What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Status Quo bassist Alan Lancaster passes aged 72

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Status Quo bassist Alan Lancaster passes aged 72

#1 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

I'm possibly the only person here who will post about this (we don't have that many active folks from the UK here nowadays). These guys were great in their heyday - early 70's to mid-80's (before their manager & Francis Rossi's "musical direction" took them off a cliff).

A unique band that wouldn't have sounded as good without Alan. It was never the same after he left (1985). Always the gentleman - calm, reliable, solid . . . and an extremely talented songwriter & bass player. I still have happy memories (and photos) of the time we met on their 1+9+8+2 tour in Birmingham.

He had been braving multiple sclerosis for YEARS, but still managed a couple of short reunion tours with the 3 other original members in 2013/2014 where he coped with the challenges his illness presented along with a s hitty attitude from Rossi that never really abated (that man has a heart of stone in so many ways).

RIP Alan - thank-you SOOOOOOOO much for the music and the memories - you were the backbone of this band, and provided a strong foundation for the UK rock scene to build on.

A genuinely wonderful human-being.

From a Twitter post by one of my namesakes - https://twitter.com/empiresend/status/1 ... 2009964557 . . .
    • "It's difficult to get across to those who weren't there at the time how important Status Quo were to us teenagers in the mid 70s.
      They rocked hard, they swung like no other, their M.O. was "Heads down, no nonsense, mindless boogie."
      Alan Lancaster 1949 - 2021. Rock In Peace."

From the Birmingham NEC gig on the 1+9+8+2 tour - I'm there in the middle of the front row - one of the best concert experiences of my entire life :arrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYk-6pvjghg

The cries of "Quo-oh-oh-ooooh-oh" starting at 3:09 brought tears to my eyes - man the feels . . . . . . (music is great for recall).

• [list][list]Image

[/list][/list]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image