What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

A walk down memory lane

Discuss Movies, Televison and all your favorites whether they be on DVD, VHS, or the Silver Screen

Moderator: Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

A walk down memory lane

#1 Post by tay666 »

Wow! This video really hits it on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFipUGJKN1E
VHS Memories and What Nostalgia Means to Me - Cinemassacre

James is a bit younger than most of us, but the stuff he touches upon in this video really applies to any time period we would be familiar with.
Him talking about watching crappy movies because there was no way to know if it was good or not until you watched it. Either because the description on the VHS box, or the little blurb in the newspaper TV listings works for any time from the 60's through the 90's.
I was much older than him, when I was taping late night horror movies off the TV, but the memories are still the same.

Talking about how some of the books/magazines had completely wrong information and not learning the truth for years really hit home on some things as well.
With the internet and all this information at our finger tips, it really is a walk down memmory lane thinking of our youth when you had no way of knowing so much. Just had to take a chance and watch or rent that movie, and hope it was worth the time. No reviews, or trailers to look up online. Just cool box art to suck you in and grab your attention.

This video is a great 20 minute walk into the past, and IMHO well worth the time to watch.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: A walk down memory lane

#2 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I've bookmarked the vid to watch later (ta), but your post reminded of something similar that's been running through my mind a lot lately . . . the way we consumed music back then . . . buying albums on the strength of a single, only to find out the rest was "not up to par" :roll: :lol:

Of course, there were WAY more benefits than drawbacks - because we got the excited wait for the release of new vinyl from favourite artists, holding the physical record, poring over the inner/outer sleeves and liner notes, and listening patiently to the both sides end-to-end, the appreciation & acceptance of the work you'd had to do to be able to afford to buy, etc. etc. These are all things that later generations don't get to experience because it's all so immediately accessible, basically free, and transitory to them.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#3 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Well, THAT, was just . . . PLEASANT.

Obviously different in some ways to my experience back in the UK, but smiled at the memories of the narrow, slanted, wooden shelving, the box-art that "drew you in", the frustration of trying to track down "that tape" that people KEEP checking out before you get to it.

That "curtained off" section at the back of some (non-chain) stores, that you couldn't enter until you were 18 :lol:

Smiled at a lot of the covers too - that Millennium Falcon rip-off - OMG! :D

I PARTICULARLY remember the first time I rented "Escape From New York" . . . mind BLOWN, and me passing up renting Carpenter's "The Thing" multiple times because the box-art looked too gory, only to eventually cave and realise just what I'd been missing (mind BLOWN AGAIN!)

So many, MANY movies that I remember renting (and buying . . . and STILL have) on VHS! Plus I kept all the tapes of stuff I taped off the TV (or made bootleg copies of - the benefits of investing in a 2nd VCR :oops: ).

Simple times.

And then we get to the end of the YouTube video, and he mentions music (per my previous post), AND turns out he's a metalhead :jam:

That was a great watch - thanks for the link Trev :thumb2:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#4 Post by tay666 »

You are welcome. I was gonna reply to your first post to mention he touches on music at the end.
I really like that question he posed about which is better. Being able to listen to anything at any time, or buying an album and just listening to that for a week or two until you could afford another one.
Giving you a chance to appreciate a song that didn't grab you at first.

I love the Cinemassecre channel. I found it a few years ago. He does a lot of movie reviews and usually does a bunch for Halloween. His video game reviews are pretty good too.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths