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World".

1963 baby !!!! (yeah - almost FIFTY-NINE years ago!) :shocked2:

It's sometimes tough to explain things to the next generation . . you know . . . once they have been exposed to high action & transformers & computer generated stuffs.

It's a bit like trying to share how state-of-the art, and held in awe, Harryausen's work was, when they think Jurassic Park is the norm.

Asking them to cast their minds back to when SCRIPT, HUMOUR & ORIGINALITY was appreciated . . . and that movies like these were LITERALLY years ahead of the stuff they watch nowadays . . . can be a hard sell. It puts them in a position where they perhaps struggle to understand how much early movie-goers enjoyed what THEY had at hand, and why these films were (and are) so venerated.

BUT . . . for some reason, fortunately, they didn't need too much convincing on this one :D

THREE HOURS & TWENTY-TWO MINUTES long - an absolute classic in EVERY sense of the word.

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#25 Post by derekc62 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.

A family showing of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World".

1963 baby !!!! (yeah - almost FIFTY-NINE years ago!) :shocked2:

It's sometimes tough to explain things to the next generation . . you know . . . once they have been exposed to high action & transformers & computer generated stuffs.

It's a bit like trying to share how state-of-the art, and held in awe, Harryausen's work was, when they think Jurassic Park is the norm.

Asking them to cast their minds back to when SCRIPT, HUMOUR & ORIGINALITY was appreciated . . . and that movies like these were LITERALLY years ahead of the stuff they watch nowadays . . . can be a hard sell. It puts them in a position where they perhaps struggle to understand how much early movie-goers enjoyed what THEY had at hand, and why these films were (and are) so venerated.

BUT . . . for some reason, fortunately, they didn't need too much convincing on this one :D

THREE HOURS & TWENTY-TWO MINUTES long - an absolute classic in EVERY sense of the word.

I watched one of the better Blu-ray releases of this movie last year and in the 'making of' section they explain that while the fire truck scene is puppets and stop motion the scenes with the plane flying through the billboard and through the hanger were done with a pilot at the controls!!

If you've never seen it (or haven't seen it in a while), do yourself an enormous favor because it is fantastic!
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike

#26 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

derekc62 wrote:I watched one of the better Blu-ray releases of this movie last year . . .
Do you know what the true runtime was on that version Derek? - there are a number of edits out there and they don't always tell the truth on the packaging!

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#27 Post by derekc62 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
derekc62 wrote:I watched one of the better Blu-ray releases of this movie last year . . .
Do you know what the true runtime was on that version Derek? - there are a number of edits out there and they don't always tell the truth on the packaging!

Mine is from the Criterion Collection and runs 163 min.

As I recall it also includes 'reconstructed' deleted scenes using story boards, etc., and if you watch it that way it runs longer.

Writer Mark Evanier has a number of blog posts about the film here: https://www.newsfromme.com/?s=mad+mad+m ... +criterion

He was a contributor for the audio commentary.
Last edited by derekc62 on June 20th, 2022, 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike

#28 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

derekc62 wrote:Mine is from the Criterion Collection and runs 163 min.
As I recall it also includes 'reconstructed' deleted scenes using story boards, etc., and if you watch it that way it runs longer.
Yeah - that makes sense - I found this on IMDB :arrow: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/alternateversions