What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Wonder Woman 1984

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Wonder Woman 1984

#1 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Anyone else seen this? . . .
            • Thoughts? . . .

Watched it earlier today - don't want to post my thoughts (or any spoilers) yet.

Other than :arrow: could have been better - could have been worse.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: Wonder Woman 1984

#2 Post by Zeiram »

Meh.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Heavy Metal Spike

#3 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Zeiram wrote:Meh.
Those one-word reviews - they cut the deepest :)

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by Buc Wheat »

I just learned from my son that if you have HBO you can get HBO Max too
(i thought they would bill you extra for that and I was damned if I was going
to pay for 2 of um!)

So I'll be watching WW soon.

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

#5 Post by DoctorG »

Watched it on Xmas Day with my stepson and we were disappointed in it. Vert slow first hour and I thought it was trying too hard to be some sort of Xmas feel-good movie. For me, the after credit scene was the highlight of the entire film :wink:
Dr. G.

motherhen
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by motherhen »

DoctorG wrote:....the after credit scene was the highlight of the entire film :wink:
Totally agree...
It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death.

I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.

Heavy Metal Spike

#7 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Gal Gadot was the best thing about this for me. Amazing actress who I think was perfectly cast. I think she'll do a great job if she weathers the storm over "Cleopatra" too. Kristen Wiig was also good, as was Chris Pine. The rest of the cast (especially PP) - not so much :roll:

Also have to admit (who wouldn't!?) GG is not really my "type" but WOW is she stunning to look at :shock: The only other woman I've ever command that sort of attention simply by WALKING is Melania Trump.

Yet another 2½ hour movie that could (should) have been trimmed down. Could easily have done without the opening 10mins with that annoying younger Diana - the whole thing came over as contrived, and an excuse to let the SFX team let rip. The REST of the 1st 2hrs was OK (ish), but that last 30mins - man they REALLY lost the plot (figuratively AND literally) - incredibly stupid, insulting and VERY badly written. It's like they came up with a clever idea at the start but had no idea how to resolve the story in an interesting and acceptable way. What is it about Wonder Woman movies? - the 1st one did the same thing! That much-touted "gold suit" was a complete waste-of-time too.

Notice that regardless, the access media seem to be "all shills on deck" over this.

Yeah - there was a fanboy scream (copyright Mandalorian S02E08) in that mid-credits scene for sure.

Don't get me wrong - was nowhere near as bad as "Aquaman", but it's instantly forgettable, and (as with the 1st one) it'll be a good 2-3 years before we get round to watching it again (if ever).

Oh - and 1984 without a HINT of heavy rock - give me a break !!!!!

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#8 Post by derekc62 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:.

The rest of the cast (especially PP) - not so much :roll:
Awful character and portrayal - seemed clear to me the character was supposed to be DJT

Yet another 2½ hour movie that could (should) have been trimmed down. Could easily have done without the opening 10mins with that annoying younger Diana - the whole thing came over as contrived, and an excuse to let the SFX team let rip.
Going to have to disagree on this point. The flash back served as foreshadowing for the adult Diana wanting to 'win' Steve Trevor back by wishing him into existence. As with the childhood experience you can't cheat your way to a win.

The REST of the 1st 2hrs was OK (ish), but that last 30mins - man they REALLY lost the plot (figuratively AND literally) - incredibly stupid, insulting and VERY badly written. It's like they came up with a clever idea at the start but had no idea how to resolve the story in an interesting and acceptable way. What is it about Wonder Woman movies? - the 1st one did the same thing! That much-touted "gold suit" was a complete waste-of-time too.
Total agreement on this point. What kind of armour is supposed to protect Wonder Woman having withstood an onslaught in ancient times yet is torn up within two minutes by Cheetah?
Don't get me wrong - was nowhere near as bad as "Aquaman", but it's instantly forgettable, and (as with the 1st one) it'll be a good 2-3 years before we get round to watching it again (if ever).

Oh - and 1984 without a HINT of heavy rock - give me a break !!!!!

I actually preferred Aquaman to this mishmash.
Why is it Marvel can have hit after hit and DC has miss after miss - is it Zack Snyder's continued involvement in the DC Movie Universe? Is it total contempt for the source material? DC is in desperate need of a guiding force like a Jon Favreau or a Kevin Feige. Geoff Johns is not that person. As producer, exec. producer or writer he has been responsible for: Green Lantern (2011) Justice League (2017) Aquaman (2018) and now Wonder Woman 1984

Oh, and the producers might have wanted to consider a little song from Canadian band Big Sugar for their closing credits. At least this has some heart...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCo-hzP ... rt_radio=1
Derek Conlon

Heavy Metal Spike

#9 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

derekc62 wrote: . . . Awful character and portrayal - seemed clear to me the character was supposed to be DJT . . .
The interwebz is FULL of that - but honestly - just didn't get any vibe/overlap/reference at-all on that - if it's there then it totally went over my head.

LOBOREX
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by LOBOREX »

Firstly the film as a whole meh. Secondly hms that predator fixation once again rears it's ugly head "The only other woman I've ever command that sort of attention simply by WALKING is Melania Trump" :rolf:
Helena is here at hand;
And the youth, mistook by me,
Pleading for a lover's fee.
Shall we their fond pageant see?
Lord, what fools these mortals be! -Puck

Heavy Metal Spike

#11 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

LOBOREX wrote: . . . hms that predator fixation once again rears it's ugly head "The only other woman I've ever command that sort of attention simply by WALKING is Melania Trump" . . .
She (actually - either of them) could prey on me ANY time.

Not sure I could afford to keep them in clothes though given their fashion interests - but that could end up being an unexpected bonus :-k

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by Buc Wheat »

Watched it the other night. Wow, and I really liked PP...but gawd, that was
bad! Won't be able to watch another Mandalorian without throwing up alittle bit! :)

Agree w/ mostly everyone above. add my 'meh'.

riteguytu
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#13 Post by riteguytu »

Utterly forgettable movie...So sad as I found the first one so good! :(
My sculpts: http://riteguytu.deviantart.com/gallery/

My conversions and other statue related shenanigans : https://www.facebook.com/samuel.oloriteguytu.3

KathyD
Jack of all Trades

#14 Post by KathyD »

I found it an entertaining couple of hours. I have no investment in the WW character as I never read the comics nor followed the TV show so no expectations, but I like Gal Gadot in the role.
I thought main bad guy was a bit weak but loved the Kristen Wiig character as I could have been her before she made her wish (and I would have made that wish too). Reminded me that the 80's were interesting times too :)

mightymax
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#15 Post by mightymax »

Have not seen it but have watched reviews on Youtube just ripping on how bad it allegedly is.