What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

1/6 Velociraptor model kits/ figures- UPDATED 2-1-16

Focused on all the big critters. Dinosaurs and KAIJU!
With added discussion of creating dioramas, shadowboxes, vignettes and bases

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

creativebeast
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

1/6 Velociraptor model kits/ figures- UPDATED 2-1-16

#1 Post by creativebeast »

Hi All,

I know I've been absent for a while now- been plenty going on, but I didn't forget about the ol' Clubhouse. ;)

Some of you may have seen my recent announcement on Facebook, but for those that haven't... well one of the reasons I've been away is because I've been developing a plan to bring affordable, high-quality dinosaur action figures to the market. As some of you may be aware, in addition to Creative Beast Studio, I have been working in the toy industry since 2003 as a sculptor and a designer developing toys for various toy companies such as McFarlane Toys, Hasbro, and currently NECA. During this time, I have seen major advances in detail and articulation which have improved drastically over the years catering to an older, more demanding audience and thus creating a toy collector's market that has never been stronger. However, after all of this time there has been one particular genre of toys that has never quite 'evolved' to the higher standards of today's action figures- I am of course referring to prehistoric animals, most notably- DINOSAURS! although this idea has been brought up and reached various stages of development at each company I've worked, sooner or later the idea was shut down. I even got teh opportunity to work on some Jurassic Park dinosaur toys a while back, and... well lets just say it could have gone better. So for the past few months I have been planning my first attempt to correct this looming oversight in the toy industry.

That all being said, I have announced my first Kickstarter project- the Velociraptor 1/8th scale super articulated action figures! Here are the main details:

-The campaign will consist of 5 figures, the main one being velociraptor mongoliensis, the others will be closely related species with differing appearances (to be revealed soon)

-Each will be between 8”-9” in total length. This is meant to go with both your 6” as well as your 12” action figures.

-Each will have over 20 points of articulation- range of movement will based on how the animal could actually move

-The details of each species will be based on scientific findings with color schemes influenced by their environments

-Each will include a small base and clear posing rod

-Sculpting will begin very soon. Kickstarter campaign is planned for April of 2016.

I want to stress that these will be TOYS. Affordable, finished action figures that can be played with and posed as much as you want. This is in contrast to my existing poseable model kits which can be posed, but not necessarily played with and are a bit pricey.
For those of you who have been waiting for high-quality dinosaur action figures, this is your opportunity to help me make a difference. Please help me spread the word, whether it be social media, forums, in person with friends, or all of the above. Your support right now to get the word out there will go long way in helping the Kickstarter be a success when it goes live. It's not too early start now.

GOOD dinosaur figures are on the way. It is time for an evolution.
More updates will follow in the weeks to come.

To give an idea of what I'm going for

The parts breakdown

Five different species planned, but I don't want to give everything away at once ;)

Also of note- I have submitted my idea for entry into 'Project Side Project' for a chance $5,000 worth of project funding money and promotional tools. This would be a great help toward making the upcoming Kickstarter campaign a successful one. The idea with the most votes wins the prize.

Please check out the link below and if you feel my idea is worthy, please give me a vote and pass the link along to your friends. There are a lot of good ideas there so I could really use the support. Thanks!

http://littlebits.cc/…/the-ultimate-vel ... ctio…/vote
David Silva's photo.

I will be updating this thread from time to time. Feedback and questions are welcome and encouraged. In the meantime you can also follow my progress on my Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Creative ... 7525333128

Thank you all in advance for your time and support.
Last edited by creativebeast on February 1st, 2016, 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

ningoth4
Seam Filler

Re: 1/8 Velociraptor action figure Kickstarter announcement

#2 Post by ningoth4 »

Very kewl! I hope this goes well for you. I think it will be a hit with the action figure crowd. :)

Kevin

creativebeast
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#3 Post by creativebeast »

ningoth4 wrote:Very kewl! I hope this goes well for you. I think it will be a hit with the action figure crowd. :)

Kevin
Thanks Kevin!

I forgot to mention- this will also yield model kits of each raptor as well, which will end up being available well before the actual toys. ;)

creativebeast
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#4 Post by creativebeast »

The sculpting process has begun, so I wanted to add an update. I decided to change the scale from 1/8th to 1/6th, so the final versions will be around 10-12" long

These will be the main raptors

and a look at how the parts will be shared

Now I know a lot of you aren't into action figures- I get that. Well the best part is that each of these will be made into posed model kits (with bases) all utilizing the pieces sculpted for the action figures. The model kits WILL happen, it's the action figure part that will depend on funding.

All that being said, here's a look at the base main velociraptor body

And an early look at the feathers and teeth being added to the head.

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: 1/6 Velociraptor model kits/ figures- SCULPT PICS ADDED

#5 Post by kevtk135 »

Looks awesome!
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

Dr. Brad
Squire of the Sprue

#6 Post by Dr. Brad »

I agree with Kev. That looks great!

creativebeast
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#7 Post by creativebeast »

Thanks guys.
Here's a look at the current progress

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

#8 Post by kevtk135 »

Looks great!
Kev
~~~

turoksos
Seam Filler

#9 Post by turoksos »

Awesome!!!

mr tellitu
Glue Sniffer

#10 Post by mr tellitu »

Wooooow o love it mr silva.

creativebeast
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#11 Post by creativebeast »

thanks guys. :)

It's been a while so I wanted to update the progress on this project. Here's the current state of the sculpt. All of the articulation is set now for the action figure, but I will be making a fixed pose, seamless version as a resin kit as well.

And scaled with a 1/6 human figure:

Almost done now, but still need to do plenty of final detailing. I am planning to have the kit available early next year. More updates later. :D

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: 1/6 Velociraptor model kits/ figures- SCULPT PICS 11-25-

#12 Post by kevtk135 »

Awesome! And it looks so much cooler along side Steven Seagal... (kidding) :wink: :lol:
Kev
~~~

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#13 Post by bucketfoot-al »

kevtk135 wrote:Awesome! And it looks so much cooler along side Steven Seagal... (kidding) :wink: :lol:
Yes, and that looks like the Seagal 2.0 (300+ lbs) version!!! :lol:
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

Gazozou
Glue Sniffer

#14 Post by Gazozou »

This is REEEAAALLLYYY amazing, love the detailed work, and thanx for sharing your process...love it!!!!
Gazozou

creativebeast
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Seam Filler

#15 Post by creativebeast »

Hi guys-
The velociraptor action figure sculpt is now completed and has been handed off to be molded. Here are a few shots I took before sending it out:

And this is the full parts breakdown:

Once I get the castings back I can proceed to make the fixed model kit version (possibly two different poses).
Also, for those wanting to follow my progress on this, I have set up a page on my website dedicated to this project here: http://creative-beast.com/?page_id=578

Until next time. 8)

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Wizard of Washes

Re: 1/6 Velociraptor model kits/ figures- UPDATED 2-1-16

#16 Post by kevtk135 »

Simply outstanding David!
Kev
~~~