What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

KONG GODZILLA

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: KONG GODZILLA

#41 Post by Buc Wheat »

monsterjones wrote:
Buc Wheat wrote:what he said!!!! :)
LOL...okay Mr Wheat...very funny!
Sorry...cudn't resist, Bill! I'll blame HM Spike! :)

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#42 Post by centaur1 »

Buc Wheat wrote:Watched it last night. Liked the fight scenes, but we'd need 4 hours
sitting around on a nice warm evening, drinking and smoking, to properly
rag over the rest of this.
To be fair, I think the CGI effects and the sound to the film was incredibly impressive

you really got the feel of these were enormous creatures that were as they moved huge amounts of water, and fought amongst crumbling skyscrapers

it really got the job done as far as being believable from a special effects angle

And I was thinking the storyline was going to be good, until....... The Syfy aspect starting to become very prominent and overpowering..... such as when Kong started falling down the giant hole to the center of the earth with a ship of heroes ship right behind him. I was wondering if they were going to run across Doug McClure and Peter Cushing down there

And at the beginning of the film after he woke up and scratched his butt, and threw the tree as a throwing a spear and it punctured his enclosed environment..... that reminded me of Jim Carrey in the Truman show

The part where his heart was stopping (the little girl somehow knew that) and when they parked the ship and set it to detonate on top of his heart, and that gave him a shock that restarted his heart........ that was reminiscent of Linda Hamilton in King Kong lives and the infamous heart transplant scene with the crane.

But to be honest...... I’m just having fun with this...... because I know so many did enjoy it

but to me it was incredible as far as effects go ......and an incredible let down as far as the kiddie childish storyline goes

But to each his own...... I’m glad it seems to be such a success

This was obviously not the king Kong from the original storyline. That believable King Kong character is sacred to me.....this superhero Kong is an entirely different animal. I never liked comicbook heroes, so it’s no wonder this film did not appeal to me

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#43 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Buc Wheat wrote: . . . I'll blame HM Spike! . . .
    • So - business as usual then :) (like YOU need ANY encouragement from ME to play the "BYB" card :P )
centaur1 wrote: . . . when Kong started falling down the giant hole to the center of the earth with a ship of heroes ship right behind him. I was wondering if they were going to run across Doug McClure and Peter Cushing down there . . .
            • :rolf: :rolf: :rolf:
centaur1 wrote: . . . it was incredible as far as effects go ......and an incredible let down as far as the kiddie childish storyline goes . . .
    • Yeah - CGI was great - the script, dialogue, plot, directing and acting not-so-much.
        • (* SOOOO bad on the acting! - Deadpool should have let the calorie-enhanced Kiwi kid die - and don't get me started on that lass from "Stranger Things" . . . next time I watch THAT I'm rooting for the Demogorgon! *)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#44 Post by Buc Wheat »

Yeah... again, I really enjoyed the fight scenes alot.

everything else was forgettable!

and EXACTLY: that kid from deadpool was SO annoying I was hoping Cable
would time zone in and finally take him out! :)

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#45 Post by centaur1 »

This “visual effect” that was the brunette babe (the one that Kong crushed in the ship ) was especially well done.

KathyD
Jack of all Trades

#46 Post by KathyD »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: CGI was great - the script, dialogue, plot, directing and acting not-so-much.
I've never watched a Godzilla film for story, plot, dialog or acting - just for a cool big lizard roaring and smashing stuff. So I loved it :) And to quote from an article about the film

"a giant ape fighting a colossal lizard is exactly what the doctor ordered. Does it bravely push artistic and technical boundaries? No. Does it matter? Not really"

Heavy Metal Spike

#47 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

KathyD wrote:I've never watched a Godzilla film for story, plot, dialog or acting . . .
    • Probably just as well :)
KathyD wrote: . . . just for a cool big lizard roaring and smashing stuff. So I loved it . . .
    • And THAT is what is important - if you loved it you loved it. No shame (well, maybe a little).

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#48 Post by tay666 »

KathyD wrote:
Heavy Metal Spike wrote: CGI was great - the script, dialogue, plot, directing and acting not-so-much.
I've never watched a Godzilla film for story, plot, dialog or acting - just for a cool big lizard roaring and smashing stuff. So I loved it :) And to quote from an article about the film

"a giant ape fighting a colossal lizard is exactly what the doctor ordered. Does it bravely push artistic and technical boundaries? No. Does it matter? Not really"
EXCACTLY!
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#49 Post by Misellus »

I remember having a similar conversation about Pacific Rim. Something along the lines of "It's giant robots fighting giant monsters! It's pretty much the perfect movie."

I'm not a Kong or Godzilla fan but I expect I'll watch and enjoy this (at some point in the future, busy now)
m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#50 Post by tay666 »

Misellus wrote:I remember having a similar conversation about Pacific Rim. Something along the lines of "It's giant robots fighting giant monsters! It's pretty much the perfect movie."
Yep.
Which is what made the 2nd one such a disappointment.
They fixed the issue with all the fights being at night, in the rain, and gave us beautiful daylight fight scenes.
But they tried to do so much, and get so cute with the plot that it just turned into a mess.
Trevor Ylisaari

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#51 Post by Todd P. »

Saw it on the big screen and liked it well enough. As kaiju films go, it stands taller than most. I'll want to see it one more time, sooner or later, but don't know if I'll require a third viewing.

Kong was the most interesting character in the film. Obviously not the same as the King Kong kidnapped from his home and shot off the Empire State Building. Heck, falling off a skyscraper would barely bruise this giant ape. But I appreciate that Godzilla vs. Kong managed to bring in elements of this Kong being yanked around by humans for their own purposes, and I also appreciated the nods to the original King Kong vs. Godzilla.

The hollow earth stuff didn't do much for me. If the movie explains what makes all that light in the center of Earth, I missed it.

Technically, this film is obviously a huge advancement over the 1962 original. Yet as I consider them both, I'm believing more and more that I prefer the original, one to one. Kong is just a guy in a gorilla suit and not as interesting a character, but the movie is more fun, less grim, and doesn't take itself seriously.
Last edited by Todd P. on April 12th, 2021, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#52 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Todd P. wrote:...
The hollow earth stuff didn't do much for me. If the movie explains what makes all that light in the center of Earth, I missed it.
I thought I saw something that I interpreted as the molten center of the earth that was emitting the light.

"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#53 Post by Todd P. »

That makes as much sense as anything. I guess that means nighttime never happens down there.

NM 156
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Squire of the Sprue

#54 Post by NM 156 »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
KathyD wrote:I've never watched a Godzilla film for story, plot, dialog or acting. . . just for a cool big lizard roaring and smashing stuff. So I loved it . . .
And THAT is what is important - if you loved it you loved it. No shame (well, maybe a little)
This post has been bugging me for a week now...
So you point out that "THAT is what is important... No shame",
followed by "(well maybe a little)"???

Nice... You commend someone, by contradicting them BY shaming them!!!
Matt K.

Heavy Metal Spike

#55 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

NM 156 wrote:
Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
KathyD wrote:I've never watched a Godzilla film for story, plot, dialog or acting. . . just for a cool big lizard roaring and smashing stuff. So I loved it . . .
And THAT is what is important - if you loved it you loved it. No shame (well, maybe a little)
This post has been bugging me for a week now...
So you point out that "THAT is what is important... No shame",
followed by "(well maybe a little)"???

Nice... You commend someone, by contradicting them BY shaming them!!!
You know me Matt - don't have a mean bone in my body - sorry if I offended you - it was supposed to be funny.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#56 Post by tay666 »

Todd P. wrote:That makes as much sense as anything. I guess that means nighttime never happens down there.
I am really hoping this does well enough, that they make another film in the series.
Then maybe we can get some answers to these questions.

Seriously. Now that they have established it, they can make a whole film in hollow earth and not even mention Godzilla or have to deal with Toho.
Trevor Ylisaari

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#57 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: You know me Matt - don't have a mean bone in my body - sorry if I offended you - it was supposed to be funny.
Some people just don't get us. ](*,)
Love the new banner though.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Heavy Metal Spike

#58 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Tim Fortuna wrote:Some people just don't get us. ](*,)
Love the new banner though.
That's because we're weird Tim :nuts: Humour doesn't always come over the way it was intended, but Matt & I PM'd and all is good.

The banner/sig will change over time (I have quite a few ideas :mrgreen: ) - we're just trying to draw attention to the funding drive and raise a few smiles 8)

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#59 Post by Tim Fortuna »

Matt's a great guy, should've put that in my post. Just trying to lighten the mood.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#60 Post by Todd P. »

tay666 wrote:I am really hoping this does well enough, that they make another film in the series.
It's getting close to $400 million worldwide, and I read it also drew more viewers to HBO Max than the new Justice League. Biggest thing movie-wise in more than a year. So I'll bet there's a good chance we'll see more.