What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Toothbrush Sander How-To

Show off your in-progress builds! This is the place to post questions about building and painting your model kits and to share your latest techniques.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

FilmMkr
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

Toothbrush Sander How-To

#1 Post by FilmMkr »

Well, first of all, my stockbroker would like to thank all of you who purchased Oral B toothbrushes today! :D Seems that the toothbrush sander struck a chord with you guys, and Tom asked if I'd cross post it here and in the Sculpting forum for maximum exposure.

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, you can see the initial WIP thread HERE.

Before I get started, I'd like to say that this was not my original idea. I learned it by looking at the pictures in a Japanese figure magazine called Replicant. I can, however, say that I modified the construction technique to fit the resources I had at hand and also to fit my particular workflow.

For my homemade sander, I bought an Oral B rechargeable toothbrush at Target for about twelve bucks, and a package of two additional heads for about five bucks. This is what the finished sander looks like, along with a set of replacement heads that I am going to use in this How To.

You can use any kind of cheap electric toothbrush actually - you aren't limited to just Oral B! Just be sure that it is 1) inexpensive, and 2) rechargeable (batteries get expensive and defeat the whole purpose of point 1!)

To begin, take a pair of needlenose pliers and pull out all of the bristles on the toothbrush head. Note that the bristles are in clumps - slide your pliers in between a set of clumps, grasp firmly, and rotate the pliers around an axis perpendicular to the bristle stalk - don't pull or the nylon bristles will slide out and you'll say a bunch of dirty words.

For the pack rats among us (you know who you are!), you can save the bristle stalks for future use. When painted they could make clumps of grass for that badass diorama, or individually as eyelashes for your ultra-detailed figure kits!

The bristles are held in place with these little metal inserts, which are pushed down into the holes and can make the bristles very difficult to remove. The white ones come out fairly easily, the blue ones are moderately easy, and the turqoise ones are a b*tch! This will take a while, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't happen in five minutes. Note that you do NOT have to remove the inserts (unless you want to, of course!)

Eventually you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Cut out several discs of varying grits of sandpaper using a circle template sized to fit the round part of the toothbrush head. Since I use different grits, I label the discs so that I know what I'm using.

Stick one of the discs to a piece of foam tape (I use 3M foam tape for everything, including sticking parts to skewers and chopsticks for painting!) and cut around the circumference of the disc:

Peel the other side of the foam tape, apply to the toothbrush head, and voila! An instant, cheap, rechargeable sander!

As I mentioned in the Tannis WIP thread, the nice thing about this sander (as opposed to a Dremel, for example) is the low torque and vibration. In addition, the foam tape allows a LOT of flexibility and give when working complex surfaces. (Note the inverse seam along her leg in this shot. This required a lot of careful - and judicious - sanding so as not to ruin the contour of her shapely leg!)

Well, that's all, folks! I hope that you enjoyed this thread and hopefully you too will add Filmy's toothbrush sander to your modeling arsenal!

FM

raydrz
Gone but not Forgotten
Gone but not Forgotten
King of Kit Builders

#2 Post by raydrz »

an absolute work of genius...soon to be added to uncle john's repertoire...thanxxx for the informative & entertaining thread!
JOHN PETIK
"Christ promised the resurrection of the dead. I just thought he had something a little different in mind."
http://s1294.beta.photobucket.com/

Rusty Nail
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

#3 Post by Rusty Nail »

One of those, why didn't I think of thats. Great idea! :D

Roy Kirchoff
Seam Filler

#4 Post by Roy Kirchoff »

Now that's really nifty. Thanks for the great information FM! 8)

RK
Talk minus action equals zero.

Talon59
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by Talon59 »

After reading your WIP this morning I went out and bought the toothbrush, two extra heads, and some foam tape at Wal-Mart this afternoon. When I got home I started pulling out the bristles on the brush heads and filling seams on a couple of kits with putty. I can't wait to try the brush.

One more tip: don't pull the bristles out of the brush heads while sitting under a ceiling fan. But, then again, the floor needed a good vacuuming!
Instructions? We don't need no stinking instructions!

Chuck

hedorah59
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#6 Post by hedorah59 »

Very cool idea - Thanks for taking the time to post this, Filmy!
Kirk

Self proclaimed King of the 'Nice work' comment...

Nalissa2

#7 Post by Nalissa2 »

That's a great idea! Gosh the ideas you all come up with... :thumb:

Thanks for sharing.

-Susan

Liquid
Squire of the Sprue

#8 Post by Liquid »

Awesome! Thats a great idea! Pure genius! :D

I am a dork
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#9 Post by I am a dork »

Just a thought, try out a no name or better yet, go to the dollar store. I'm sure there has to be something in either one of those catagories that would make this more affordable. Therefore more money for kits.
Brian
"Being an oddity doesn't bother me, as long as I'm a thought provoking one." Joel Hodgson Mystery Science Theater 3000

My blog: http://somethingplasticthiswaycomes.blogspot.com/

Pun13
Clubhouse Alumni
Prince of Plastic

#10 Post by Pun13 »

Moving this here,, Marc thank you for taking the time
to write this up and post pics.

Big time thanks goes out to you.

Tom
Email
Pun13@yahoo.com

Brothers in Resin: Bringing you what YOU WANT!!!!

Gazozou
Glue Sniffer

Re: Toothbrush Sander How-To

#11 Post by Gazozou »

Haha, that's just wonderful, will do that today!!
Gazozou

espocavelli
Brush Jockey

#12 Post by espocavelli »

Brilliant.

Theeyecreature
Finger Painter

#13 Post by Theeyecreature »

Great idea. I imagine you could as sand under running water if you choose as well which is a great difference from a dremel.