What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Next concert on the calandar

This is a forum dedicated to the discussion of Recorded Music. Not related to any particular Genre.

There's only two kinds of Music... Good Music and Bad Music.....So drop a coin in the slot, put on your Blue Suede Shoes and c'mon in....

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Next concert on the calandar

#661 Post by Scooke123 »

OK! Finally a little time to review Alice Cooper and Halestorm.
Was great night weather-wise for an outdoor show - temperature in the 80's and no rain!!
Opening act was Motionless in White. I didn't know anything about this band going in. Look-wise they resembled wannabe Marilyn Mansons. We got there about halfway into their set. They did 8 songs total and got about 40 minutes of stage time. What I heard was good but nothing memorable for me.

Halestorm got a full hour of stage time doing 11 songs. Their setlist was:
1. Black Vultures, 2. Uncomfotable, 3. Apocalyptic, 4. Do Not Disturb, 5. Familiar Taste of Poison/Amen, 6. I Get Off, 7. Drum Solo, 8. Freak Like Me, 9. Love Bites (So Do I), 10. Here's To Us, 11. I Miss the Misery (w/extended outro).
Great energy onstage and Lzzy really was belting it out. For some reason they were really into it compared to the show they did indoors here last October.

On to Alice: Like I said it was a huge departure in the setlist from all the shows I've seen at least in the last 15 years or so. I good thing for a big AC fan like me but someone wanting to hear all the usual classics would have been disappointed. I heard some songs live I haven't heard in years and some I don't remember ever hearing. Most were from earlier deeper cuts in his catalog
His show lasted 1 1/2 hours with a completely new stage that looked like a castle/dungeon. Same band members as before.
Here's the setlist:
Intro before curtain drop - Years Ago & Nightmare Castle (recording)
1. Feed My Frankenstein, 2. No More Mr. Nice Guy, 3. Bed of Nails, 4. Raped and Freezin', 5. Fallen in Love, 6. Muscle of Love, 7. I'm Eighteen, 8. Billion Dollar Babies, 9. Poison, 10. Guitar Solo (Nita Strauss), 11. Roses on White lace, 12. My Stars, 13. Devil's Food (Band Jam), 14 Black Widow Jam (w/Black Juju Drum Solo), 15. Steven, 16 Dead Babies, 17. I Love the Dead (Band vocals only), 18. Escape, 19. Teenage Frankenstein,
Encore: 20. Under My Wheels, 21 School's Out (w/ part of Another Brick in the Wall, pt 2) - Lzzy Hale was onstage the whole song playing guitar & background vocals plus was introduced along with all the band.
All in all a great show. This was the first time both my daughters in law saw Alice and Halestorm. The one was blown away by Lzzy's voice and the other said it was the best concert she has seen to date.
Steve Cooke

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#662 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Scooke123 wrote: . . . This was the first time both my daughters in law saw Alice and Halestorm. The one was blown away by Lzzy's voice and the other said it was the best concert she has seen to date.
Meh - I can take it or leave it Image

Glad to hear it was a great night - cool setlists too.

In all honesty, I don't think I'll EVER get fed up with listening to Lzzy sing (or the band play for that matter!)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#663 Post by tay666 »

Scooke123 wrote:For some reason they were really into it compared to the show they did indoors here last October.
Could have been an off night for the band, could have been the crowd this time just amped them up.

As for that Cooper setlist, I don't think casual fans would have been too disappointed.
There are a lot of classics in there.
I would have been stoked to hear Devil's Food, Steven, Dead Babies, and Roses on White Lace.
I've only ever seen them each done once before. Some of which was way back in the 80's.
(as a matter of fact, checking my song statistics, I've only seen Welcome To My Nightmare done once before :o )

Sounds like an awesome evening.
Glad everyone had fun.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#664 Post by Scooke123 »

Dead babies was done with a baby doll that Alice took from the carriage. He laid it on the wall and was going to use a meat cleaver to chop it up. Was apprehended and sent to guillotine. Can you imagine the PC Squad in an uproar over that?

:shock: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#665 Post by Scooke123 »

AC did hit on the main classics in the set - there are just some songs you have to do.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#666 Post by tay666 »

Scooke123 wrote:AC did hit on the main classics in the set - there are just some songs you have to do.
Yeah, but I could really do without Poison.
I've always disliked that song, and it bothers me that out of all the great tunes he has done, that one was one of his most popular hits with the mass public.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#667 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:Yeah, but I could really do without Poison.
I've always disliked that song, and it bothers me that out of all the great tunes he has done, that one was one of his most popular hits with the mass public.

No surprise that's one of my faves (possibly THE fave) :lol:

Yours - Heavy "mass public" Spike :nuts:

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#668 Post by Scooke123 »

I can take or leave Poison - seems like it's always in the setlist.
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#669 Post by Scooke123 »

Going to see Slipknot with Volbeat tonight. My grandson is a big fan and my son (his uncle) got them tickets. He told me last night I got a ticket too. My son said I have to experience Slipknot.
Never seen Volbeat either - so looking forward to that.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#670 Post by tay666 »

I'm not much of a Slipknot fan. They have a few tunes I like, but otherwise not interested.
But man I am jealous about Volbeat. I've been wanting to see them for years!
Love lots of their stuff.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#671 Post by Scooke123 »

Volbeat was really good. They played great and was all I had hoped they would be. They got to play for a full hour so I was excited about that as well.
The 2 opening acts were Behemoth and Gojira - both hard core speed metal. They both got 35 minutes and 40 minutes . Could take or leave them both. My Son liked Behemoth - has been following them for years but that's the kind of music he likes.
Slipknot put on a great stage show - plenty of lights and pyro. They aren't really my cup of tea but I'm glad I got to experience them once. They played for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I do have to say the lead singer interacted with the crowd a lot and was very appreciative of the large crowd (16,000 +) and on a Sunday night as well. Nice turnout for Metal-heads!!
Glad I went - especially to finally see Volbeat - they've been on my to see list for a while. My Grandson's girlfriend liked them the best of the 4 groups too.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#672 Post by tay666 »

Glad to hear Volbeat didn't disappoint.

I'd much rather catch Slipknot's singer's other band. Stone Sour.
(in case you didn't know, Corry Taylor is the lead singer for both bands)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73-hmaHPHY

I think my current dream concert lineup would be Volbeat with Papa Roach and Halestorm.
I would pay some good money to see that lineup.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#673 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote: . . . I think my current dream concert lineup would be Volbeat with Papa Roach and Halestorm.
I would pay some good money to see that lineup.
I'll go for Scorpions headlining, Halestorm middle-ground and Blacktop Mojo opening :)
    • (* and I SUPPOSE I could be coerced into adding In This Moment between Halestorm & Blacktop Mojo :wink: *)
Four of my all-time fave vocalists on one bill - yeah - I'd take out a 2nd mortgage for that :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#674 Post by Scooke123 »

I didn't know Corry Taylor was in another band. Thanks for the link - I think I like that style better.
That would be a great lineup Trevor and your lineup (both of them) sound good too Ian. I'd drop serious money for any of those lineups!
Steve Cooke

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#675 Post by Scooke123 »

Going to KISS this Sunday night. I've got mixed feelings about this one. I was on the fence about going but my kids convinced me to go but only after they finally offered a cheaper lawn 4 pack. As a huge KISS fan (seen every tour since 1976) the way they are handling this Farewell Tour bothers me. The high ticket prices, VIP packages, etc. plus the fact that only the current lineup will be included kind of disrespects the core fans. They led up to the tour doing a lot of things with all the former members hinting as though everyone would be participating.
Come Tour announcement time and they are pretty much doing the same thing they have done for last 10 or so years. No former members - if they should show up at a show KISS said they would let them come up on stage. Ace I think actually thought he was going to be a member again - didn't happen!!
The rumors of Paul singing to vocal tracks makes me upset the most - not so much they are doing it but that they are not fessing up about it. I've seen and heard Paul's voice the last coupe tours and his voice is shot - everyone knows it. Just admit it is going to be a long tour and he needs a little help.
They brag they are going out on top of their game but my opinion is that they should have called it quits a few tours ago. The 2000 farewell tour should have ended it (I bought into it at the time - even helped cater 4 of the shows).

Well anyway, enough of my rant. I'll go and most likely have a great time especially with all my kids, wife and grandson there. Will be a little bittersweet though, at least for a diehard KISS fan. :jam: :jam: :jam: :jam:
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#676 Post by tay666 »

Scooke123 wrote:I've seen and heard Paul's voice the last coupe tours and his voice is shot - everyone knows it.
I saw them in 2016 and his voice was shot then.
They covered it by playing a lot of songs that were sung by other singers. But the ones Paul was the singer on, it was bad.

That is one of the reasons I passed on this tour. My wife was asking about going to see them before they retire. I said, I enjoyed the last show for the most part, and didn't want to taint that memory by seeing them perform badly on this tour.

I hope it's a good night for you though.
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike

#677 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

tay666 wrote:Tour dates announced https://ironmaiden.com/news/article/lotb-2019-dates (warning - at the bottom of that page are spoilers to a big chunk of the setlist) . . .
    • . . . Ian - you gonna hit the Vancouver show, or did see them on the other side of the pond ruin you? . . .
  • Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Yeah - saw this earlier today. Sounds like the setlist will be the one I saw in the UK (a few posts above this one).

I would have got tickets, but my life is not my own these days - and I have no idea if I'll be in Canada or the UK from week-to-week - so no point.

The memory of that gig in Birmingham is SO special though - so it's all good.

That October 4th Rio gig though - oh man :( :( :( :( :(
      • Heavy Metal Spike wrote:Forgot to mention - looks like I MAY be going after all.

Got bought a ticket for my Birthday by my best friend.

Still no idea if I'll be in the country to attend - but it's there if I am.

Have to be honest - not really looking forward to it - the sound at Rogers is abysmal - especially where the seats are. Plus I wanted the UK gig from last year to be my last time seeing them for a while - I'd still do that Rio gig though :)
                • Quoted from the Maiden thread.

Exactly 5 hours to go.

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

#678 Post by tay666 »

Well, I hope it turns out to be a great show, and somehow the sound is better than you are expecting.

I had to miss them again this tour :(
It's been 7 years since I have seen the boys live.
They need to come back to Cleveland.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#679 Post by Scooke123 »

Same thoughts here too. Hope it was a great show for you.
On a similar note I want to reflect a little on the KISS show last Sunday night. I'm glad I went - stage show was over the top and a great setlist. Vocals were what I expected but I really wasn't disappointed. I knew about Paul's backing vocals use and was a little put off about them using it. After seeing how it was used I'm glad they used them. The songs Paul would have been unable to sing sounded a lot better.
Had he sung those songs and butchered them would have saddened me. I was able to see the songs performed one more time and the experience was positive, at least for me. After seeing them on every tour in St. Louis since 1976 and being a huge fan for 43 years I knew what to expect.
Its not like they are retiring and going away - they said the tours were ending. The KISS Kruises and on-off festival appearances will still happen I imagine till either Gene or Paul pass on or get way too old.

I'm hoping next time Iron Maiden hits St. Louis I can go. Last 3 times I had something going on.
Steve Cooke

Heavy Metal Spike

#680 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Cheers guys - JUST walked in the door (resisted the temptation to go bar hopping 'cos I'm knackered!)

Sound was as I expected at level 3 - reverb off the ceiling and support girders so sounded like we were inside a kettle. I eff'in HATE Rogers Arena. Might be OK for hockey but it's crap for concerts - PARTICULARLY in the crows nest seats.

Was worthwhile going though as the lass who bought me the ticket (best friend and an ex-boss) had never seen them before and didn't know ANY of the songs.

She came away with fond memories of "The Clansman" and "Run To The Hills", along with an education about each songs background (I didn't charge for the guided tour).

I'll be sending her some YouTube links so she knows what the songs are supposed to sound like.

Setlist should be out tomorrow so I'll throw up some links once I've got some shut-eye.

Off to bed hoping the Wife doesn't complain I smell of that funny tobacco they smoke round here :roll: