What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Quick Built Kits for my History Classroom

All aspects of Historical and Fantasy Miniatures are under discussion: including creating diorama's and vignettes.

Moderators: Jim Bertges, Moderators

JohnNeill
Glue Sniffer

Quick Built Kits for my History Classroom

#1 Post by JohnNeill »

About ready to head back to teaching High School History this week. I was given a couple of 1/16 Figure Kits and built them for classroom display. 3D History and Art Stimulators for my students . . .

2 MiniArt 1/16 Spartan Hoplite Historic Figure Kit - one slightly modified to represent a non Spartan

Dragon’s 1/16 13th MOUNTAIN TROOP 'HANDSCHAR'

Ever wondered what to do with those excess Figures, Models, or Dioramas collecting dust and driving your spouse crazy? Consider donating them to your local High School History Teachers. They are often looking for display material for their classrooms. I have sculptures, a 1/25 Siege Tower, WWI & WWII Tank models, 1/48 & 1/32 Airplanes, 1/35 Vietnam Tunnel Rat Diorama, a No Mans Land Diorama, Monograms old Swift Boat, Cannons & Gatling Guns and others that I switch out throughout the school year . . . Stimulates the minds and have had a few young modelers start and some restart their modeling. Just Call and ask for the Social Science Dept Chair and have him email his teacher to see if they are interested - include a pic or two if possible (Heck I even got a commission job out of a donation)

Just a thought!

Neill
"Whether you travel the high country or the low valley, enter your house justified."

www.johnneill.com

lugnut
Clubhouse Alumni
Knight of the Round Bench

Re: Quick Built Kits for my History Classroom

#2 Post by lugnut »

Read this with interest, Neill. Can't think of a better way to illustrate history. You may also be recruiting some new modelers at the same time. 8)
-Bill Mayo

grimaldi
Squire of the Sprue

#3 Post by grimaldi »

Hey John....what a great idea...the examples shown look great....it is good to take cool ideas into the classroom to make the lessons more interesting.....I live in the UK and have a very interesting family history...my descendants are the Grimaldi family from Genoa. The Grimaldi's are a branch of the Sovereign House of Monaco, and descends from Obert, Prince of Monaco, Consul and Admiral of Genoa in 1197, who was sent by the Emporer Frederick Barbarossa on a mission to Philip II. of France and Richard I. of England to induce them to join him in the Third Crusade. His second son, Ingo Grimaldi, Lord of Carross, Aymer, Stella and Campastra, one of eight nobles governing Genoa in 1225, and who afterwards Ambassador to Pavia 1229, and to the King of Sicily....the line then follows through until my 7th Great Grandfather, Alessandro Maria Grimaldi, 6th Marquess Grimaldi of Genoa, exiled to London, England. He was born 1659 and was Commander of the Spanish party in Genoa, and, after its surrender to the French in 1685, was compelled by edict of Louis XIV. to leave the city within three days. He retired to London, England before 1699. The family was in Banking and married Dorcas Anderson, an English granddaughter of Sir Francis Anderson, member of parliament for Newcastle on Tyne....their first child and heir, my 6th Great Grandfather Alexander Grimaldi became father of my 5th Great Grandmother, born 1749, Esther Grimaldi... she married an English man and the name Grimaldi for me was gone...the most interesting thing for me personally, is that Esther's brother William Grimaldi, who became male heir of the junior branch of Grimaldi's, was a miniaturist portrait artist....he painted members of the Royal family and became a celebrated artist in the 1700 and 1800's. Many of his works can be googled. Sadly I do not yet own one of his works of art, but maybe one day...the other extremely interesting twist with my Grimaldi family branch, is that the current Grimaldi family sat on the throne in Monaco, historically, by rights, should not be there.....William's son and heir, Stacey Grimaldi became a solicitor and wrote many books, mainly of historical notoriety. In 1834 he published the 'Genealogy of the family of Grimaldi of Genoa and England' showing their relationship to the Grimaldie, Princes of Monaco, to which the following MS addition is made to the copy in the British Museum: " The principality of Monaco is now (1834) claimed from the reigning Prince of Monaco by the Marquess Luigi Grimaldi della Pietra, on the grounds that it is a male fief and ought not to have descended to heirs female, and this pedigree has been compiled to show at Genoa and Turin that the Grimaldi's of England are the eldest branch and have prior claims."....the upshot of it all is that Stacey was forced to retract his claim by the current branches of the Genoan families at that time...subsequent heirs attempted to overthrow the reigning Prince of Monaco and spent and lost vast amounts of money, losing the case each time....what could have been... :)

Hope that didn't bore you to death...I like to think that perhaps William Grimaldi's artistic talent might have rubbed off onto me a little....his father was artistic and William was also a student of his Uncle, Thomas Worlidge, another famous miniaturist artist. My avatar shows a self portrait of William Grimaldi at about 40 years of age. Now you can see why my Clubhouse name is Grimaldi. My actual name is Antony Halls.

Good luck with the classes. :)

Ant

grimaldi
Squire of the Sprue

#4 Post by grimaldi »

Hi...posted again straight away to apologise for calling you John....I took your first name from JohnNeill and then realised you signed your post with Neill.... :oops:

Ant

JohnNeill
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by JohnNeill »

grimaldi wrote:Hi...posted again straight away to apologise for calling you John....I took your first name from JohnNeill and then realised you signed your post with Neill.... :oops:

Ant
Not a problem ... John Neill is my name. I have signed Neill since early school days. old habits die hard. So John or Neill are both acceptable to me.

Neill from the Mac Neil's of Barra in the Hebrides of Scotland. My lineage is not nearly as impressive as your own. My Clan harken back to the Irish King Niall of the Nine hostages. Between then and 1700 many a war, Raid, Viking, Revier and other have filter through the islands. My Ancestors left Barra in the 1700s and moved to Port Glasgow, east of Glasgow. From there my Great Grandfather moved to the USA. Most of the family settle in Iowa and farmed. Moving to California in the 1950's, where I was born.

Would love to see some of your work. Please post pictures or a link

Neil

or John
"Whether you travel the high country or the low valley, enter your house justified."

www.johnneill.com

Mark M
Site Admin
Wizard of Washes

#6 Post by Mark M »

Outstanding work on not only the painting but the bases / groundwork as well. You students should get a kick out of seeing these... 8)