What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Back to vinyl.

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

ausf
Seam Filler

Back to vinyl.

#1 Post by ausf »

My son expressed interest in vinyl, so I went in with him on a serious turntable, not the dusty old combo he pulled out of his Grandparents house.

I haven't heard an LP since I started buying up CDs in the 80s.

Holy Smokes. I knew there would be a difference between this and an MP3, 4 or whatever, I always pull that old man 'back in my day, you could hear the music, not this crap', but I was not prepared for how right I was.

We cracked a spanking new Zep I and even through a set of $100 speakers, it's a wall of sound.

My son's face lit up like he was hearing music for the first time. A real amp and 40 band EQ is yelling from the horizon for us.

I guess I know where my kit money is going to be heading for a while...
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

Re: Back to vinyl.

#2 Post by RockinResin »

WOW!! That’s fantastic! I’m a HUGE Rocker and have been on the fence about investing in a turntable and some classic albums. In the 70s and 80s my firiends and I all had cabinet systems with floor speakers that would blow you away. I’ve always found the vinyl to be warmer and richer in sound. The modern age of digital processing has robbed us of that old fashioned feel. It’s nice to be able to cram 10,000 songs on one device but sound will be sacrificed.

Aaaaahhhh, Classic Resin, Classic Rock, and “Good Friends And A Bottle Of Wine” (T. Nugent). Doesn’t get much better for me.

Thanks for reading
Enjoy the Zep,
Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#3 Post by ausf »

Thanks Sal.

Yeah, Everyone I knew had cabinets with pre amps, tuners, EQs and speakers the size of caskets with woofers you felt more than heard. Stacks and stacks of albums and for the park or playground, a billboard sized dual cassette boombox that ate D cells 12 at a time.

Even the Walkman had better sound than streaming MP4s these days. I remember crisp highs and deep bass through those foam covered headphones.

I told him to make a list of LPs for family to get him for Christmas and I must of done something right since it's deep in Zep, Sabbath, Floyd, Priest and Maiden.

I'm really regretting tossing all my stuff and switching to CDs back in the day. I drank the Kool Aid regarding DDD recording, but honestly, I'd take a 4 track recorded 'Black Sabbath' over any of them now.
Plausible deniability.

ausf
Seam Filler

#4 Post by ausf »

By the way, Black Sabbath on 180 gm vinyl was only $13.

I'm told my local Target has Animals on the shelf.

I think it's back to stay. I got an email last year from Bad Brains saying they were releasing stuff on vinyl, I thought it was cool but didn't really think twice, but I guess it's a movement.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#5 Post by RockinResin »

I hear ya. Those were the days!! But now they can be brought back. I believe that there is a trend towards vinyl now. Zeppelin is one of the best examples of the better sounding vinyl. John Bonham’s drumming is so much more enjoyable to listen to on vinyl. I find myself constantly playing with the EQ on ITunes to get the right sound. Maybe I’m a little more particular when it comes to sound.

I remember strolling into Bleecker Bob’s one day and Zeppelin II was playing. Man oh man how good it felt.

Not sure if your son likes The Who but all the Keith Moon LPs are super especially “Who’s Next” and “Tommy.” Someday I hope to take the plunge like you. The vinyl is becoming more and more accessible these days.

Rock On,
Sal
Last edited by RockinResin on March 12th, 2019, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by RockinResin »

“Animals” just happens to be my favorite Pink Floyd album and tour.

If you like Rush, try Hemispheres, 2112, or Moving Pictures.

Good lord, the list just goes on and on and on.

Paranoid, Master of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabatoge, Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, Zep 1-4, Wish You Were Here, Cream, Hendrix, The Doors, Boston, The Stones, Beatles etc, etc, etc

I’d be like a kid in a candy shop and it would be cheaper than collecting resin kits after you got the right system set up.

Enjoy the Rockin’ and Rollin’

Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#7 Post by ausf »

Zep II was the first album I ever had.

Bleecker Bobs and Tower, now you're bringing back memories.

I'm a bass player, so I'm paying close attention to the drums. And the same as you, I'd be fussing over the EQ with each change of album. Nothing like super crisp highs bringing out the cymbal tones as well as the chest thumping lows.

When we dropped the needle, my son's face lit up, but I kinda panicked at first because it I could get the ultra high range in. But after the speakers warmed a bit you could hear the fret noise, drum reverb and Bonham's kick bounce. It's just whet my whistle to get an amp and speakers, not the small monitor pair hooked up now.

In terms of a turntable, this one was rated best of 2017 under $300 and I got it for $200. Belt driven, aluminum platter, pre-amp, etc. Audio Technica is the brand.
Plausible deniability.

ausf
Seam Filler

#8 Post by ausf »

I have the full Sabbath Collection Disc set, but I'll probably be getting a bulk of it on vinyl eventually. I've been playing a bunch of Geezers lines on the upright recently, Planet Caravan, War Pigs, Electric Funeral, it's a good warmup and the tone fits.

There will be Rush, I saw every tour up to Grace Under Pressure.

I told him Wish you Were Here besides Animals as his first. The only tour I saw was the Wall. Ummagumma was big amongst my friends, but that was for other reasons...;)

And yes, he likes the Who, so I bet there will be a good amount of that as well.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#9 Post by RockinResin »

This is like going back in time and buying LPs for the first time again.

You should feel honored to have seen Rush for all those tours. I only saw them in ‘96 for Test For Echo. I only listen to Rush up to Moving Pictures now. You saw them in their glory years in my opinion.

All Ozzy Sabbath totally rocks! I only enjoyed Dio in his solo years from ‘83 on.

Funny thing with Floyd is that The Wall seems to be the average fans favorite. It is one of my least favorite of theirs but I would have definitely went to see them in 80-81 for the tour like you did. About two years ago I started listening to the early stuff (69-71). It’s actually pretty good. A bit or a lot psychedelic but good.

The sad part is that we will probably never see that stretch of music ever again. It was magical. It will always be “classic rock” and will NEVER die.

Rocks Off!
Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#10 Post by ausf »

I only saw Sabbath with Dio, the Black and Blue tour.

You brought up a memory I haven't had in a long time. I was hanging out in Washington Square with a few band mates and had on a dungaree jacket with Blizzard of Oz I painted on the back. Some guy comes running up to me yelling Ozzy's in the record store. I went in and sure enough, Ozzy, Randy Rhodes and Rudy Sarzo are hanging out. Ozzy loved the jacket and all three signed the back, Ozzy the only one on the painting itself. I can't remember for certain, but it must have been Bleecker Bobs.
Plausible deniability.

Todd P.
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#11 Post by Todd P. »

I have my collection of vinyl, several hundred records I collected from high school until about three years out of college. I STILL get angry when I remember the day I visited my regular music store in southwest Arizona -- first place I lived when I finished school -- and saw that the shelves had been stripped of vinyl and replaced with CDs. I didn't even own a CD player then. The market for vinyl didn't die, it was assassinated.

Unfortunately, these days I don't have a way to play it. My last turntable died a few years back. These days most of my music comes from Spotify, played on my tablet. Lots of songs I enjoy, but yeah, never all that satisfying to hear from that device.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#12 Post by RockinResin »

Met Ozzy and Randy together and got their autographs? That’s awesome. Randy was such a nice gentle guy but could make his guitar “scream”. Still got the jacket??

Rudy Sarzo has a great book called “Off The Rails” that pretty much documents the first two tours with Ozzy and Randy.

David Lee Roth got locked up in Washington Square Park in the late 80s for trying to score some weed. He was wearing a blue jogger outfit. Pretty funny.

Thanks,
Sal

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#13 Post by RockinResin »

Todd, you can make it all happen again with a new turntable and some fresh records. It’s all back! You just need the space. LOL.

Sal

ausf
Seam Filler

#14 Post by ausf »

Todd P. wrote:I have my collection of vinyl, several hundred records I collected from high school until about three years out of college. I STILL get angry when I remember the day I visited my regular music store in southwest Arizona -- first place I lived when I finished school -- and saw that the shelves had been stripped of vinyl and replaced with CDs. I didn't even own a CD player then. The market for vinyl didn't die, it was assassinated.

Unfortunately, these days I don't have a way to play it. My last turntable died a few years back. These days most of my music comes from Spotify, played on my tablet. Lots of songs I enjoy, but yeah, never all that satisfying to hear from that device.
I told my son, playing an album takes effort, it's not just clicking.

One thing that struck me was today was when I want to hear a song, I had to find the groove. It's been 30 years since I've had to do more than just choose a track. I remember my brother had a laser guided turntable, but for the life of me I could think of why until I tried to cue up Communication Breakdown.

Too bad my son didn't make this move a few weeks ago, I would have traded that sculpt for vinyl. 8)
Plausible deniability.

ausf
Seam Filler

#15 Post by ausf »

RockinResin wrote:Met Ozzy and Randy together and got their autographs? That’s awesome. Randy was such a nice gentle guy but could make his guitar “scream”. Still got the jacket??

Rudy Sarzo has a great book called “Off The Rails” that pretty much documents the first two tours with Ozzy and Randy.

David Lee Roth got locked up in Washington Square Park in the late 80s for trying to score some weed. He was wearing a blue jogger outfit. Pretty funny.

Thanks,
Sal
I was still in High School at the time and just assumed this is how it worked. Back then, you'd run into everybody, especially on 48th Street. I had a buddy who used to say 'Look at this F...ing Rockstar' whenever he saw a long haired musician. One time he blurts it out at Manny's, I look over and he's standing next to Paul Stanley with a big stupid grin on his face.

Rhodes was killed not too afterwards, but I never thought about it being collectible. He signed it big and clear right on the shoulder and I clear coated the hell out of it. I ended up giving to a girl. A very beautiful girl who loved Ozzy.

I used to go Mountain biking up at New Paltz, David Lee was there climbing all the time, but I never ran into him.
Plausible deniability.

ausf
Seam Filler

#16 Post by ausf »

By the way, Ozzy was completely incoherent. I couldn't figure out anything he was saying. My guitarist had a great conversation with Rhodes, I don't remember Rudy much, but I didn't really respect him as a player back then. As any teenager, I was probably an ass to people.
Plausible deniability.

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#17 Post by RockinResin »

Ozzy was always drunk or high as a kite. Now he is permanently incoherent. His eggs are totally fried.

Thanks,
Sal

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#18 Post by tay666 »

RockinResin wrote:This is like going back in time and buying LPs for the first time again.

You should feel honored to have seen Rush for all those tours. I only saw them in ‘96 for Test For Echo. I only listen to Rush up to Moving Pictures now. You saw them in their glory years in my opinion.
I go as far as Power Windows. That one has a lot of great tracks on it.
All Ozzy Sabbath totally rocks! I only enjoyed Dio in his solo years from ‘83 on.
Really? I love Mob Rules to no end, and Heaven And Hell really rocks for me too.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

RockinResin
Jack of all Trades

#19 Post by RockinResin »

Hey Trevor,

It’s not that I don’t like Dio with Sabbath but I don’t find myself listening to that era too often. I did in fact see Heaven And Hell at Radio City Music Hall. It was the show that they recorded for the DVD. It was spectacular! Dio had some “pipes”. I just tend to gravitate towards the Dio solo years when I want to hear Dio. Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell were certainly classics though.

I hear ya on Rush. In my opinion there really is no bad Rush album. Again, I seem to always gravitate to pre ‘82. I do like Power Windows along with Presto and Test For Echo. I’m big on 60’s and 70’s classic rock. In the 80’s and 90’s I find myself listening to more harder rock and metal like Ozzy, Maiden, Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Van Halen etc... not to mention that I am a huge fan of Alternative and Indie Rock and the Progressive Dream Theater.

Rock On,
Sal

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#20 Post by tay666 »

ausf wrote: I told him to make a list of LPs for family to get him for Christmas and I must of done something right since it's deep in Zep, Sabbath, Floyd, Priest and Maiden.
You are in luck with the Maiden. They never stopped releasing their stuff on vinyl.
Every new album has had that option in one form or another.
And just recently they re-released everything on 180 gram vinyl.
Though you might want to read some reviews and maybe try to find some audio samples to decide it you want the new vinyl or track down the old stuff. As the new vinyls were pressed from the the 2015 remasters. (at least everything from 1990 on up)
http://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-reissui ... ums-vinyl/
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths