What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Next concert on the calandar

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

Re: Next concert on the calandar

#461 Post by raydrz »

for me, the internet ruined my interest in most meet&greets...you get to know nearly everything about the individuals in question...TOO MUCH IN MOST CASES...although guys like blackmore or malmsteen are legendary AlphaHenrys, i'd hate to pay huge to find out which of my heroes are zeroes...

i've met & chatted to several national acts in relaxed settings at small clubs...one of the best was Leslie West who sat down at a table with me & my pals around a decade ago and was as cool as if we were life-long buddies...
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."
http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#462 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

raydrz wrote: . . . i've met & chatted to several national acts in relaxed settings at small clubs . . .
Yeah - tracking the bands down in a local bar (their hotel or otherwise) after the gig was always a good idea. My friends & I met dozens of band-members that way.

They are usually still on a bit of a high and I generally found people to be quite chatty.

Happy times in my teens & twenties :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#463 Post by tay666 »

Never did a meet & greet.
Was tempted once for Papa Roach, that was before the prices got crazy.
Can't say I blame the bands for doing it though. They're in town, have time to kill before the show, why not make some fans happy and earn a little coin in the process. Especially since they aren't making bank on record sales anymore.
The ones that make no sense to me, are those tents at the festivals.
Who wants to stand in line forever (missing other bands in the process) just to be able to buy a CD and have a few band members sign it?
[now that I typed that out, it sounds a whole lot like any fan convention and people standing in line to buy a photo and get an autograph. But it just doesn't seem right at a concert. Especially when there are bands playing]

I have met a few not-so-famous band members at shows. Hanging out watching people leave and such. It's kinda cool to sit and BS with them a bit.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#464 Post by Scooke123 »

I met a lot of band members when my son used to do catering for concerts - was pretty cool sitting backstage and bs-ing with bands. Most all were pretty cool, got some good stories and memories out of it.
Steve Cooke

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#465 Post by raydrz »

tay666 wrote: Who wants to stand in line forever (missing other bands in the process) just to be able to buy a CD and have a few band members sign it?
guy i was with was a HUGE phil anselmo fan so we waited in the line...NO BANDS PLAYING...and my pal got phil to sign his back, which then became a tattoo...everyone in line 'had to' take a puff off phil's monster doobie :smokin: ...the show was a fest with DOWN, which i didn't particularly care for...but PANTERA...
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#466 Post by tay666 »

Well, now I have another show before the Kiss show.
Lindsey Stirling is coming to Erie the end of July.
The wife and I will be in the balcony at the Warner Theater for that.
Should be great, and really good venue for that style of music.
Trevor Ylisaari

Notophthalmus
Seam Filler

#467 Post by Notophthalmus »

I'm vaguely embarrassed to admit this, but I'm pretty excited to see Heart, Joan Jett, and Cheap Trick in a few months. I actually saw Cheap Trick at my very first concert- they opened for STP. I was 16 and had no idea who they were; I hadn't discovered classic rock yet.

I had tickets to see the legendary Ginger Baker, but he canceled due to health issues.

My girlfriend was the beneficiary of North Carolina's bathroom law - Ringo Starr canceled his NC show and decided to play a second Nashville show instead, so she'll be taking her mom to see him at the Ryman.

Speaking of which, the Ryman - "the Mother Church of Country Music" - is an amazing venue. If you ever get a chance to see a show there, do it!
Newt

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#468 Post by raydrz »

not sure who i'll see but next stop will be MILWAUKEE SUMMERFEST
JOHN PETIK

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#469 Post by Scooke123 »

My Son's band is playing at Summerfest - they were there last year and are returning this year. Playing on 3 different days, not sure which.
Steve Cooke

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#470 Post by raydrz »

Scooke123 wrote:My Son's band is playing at Summerfest - they were there last year and are returning this year. Playing on 3 different days, not sure which.
what's their name? genre of music?
JOHN PETIK

gothiken
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Knight of the Round Bench

#471 Post by gothiken »

goin to see The Cure at MSG in NYC on june 18

Kenny

http://www.jerseyfestfair.com

Kenny Caruso

check us out on Facebook at The Modelers Lair.......

I Am Legend.

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#472 Post by raydrz »

raydrz wrote:not sure who i'll see but next stop will be MILWAUKEE SUMMERFEST
incredibly underwhelming schedule...only one day seems worthwhile... Tues 7/5 @ BMO stage 8PM No Quarter (zep tribute) then 945PM HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES...

aside from Sir Paul but homie don't play dat MARCUS AMPHITHEATER game...
JOHN PETIK

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#473 Post by Scooke123 »

raydrz wrote:
Scooke123 wrote:My Son's band is playing at Summerfest - they were there last year and are returning this year. Playing on 3 different days, not sure which.
His band's name is "The Ol' One Two" Its a three piece - my Son plays drums. Its kind of a rockabilly, blues and rock type music. Nothing very heavy but all their stuff is original.
Steve Cooke

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#474 Post by raydrz »

Scooke123 wrote:
raydrz wrote:
His band's name is "The Ol' One Two" Its a three piece - my Son plays drums. Its kind of a rockabilly, blues and rock type music. Nothing very heavy but all their stuff is original.
i peeped their FB, but couldn't find them anywhere on the summerfest site...

:morning: ?????????
JOHN PETIK

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#475 Post by Scooke123 »

They aren't listed on the Summerfest site- didn't get any pr info to them in time - not sure when they play. I'll find out and let you know.
Steve Cooke

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#476 Post by raydrz »

Scooke123 wrote:They aren't listed on the Summerfest site- didn't get any pr info to them in time - not sure when they play. I'll find out and let you know.
:!:
JOHN PETIK

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#477 Post by tay666 »

Notophthalmus wrote:I'm vaguely embarrassed to admit this, but I'm pretty excited to see Heart, Joan Jett, and Cheap Trick in a few months.
Why would you be embarrassed?
That's 3 big names there.
Sure, they've been around forever, doesn't mean that they won't put on a good performance.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#478 Post by Scooke123 »

I've got tickets to that show - really looking forward to it myself. Not often you get 3 really good bands on one bill.
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#479 Post by Scooke123 »

I have a bunch of shows I'm going to this summer:
Joe Walsh & Bad Company June 18
Sammy Hagar July 3
Heart, Joan Jett & Cheap Trick July 16
Shinedown & Halestorm July 23 (Yayyy!!!! Finally getting to see Halestorm!)
El Monstero Aug 6
KISS Aug 17

Wanted Paul McCartney tickets but sold out right away - if I can score some tickets at a reasonable price I may still go see him.
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#480 Post by Scooke123 »

I saw Cheap Trick, Joan Jett, and Heart last Saturday night. Cheap Trick opened and did a good set - exactly what I expected from them. Joan Jett came on and tore the place up - she rocked hard her whole set. Only problem was she only got an hour. heart came on and was a major disappointment! Whoever was mixing their show did a poor job, Ann Wilson's vocals were drowned out to the point you couldn't understand what she was singing. When you come to see heart you are wanting to hear her vocals - that's what makes the band so great. Nancy Wilson's guitar playing was right on and she was great - The couple songs she sang you could actually hear her vocals better. The rest of the band was just average. They only played an hour and 10 minutes, didn't do many of their hits. They did a few off there new album which ate into more of the set time. I would have rather had Joan Jett be the headliner, at least you would have felt you got more of your money's worth. I under stand you were getting 3 fairly popular bands on 1 bill but The headliner should at least give you an hour and a half. Only good thing I am finally going to see Halestorm this coming Saturday!!!! Got pretty good seats - they are opening for Shinedown. Let you know how they did - I'm sure I won't be disappointed!
Steve Cooke