What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

What song caught your attention today?

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Re: What song caught your attention today?

#2421 Post by tay666 »

New video from Electric Callboy
Tekkno Train https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFlhlZbeKgE

I like it, but for some reason it just doesn't grab me, except the 'choo choo' part.
Maybe because, to me, it sounds a lot like Hypa Hypa.
Same structure and sound.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#2422 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:New video from Electric Callboy
Tekkno Train https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFlhlZbeKgE

I like it, but for some reason it just doesn't grab me, except the 'choo choo' part.
Maybe because, to me, it sounds a lot like Hypa Hypa.
Same structure and sound.
Yeah - so funny - I actually spotted this & listened to it just over an hour ago . . . I was going to post but ma wee bud Trev beat me to it :)

Didn't pick up the connection/similarity YOU did, but if I hadn't been as into the guys as I already am, I'll admit I probably wouldn't have given it much attention.

As it is though, it's another respectable track off the album (I have the yellow splatter vinyl re-release with the extra live tracks on order which will be shipped in a couple of weeks).

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#2423 Post by bucketfoot-al »

I know you dudes are into *Metal* around here, but I'm gonna chime in with my favorite group (Elton John isn't a "group" so he doesn't count otherwise he'd be just a tiny bit higher in my rock rankings) ...

Did you know that your *Metal* .... STUFF ... :mrgreen: might not have ever happened without the group linked below?

Its a group that existed between 1969 and 1974 (though they reformed for some "legacy tours" since 2009, though no new music) ... they are (this is SERIOUS now) the most influential rock group that nobody ever heard of ... hell, did you know that Queen was their opening act in 1974? Yeah. In that short time frame they went from hard 60s rock into the HEAVIEST of HEAVY METAL there ever was BEFORE such a genre existed.

Yeah, yeah, I hear you now - you think I'm joking, huh? Take a listen to some of their mid-career albums from 1970-72 - google the song "Death May Be Your Santa Claus" and you'll have an epiphany :idea: (And remember - its from 1972!).

Anyway, continuing their story ... after David Bowie wrote and gave them "All The Young Dudes" - their first and only #1, I believe, they went GLAM (because, well, it was the early 1970s ... and the lead singer was Ian Hunter - one of the most satirically over-the-top outrageous lyricists of rock - EVER).

The band (of course) is "Mott The Hoople" and the song I am linking below - from a 1974 BBC TV broadcast is my personal favorite Glam Rock song ever - "The Golden Age of Rock and Roll". Once you finish re-affixing the top of your heads back on with some modeler's glue ... :wink: ... you metal heads would do well to pull up some of their albums - a band that burned bright like a falling meteor - for a short time, and influenced just about everybody else who came after them. (As an aside, "Death May Be Your Santa Claus" may not just be the first true "heavy metal" song ever, but - its *hands down* the BEST name for a rock song - EVER). :rolf:

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen ... "The Golden Age of Rock and Roll" ... :drool2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7q6tkVAuBc
Last edited by bucketfoot-al on March 4th, 2023, 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#2424 Post by bucketfoot-al »

And now, to wash all that glitter and glam from your METAL HEAD ear hairs ... I give you ...

"DEATH MAY BE YOUR SANTA CLAUS" :xmas: :xmas: :xmas: :evil2: :evil2: :evil2: :jam: :jam: :jam:

:drool2: :drool2: :drool2:

And don't forget to - as Ian Hunter always put it in Cockney accent - "Plaayy it Looudd" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amhy7LcAdGQ
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2425 Post by tay666 »

Really ?
:o
You think we aren't familiar with Mott The Hoople?

I believe Mott and UFO are the two most stated influences for the mighty Maiden. You think us Maiden-heads wouldn't know what the bands roots sound like?
8)

Seriously though. I have listened to a good bit of the Mott catalog over the years. Nothing against them, but it just doesn't grab me. I can see how they influenced Maiden and a few other bands I do like, but it's not for me. There are some that I like, but not enough to search them out to hear them again. And I do like Bruce's cover of All The Young Dudes.

(UFO on the other hand still get plenty of listens from me)

Edit : and now I am on a UFO listening binge.
So, thanks for that :thumb2:
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#2426 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:Really ? :o You think we aren't familiar with Mott The Hoople?
I believe Mott and UFO are the two most stated influences for the mighty Maiden. You think us Maiden-heads wouldn't know what the bands roots sound like? 8) . . .
I'm going to get my own back and let Vlad know that Texas is apparently known for it's oil :lol:

Oh - and to add to Trev's comment - you should look up who a certain Joe Elliot enjoyed as a youth :wink:

Only like a couple of their songs - was never that into the glam stuff much myself - and they always fell into the "Bowie" genre for me (didn't like Bowie much either).

Quite like MTH's "All the young dudes" and "Roll away the stone" though - but that's about it.

So - I can accept that some of the LATE 70's / early 80's UK rock bands liked MTH & Bowie, but as to the ORIGINATORS of metal, I can think of a fair few bands from earlier (and later) that started THAT particular can rolling down the highway and helped it gain speed :)

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#2427 Post by bucketfoot-al »

tay666 wrote:Really ?
:o
You think we aren't familiar with Mott The Hoople?

I believe Mott and UFO are the two most stated influences for the mighty Maiden. You think us Maiden-heads wouldn't know what the bands roots sound like?
8)

Seriously though. I have listened to a good bit of the Mott catalog over the years. Nothing against them, but it just doesn't grab me. I can see how they influenced Maiden and a few other bands I do like, but it's not for me. There are some that I like, but not enough to search them out to hear them again. And I do like Bruce's cover of All The Young Dudes.

(UFO on the other hand still get plenty of listens from me)

Edit : and now I am on a UFO listening binge.
So, thanks for that :thumb2:
Trev - You do know that ENTERTAINING is my other hobby? :wink: :mrgreen:

I try. I knew you guys (being of a "certain generation" like Moi) were almost certainly aware of MTH. But I was trying for some fun. From your reply I think it "went over". :D

Glad I spurred you to listen to something you wouldn't have otherwise. I was listening to some MTH for a bit too long this afternoon so I OD'd a bit :rolf: Just had to share the "rush" with SOMEONE!!! :hot: :jam: :beer:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#2428 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote:
tay666 wrote:Really ? :o You think we aren't familiar with Mott The Hoople?
I believe Mott and UFO are the two most stated influences for the mighty Maiden. You think us Maiden-heads wouldn't know what the bands roots sound like? 8) . . .
I'm going to get my own back and let Vlad know that Texas is apparently known for it's oil :lol:

:rolf: Nice one, centurion!!

Oh - and to add to Trev's comment - you should look up who a certain Joe Elliot enjoyed as a youth :wink:

:mrgreen: OK. I'll do it. Who is "Joe Elliot" (I honestly have no idea - I'm not a Metal Head) Spike: ](*,)

Only like a couple of their songs - was never that into the glam stuff much myself - and they always fell into the "Bowie" genre for me (didn't like Bowie much either).

I OTOH have always gravitated towards the most over-the-top perfomers/acts (Did I mention than my favorite singers are 1. Al Jolson "Mammy!" , 2. Elton John "Lalalalaaaa lalalalaaaa! :mrgreen: )

Quite like MTH's "All the young dudes" and "Roll away the stone" though - but that's about it.

Really? You don't like any of that 'proto-punk' stuff like 'Death May Be Your Santa Claus'? :shock:

So - I can accept that some of the LATE 70's / early 80's UK rock bands liked MTH & Bowie, but as to the ORIGINATORS of metal, I can think of a fair few bands from earlier (and later) that started THAT particular can rolling down the highway and helped it gain speed :)

Well let's be honest here ... I was TROLLING alright! Hate on me if you must - it was fun!!!...
:rolf:

As an aside, you guys have NO idea what its like to be tooling down a deserted desert HWY in New Mexico in a souped up Turbocharged Eagle Talon (with BIG 'winglets""" 8) ) at 120MPH, blasting "Golden Age of Rock and Roll" back-to-back with "Marionette" whilst screaming along at the top of one's lungs to Ian Hunter's lyrics ... ah, the days of my USAF youth ...
:roll:

See my comments/emojis inserted into your original post above. :popcorn:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike

#2429 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: . . . Oh - and to add to Trev's comment - you should look up who a certain Joe Elliot enjoyed as a youth :wink: . . .
  • bucketfoot-al wrote: . . . Who is "Joe Elliot" (I honestly have no idea - I'm not a Metal Head) . . .

The vocalist for Def Leppard - a quick bit of google-foo and that'll fill in the rest of the blanks for you. You'll be impressed with his opinion of MTH & Ian Hunter.

When bands/members talk about their inspirations/influences, it makes perfect sense that if there is a type/style of music you like as a youngster, and you want to be a musician (be it as a hobby/pastime or career), you would take your "likes" as a springboard and follow the same or similar path.

I certainly don't know of heavy rock/metal fans that ended up with a country music career :)

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#2430 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Heavy Metal Spike wrote: *SNIP*
I certainly don't know of heavy rock/metal fans that ended up with a country music career :)
:rolf:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Heavy Metal Spike

#2431 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

LMAO - our wee lass from "The Charismatic Voice" trying to analyse Lemmy's voice - SOOOOOOOO funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2432 Post by tay666 »

Already have it cued up, but right now I am in the middle of Daily Doug reacts to the rest of Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eETYgE5sexk

Then I have the new Leo video to check out.
Then I will watch Elizabeth.

She's been on a roll lately. Styx, Yes, Linkin Park, AC/DC, Disturbed, Baby Metal
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2433 Post by tay666 »

Anyone who enjoys the Charismatic Voice needs to check out the new video that dropped today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZsB8PKB_Fk

What an amazing take on things!
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2434 Post by tay666 »

tay666 wrote:Anyone who enjoys the Charismatic Voice needs to check out the new video that dropped today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZsB8PKB_Fk

What an amazing take on things!
No comment Spike?
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#2435 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:No comment Spike?
Sorry bud - been a tad busy/distracted the last few days.

I DID have a listen to bits of it as a result of your post, but only bits.

I appreciated the funnies (the video AND the comments - including YOURS :) ), but had to keep skipping forward on the vid because Megadeth and Dave Mustaine annoy me WAY too much - and I despise almost everything by them that I have ever been exposed to (including THIS track). Funny how Metallica fired him only for the net result being TWO bands that are considered metal mainstays that I (generally) cannot STAND :? :)

On the other hand, I really appreciated Elizabeth's vid she posted the day before that one:
        • Ghost - "Mary on a Cross" . . . LIVE version !

The emotion from that crowd/performance is palpable (the live version is much MUCH better than the studio version), and gives me chills every time I watch/listen, even though I've done so well over 30 times already! :oops:

The audience are in total adoration of the band - as am I !!! . . . and when they eventually come to BC, I'll sell my soul to see these folks live! (quite appropriate really :lol: ) . . . however, I'd much rather see them in the UK instead of one of the Vancouver cattle sheds / echo chambers.

• The original live performance :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmxFxBiCrL4 (* NB: watch to the VERY end! *)
          Those harmonies starting around the 3:28 mark are GORGEOUS. There is no doubt in my mind that Tobias Forge will go down in history as one of the best rock songwriters/performers of all time - and they are really only just STARTING!

Elizabeth's "analysis" :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FivfYSxIpg
          (she uses a familiar approach, but I'm now starting to suspect that she knows a lot more about bands/songs PRIOR to her reviews than she lets on :) :-k )

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2436 Post by tay666 »

I kind of thought you might have been avoiding the video because of Megadeth. I know your aversion.
Hence the prompt so you didn't miss the funnies.

tay666 wrote:Oooo!
Heard this on the radio on the way to work this morning.

Daughtry - Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) ft. Lzzy Hale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzEYQLANWgo
They dropped an actual video for the song now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9iXHAgjXhA
Not positive, but I think the vocals are a little more front and center in this video too. That or seeing them sing it just brings it into sharper focus.

That video caused me to see they actually performed it live :o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3QKXViWwZQ
Video looks great, but the sound is kind of crappy.

Sadly, after doing a bunch of digging around, so far there only seems to be one video with somewhat decent audio.
https://youtu.be/Tz30i1dlr3o?t=1818
It's a horrible angle and towards the end of a 30 minute video. But it will hold me over until something better turns up.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#2437 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

And to close off todays "let's post some pictures" session, this gem arrived last Thursday . . .

Includes ALL the tracks I love - either in studio or live format :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2438 Post by tay666 »

:like
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2439 Post by tay666 »

New song from the Warning!
It's just a live video of them performing it, but I really want to hear a studio version now.

More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3BgztDUVyA

Ian might even like this one. It's got a lot of groove and swagger.
Just wish the audio was a bit better quality.
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#2440 Post by tay666 »

Here's one I have been hearing on the radio for a few weeks now.
Finally looked up the video to share it. (I always forget by the time I get home)

Jack by Hardy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwtjL9UI4uQ
Trevor Ylisaari