What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Commiseration thread for those of us who are 'essential'.

Post and discuss "Off Topic" things here...

Moderator: Moderators

tay666
Site Admin
Resin Slayer

Commiseration thread for those of us who are 'essential'.

#1 Post by tay666 »

Thought I would start this thread so I don't derail the one where people are posting about all the kit building they are getting done while on leave from work.
I really am happy for all who can sit at home and enjoy our hobby.
I wish I could, but there is no sign of any slowdown at work.
Sadly, since we feed the HVAC industry, we are considered 'essential' in the eyes of the state of Ohio.
I'm actually working more hours now, than I was before the state shut things down.
Thanks in no small part to the lack of manpower at work. We have a bunch of people off for quarantine (as well as several who have been abusing FMLA for a good part of this year already). Meanwhile our orders are getting bigger, instead of smaller. :roll:
Our two departments have something like 29 people. Couple of days this week, we had 14 people off. It's getting ridiculous.
I've been so worn out by the time I get home, it's hard to get anything done.
Which partial explains why repairs on my car have been stalled. The weather doesn't help much. I would have taken it to the garage, but my usual mechanic is closed right now.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

kitbuilderman
Master of Masking

Re: Commiseration thread for those of us who are 'essential'

#2 Post by kitbuilderman »

Yes I'm right there with you working about 85 hours a week for the past 2 months and no letup in sight ,but I'm glad that my job is still good.
Bill Ray Bushnell

barad_dur
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by barad_dur »

Thank you guys for continuing to assist others with your essential and critical services.
I am lucky enough to be able to tele-work and continue to work.
I feel very sorry for those who do not have the option of continuing to work and have been laid off.

WOLFMAN66
Resin Slayer

#4 Post by WOLFMAN66 »

tay666 wrote:Thought I would start this thread so I don't derail the one where people are posting about all the kit building they are getting done while on leave from work.
I really am happy for all who can sit at home and enjoy our hobby.
I wish I could, but there is no sign of any slowdown at work.
Sadly, since we feed the HVAC industry, we are considered 'essential' in the eyes of the state of Ohio.
I'm actually working more hours now, than I was before the state shut things down.
Thanks in no small part to the lack of manpower at work. We have a bunch of people off for quarantine (as well as several who have been abusing FMLA for a good part of this year already). Meanwhile our orders are getting bigger, instead of smaller. :roll:
Our two departments have something like 29 people. Couple of days this week, we had 14 people off. It's getting ridiculous.
I've been so worn out by the time I get home, it's hard to get anything done.
Which partial explains why repairs on my car have been stalled. The weather doesn't help much. I would have taken it to the garage, but my usual mechanic is closed right now.
Trev,Im in the same boat as you when it comes to the word Essential.I work for the State of NJ and its nonstop around the clock disinfecting public buildings and schools ect :alcoholic: .I'll be glad when this virus is gone and things can get back to normal 8) .
Travelers to unknown regions would be well-advised to take along the family dog. He could just save you from entering the wrong gate.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Kaijumodelkit/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MonarchModelGroup/

Misellus
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#5 Post by Misellus »

I work for a government contractor. We make spare parts for the military so are 'essential.' Government buyers are still working so we're still getting a steady flow of new contracts. The government inspectors are another story and we're getting backed up on completed jobs going out because the inspector doesn't want to come out this week to give approval to ship. Bad news, unless we want to piss the guy off (which is a bad idea), we can't (officially) report this is the actual reason the parts are not being shipped on time. So we get dinged in the government system. We can request extensions based on COVID19 but it takes longer for those to be approved than to just wait for the inspector.

My job is essential to the company but boring. I've spent most of this week waiting for paperwork and fixing a computer that (I think) got hit by a power surge (or lightning). Since very little is going out, I could probably work half days and still get everything done. I don't want to use up my vacation so instead I'm helping in production or packing. Better than doing nothing. Sorry you guys are forced to work harder while I'm slacking. I'm the a*****e in the office asking for your TPS reports because I want something to do.

Only good news is the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend and I'm planning to hit the garage. I'll try to get a couple weeks worth of cleaning done to make up for not working last weekend.

Update from the other thread:
Owner finally came back after 3 weeks off. Shop foreman still refuses to come in and will not answer phone calls. Manufacturing manager took today off so he could go to his cabin at the lake. Sick machinist is still coming in sick but it's not COVID so it's okay.

Good luck everyone
m-
People Say Nothing Is Impossible, But I Do Nothing Every Day
-Theodor Rosyfelt

mentalmischief
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by mentalmischief »

I, too, am one of those 'essential' jobs that remains open. (Printing?) Not complaining too
much, as we're also quite busy, and it's nice to know I have a paycheck coming in. But
I was kind of hoping to sit at home and get caught up on some of the many, many projects
that I haven't been able to get to. Instead, I go home, fix dinner and fall asleep in front of
the TV. (Something I learned from my Dad.) Hahaha

For my fellow 'Essential-ists', I'm right there with you. Hell, I'd say we should all get together
and go have a drink....But THAT ain't happening for awhile. (They say that drinking and
social distancing don't mix, but I'm sure we'd find a way.) HAHA

For those staying at home, and keeping things safe -- Have fun. Build some kits.
And let me know if you're in need of a nameplate. (I'm still able to work that into my schedule.) lol

Mark
"One by one, the penguins steal my sanity."

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#7 Post by derekc62 »

I also fall into the 'essential' category.
I'm in my 34th year working as a reporter.
The last few years I've been off 'the road' reporting and have been behind a desk assigning other reporters and camera people (I work at a TV station).
As strange as it sounds, crisis coverage is what my career was made for.
Everyday I'm coordinating coverage for our local market (Montreal) and working with the national team to make sure we have accurate cross-country information.
These days, hardly anyone is permitted inside the station and it's been a chore to coordinate the staff while they stay in the field with limited resources.
And on top of this crisis, we're now approaching flood season....
Never a dull moment in my line...
Derek Conlon

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#8 Post by bucketfoot-al »

You said it, Trev. As a former military officer who knows what call to duty (and being deployed in a combat zone for a year) is like, I "flipped the switch" and have been working 12-14 hour days 7-days a week appraising homes since the declaration of emergency. :sniper: I figure I can give my 'maximum effort' to help keep the real estate/mortgage banking industry humming. (As an aside, interest rates have sure 'picked' one HEY of a time to drop to 4-year lows! :lol:)

Like you, I can (as of now) only dream about having even a half hour in my studio!!!! :buhg:

PS Here is my new civilian uniform:
Last edited by bucketfoot-al on April 3rd, 2020, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

derekc62
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#9 Post by derekc62 »

All that's missing is a speech bubble that reads, "Take me to your leader." :)

bucketfoot-al wrote:
PS Here is my new civilian uniform:
Derek Conlon

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#10 Post by bucketfoot-al »

derekc62 wrote:All that's missing is a speech bubble that reads, "Take me to your leader." :)

:rolf: :rolf: :rolf:

Thanks. I needed that laugh. :wink:
Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#11 Post by bucketfoot-al »

You know guys, this thread sort of reminds me of a Monty Python sketch I once saw .... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Bucketfoot-Al

-Davy Crockett

Tim Fortuna
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#12 Post by Tim Fortuna »

I'm a plumber here in Winnipeg and still working. Only new home builds, no service calls into peoples homes. Not what I would call essential but I guess there's money to be made. :roll: All our suppliers are open but leave our orders at the back door. Restaurants in our area were walk in only up to last week and now are either closed completely or you can only order from Skip The Dishes or UberEats. I don't have either so it really through a wrench in our "Fatty Fridays".
One of my teammates said he was working in a house and there were thirteen other people working. I would have ripped a strip off of the site supervisor but I wasn't there.

Made this for my teammates (that's one of our work vans):

I hope everyone is well and stay safe.
"There are several sacred things in this world that you don't ever mess with. One of them happens to be another man's fries..." Louis Fedders

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#13 Post by Zeiram »

Teachers are essential, but we’re working from home and embarking on the new adventure that is “distance learning.” Truly bizarre for those of us that teach hands on stuff. Had to scrap a quarter’s worth of planning and scramble to come up with stuff the kids could do from home. Hours are flexible and a bit shorter, so it could be a lot worse.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

centaur1
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#14 Post by centaur1 »

Accountant for a non essential business -down sized and I’m on “permanent lay-off.” Boom!! Income whoooosh, done.

Come on federal stimulus check!!!

Then come in unemployment!!

Stating the obvious, but we’ve never seen times like these. At least in my lifetime. It’s surreal. Rather scary to think what the economy, and job market, is going to be like in a few months

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#15 Post by kevtk135 »

I feel for you essential guys. I used to be one... but NYC retired me 7 years ago. Now I sit around feeling useless... :roll:
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com