What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

New Maiden Album coming Sept 3rd 2021 - Senjutsu

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: New Maiden Album coming Sept 3rd 2021 - Senjutsu

#101 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Europe finished for this tour - South America next - then they're coming your way Trev :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#102 Post by tay666 »

Yeah. Just a little over 2 months.

It's been over 10 years since I have seen them.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Heavy Metal Spike

#103 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:Yeah. Just a little over 2 months.

It's been over 10 years since I have seen them.
Who are you and why are you posting on my friend Trev's account ?!?!??!?!?!?!? :shock: :bshock:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#104 Post by tay666 »

In the last 10 years, there have only been two tours that came through, and my plans for both fell through.
I saw them in 2012 at the beginning of the Maiden England tour which carried on through 2014
I was supposed to go to Toronto in 2017 for the Book of Souls tour.
And Cincinnati in 2019 for the Legacy of the Beast tour.

It's not like they come around every year or two anymore.

Hell, it's been three and a half years since I have been to a show, thanks to covid.
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#105 Post by tay666 »

Oh, and I came here to impart a little knowledge that I just learned.
Apparently, Iron Maiden was the first metal video played on MTV 41 years ago.

https://loudwire.com/iron-maiden-introd ... bwT34dm2kA
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#106 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote: . . . It's not like they come around every year or two anymore.
Hell, it's been three and a half years since I have been to a show, thanks to covid.
Yeah - it sucks.

2½ years where the rest of the rock world suddenly found out what it's like to live in West Canada - AKA the black hole of decent concerts & venues :-x

Heavy Metal Spike

#107 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:Oh, and I came here to impart a little knowledge that I just learned.
Apparently, Iron Maiden was the first metal video played on MTV 41 years ago . . .
Did not know that! (would have guessed at it being KISS, Bon Jovi, Van Halen or another US band).

LMAO - loved this bit :arrow: " . . . The Paul Di'Anno-led group's self-titled clip for "Iron Maiden" was the 16th video played on MTV's opening day, sandwiched in between Rod Stewart's ballad "Sailing" and REO Speedwagon's megahit of the day "Keep on Loving You." . . . "

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#108 Post by tay666 »

Yeah, that gave me a bit of a grin as well.
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#109 Post by tay666 »

tay666 wrote:I'm going to try to not spoil i for myself.
Gonna try to make it until October without listening to any of the live tracks.
Well, I didn't quite make it until October.
A video for NOTB came across my FB feed.
I checked it out so I could adjust my expectations.
Going in blind, I have had no clue how the band sounds, how Bruce's voice has been doing, or any of it. I know a lot of people online have been complaining that his voice is shot, that he's lost it. I didn't put much stock in that, as I've been hearing that for around 10 years now, and I know they are full of crap.
But I figured it would be prudent to get some actual idea of what I will be in for, so I don't have too big a shock on the day of the show. I also figured NOTB would be pretty safe. They don't usually use a lot of props for that song, and I have heard it so many times from so many tours, that it wouldn't ruin anything, and would be a good guage.

Bruce sounded fine to me. Yeah, he doesn't have the range he once did. He also doesn't have quite as long of a sustain either, but he is 64.
He still hit the high notes, sang most of the lyrics (let the crowd do some chorus stuff), and most importantly, he still had his full stage presence.
The only thing missing was the running around we were spoiled with all those years. Got around fine, and did move a lot, just at a slower pace now.
Which also seemed to hold true for the rest of the band (except Janick). Even Steve was a lot more restrained than in years past.

I am getting stoked for the show in 24 more days!
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#110 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote: . . . Going in blind, I have had no clue how the band sounds, how Bruce's voice has been doing, or any of it. I know a lot of people online have been complaining that his voice is shot, that he's lost it . . . Bruce sounded fine to me. Yeah, he doesn't have the range he once did. He also doesn't have quite as long of a sustain either, but he is 64. He still hit the high notes, sang most of the lyrics (let the crowd do some chorus stuff), and most importantly, he still had his full stage presence . . .
They did the Rock in Rio 2022 show on Sat 2nd Sept, and BW&BK put up links to pro & fan-filmed stuff the following day :arrow: https://bravewords.com/news/iron-maiden ... -streaming

I didn't post it for 2 reasons:
  • 1) I remembered you were trying to avoid this stuff.
    2) Bruce's voice does sound a bit dodgy in places.
Hope everything is OK on the night for you (and him!)

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#111 Post by tay666 »

I am sure the night is going to be great.
I mean, it's been 3.5 years since my last concert, so at this point, as long as it isn't a dumpster fire, I should have fun :)
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#112 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote: . . . I am getting stoked for the show in 24 more days!
Hope it goes well tomorrow bud - safe trip there & back - and damn good fun during :hot: :jam: :jam: :jam:

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#113 Post by tay666 »

Thanks.
It should be a blast! Can't wait!
Trevor Ylisaari

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#114 Post by tay666 »

Had a great time, am finally home.
I enjoyed the setlist, the show was great, Bruce sounded awesome, had a great time being in the crowd, and had a great laugh watching Dave and Janick being dorks most of the night. The band seemed very loose and acted like they were having quite the good time up on stage.

Will post more tomorrow when I have more time to collect my thoughts.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#115 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#116 Post by tay666 »

Well, I still haven't completely collected my thoughts as I've been busy catching up on stuff, and I dealt with the other half of the trip. (On Saturday, we drove down to the southern Ohio ren faire and spent the day wandering and seeing friends. So I took care of all those pics and vids)

Hope to work on my actual review sometime this week. Especially since my daughter finally posted her vids so I could grab them. I didn't take my camera because it wasn't worth the bother. It sucks at low-light pics when things are moving.

Anyway, here are a few of the highlights. It was a sold out show, and the line to get in reflected that.
But that went pretty quick. Got our wristbands and checked out the floor. Stage was a bit taller than me so we both decided we were gonna hang back a bit to make it easier to see. We've both been up close for Maiden shows before so it wasn't a high priority.
Within Temptation was a good opener. They were interesting enough at first, by the end they were sounding kind of samey-same to me. The only thing I didn't like was their light show. They had a lot of really bright white lights that were aimed in everyones eyes.
You can kind of see it in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jPFr8lU_gI
My daughter only comes up to about my shoulder, so it didn't affect her like it did me :D
Also, they could have backed of on their volume like one notch. The whole set they were breaking up just a bit from the volume.
I used their set to check out the sound from various points on the floor. They even sounded good from the bathroom, which was just outside the checkpoint for the floor. Which was very convenient.

The lights went down and Doctor Doctor started playing. My daughter and I took off to post up where we wanted to. I went for the middle, turns out she was a bit more on the side. We found each other some time around the first encore.
Anyway, I started out about 15 feet in front of the soundboard. And I knew it was gonna be a good night. There were a couple of guys behind and to one side of me who were jamming and dancing to Doctor Doctor, and one of them was wearing a Trooper uniform :)
As the night went on, I kept slowly moving up as things would open up. The floor was not packed, and everyone was leaving room for people to have space, and good sight lines. Everyone was friendly and there to just have a good time. I was headbanging with, singing with, and high-fiving people all night long. Most seemed to be 30s and 40s, but there were a few in my age range.
The only annoyance of the night, was one guy who was having a really good time, and was really into it. He was jumping around, and occasionally running into people. It wasn't malicious, and he was so happy it was infectious. So we just put up with it, and enjoyed the extra atmosphere. :)
He was done about 2/3 through the set anyway, so I only had to deal with him for about 2 songs.
But yeah, it was a great crowd that just wanted to have a great time on a Friday night.

Like I said, it seemed like the band was having a blast on stage. Check out this video. Keep an eye on Dave and Janick over on the left, then Bruce during the solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ_wvXK4QMo
They were doing goofy things like that most of the night.

I was also so glad I went into this show spoiler free. No idea of the setlist, no seeing the cool stuff they did ahead of time. Like the end of that video. Or that they did two encores. The second time they left the stage, a bunch of people started to leave. My daughter and I just stood there. We know, until the lights come on, and Monty Python starts playing, the show isn't over.

The setlist.
Very slow in the beginning. 3 songs in a row from Senjutsu. Three that I like, and still it was kind of meh. They just aren't exciting, sing-along type songs. Writing on the Wall was the best of the three. And I think the band knew that. Why else would we get samurai Eddie early in the first song?
Don't get me wrong, I am glad I got to see them live. Especially since the stage set for those songs was awesome as well. But it was a far cry from the days when Maiden would open the show with a screamer that got people on their feet and into it from the get go.
The Revelations dropped and the place went wild!
Which reminds me, I need to compare some videos with the studio track. I am pretty sure they sped up some songs. Especially in the solo sections. No missing notes, but a higher tempo to get through it faster. Revelations was one, Hallowed was another, and I think maybe Fear of the Dark.
The rest of the setlist was a great mix.
Tilted towards Number and Piece. With one each from Iron Maiden, Powerslave, Fear, Xfactor, Virtual XI, and BNW.

A great time. My ears and throat suffered a bit, but that is just a sign of a good show.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#117 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote: . . . Within Temptation was a good opener . . . I used their set to check out the sound from various points on the floor. They even sounded good from the bathroom, which was just outside the checkpoint for the floor. Which was very convenient . . .
LMAO Image

tay666 wrote: . . . Everyone was friendly and there to just have a good time. I was headbanging with, singing with, and high-fiving people all night long . . .
I've only ever been at ONE gig (over a period of 44 years) where that was not the case - one obnoxious prat & I had a "deep meaningful discussion" about his attitude at one of the UK festivals :)

tay666 wrote: . . . The setlist. Very slow in the beginning. 3 songs in a row from Senjutsu. Three that I like, and still it was kind of meh. They just aren't exciting, sing-along type songs . . .
As you are aware - I friggin' ADORE that album, and the YouTube vids I've seen of the opening songs were great (with the exception of Bruce's voice).

I've seen Maiden SO MANY TIMES (more than I can count now without going back through the ticket stubs - but we're somewhere in the 20's) that I actually PREFER the new stuff - a bit of a change.

Having said that, if they end up coming to Vancouver (or better still a UK gig or somewhere in Europe while I'm over there) - THIS (pic below) will be on the "to-do" list :arrow: https://bravewords.com/news/iron-maiden ... eo-trailer
Thanks for taking the time to post this Trev - I know there's not that much activity round these here parts lately - but I truly appreciate it my friend! :beer: :thumb2:

• (* EDIT - have now watched your 2 linked vids - thanks to Britney for the 1st one (and all the others she uploaded!) - and LOL at the "antics" on the 2nd one *)

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#118 Post by tay666 »

Hey, I love sharing thoughts on shows. Even if there is little traffic to see it.
Posts here are a nice stream of consciousness telling of the night. Which is what I then use as the framework for my full review on my site.

Sounds like you have been lucky with the shows you have been to.
I've been to a bunch where people were more interested in trying to talk to their friends over the show, or too busy on their phone to even notice the show. Or worse when in seats and you have people constantly going back-and-forth for drinks and bathroom.
And then there are the shows I go to where people are there to get physical in the PIT, or where you are so packed in by the barrier that you can hardly move. But both of those are just a different kind of fun.

Like I said, the 3 they played were the 3 I liked best from the album, and I do love Writing on the Wall. They just don't feel good live.

And I had no issues with Bruce's voice. Sure, he doesn't sound as good as he did 20 years ago, but he still sounded great. I will say, his sound and tone are different on the Senjutsu songs than the classic tracks. I am pretty sure they were written that way to account for his current vocal state. A little more flat and breathy.

Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#119 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Love the photo . . . family time at rock concerts? . . . enjoy EVERY AVAILABLE opportunity!

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#120 Post by tay666 »

Oh I do.
Especially since she moving off to Denver Colorado in about 10 days.
Happy for her, not happy she is going to be so far away.
Trevor Ylisaari