What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Jessica Jones/Jewel Bust/Statue Duo and a Jubilee Shiar Bust

Customizing Action Figures, Dolls, Die Cast Vehicles and Other Toys. Also repainting, customizing and collecting Pre-Painted Statues.

Moderator: Moderators

UnicornPegasus
Brush Jockey

Jessica Jones/Jewel Bust/Statue Duo and a Jubilee Shiar Bust

#1 Post by UnicornPegasus »

Ok, here's my latest three customs. There's some new techniques, tools, and product trials here, all did not work out very well, and much of it was a learning experience, as always, for me. But here's the outcome for each:

1.) Jubilee in her Shiar/Blue and Gold uniform. She's made from a Women of the DC Universe Jade bust. I had to keep the base in the green and blue range because the prior paint had stained it really badly green, and I wanted to try and keep some of the translucency in the resin. I tried out the automotive clear adhesion promoter/"primer" that VinceVell suggested for this one. I'm still getting a hang of the transparent paints and airbrush, so I think the layers ended up a little heavier and more opaque than I had intended. But I don't hate it. If I could do it over though, I'd make the uniform be only paint for the colored sections instead of using aves to build it up, I lost a lot of the anatomical details when I added it. It's not terrible though. I wish I had done the earrings differently as well, they didn't turn the way I'd have liked. Overall, I'm happy with her though, and she's one more Jubilee iteration added to my shelf. It's getting crowded in there!

2.) Jessica Jones - Jewel bust. She's made from a Women of the DC Universe Wondergirl/Donna Troy bust. This one I'm actually pretty happy with, minus the darkness of the blue/green paint for her sash and gloves. This pink paint is also a major pain in the @ss to work with, so I'm kind of hoping I'm done using that one, and I'll be looking for another brand with a similar color to use in future. I tried the silly putty masking technique and I don't think I used it correctly on this one, but I salvaged it.

3.) Jessica Jones - Jewel statue. She's made from a Femme Fatales Invincible's Atom Eve statue. Ok. Sigh. This one is a mess. It's my first customization of a PVC Statue, and it shows in almost every facet. I made a mess of it from the very get go. I made the grievous error of trying to strip the paint with acetone, like the resin pieces I had done already. That nearly caused me an aneurism as it started to melt. So, yeah, learned my lesson there. I also then tried Tamiya putty on this one for the first time, which was awful to work with. I didn't realize it would dry almost instantly, nor that it would destroy a silicone brush/colour shaper. It also didn't fill the lines on her costume quite like I had hoped, but it looked like it had in the sanding stage, so it wasn't until I started painted that I realized they were still heavily visible. The base melted more than a bit as well, so I had to try and salvage it and used some tumbled glass shards to make it look more "explody" but I'm not loving the effect. Her face. The eyes are on the third try at least. I just didn't get small enough brushes, then had problems with the paint being too thin once I did have approiratly sized ones, it was just not working at all. It's not terrible I suppose, but all I see are the flaws. I'll do better next time, but my husband likes it, and that's what counts since it was a present for him.

Edit, I forgot in my panic riddled haste to clean the solvent off of her before she was a lump of melted good I broke her arm off as well and had to repair that. *sigh*

Last edited by UnicornPegasus on August 18th, 2016, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecollector80
Finger Painter

Re: Jessica Jones/Jewel Bust/Statue Duo and a Jubilee Shiar

#2 Post by thecollector80 »

I'm surprised you still had something to work with after the acetone incident. :D

UnicornPegasus
Brush Jockey

Re: Jessica Jones/Jewel Bust/Statue Duo and a Jubilee Shiar

#3 Post by UnicornPegasus »

thecollector80 wrote:I'm surprised you still had something to work with after the acetone incident. :D
Yeah, the panic set in quickly and I rinsed and rinsed as speedily as I could. In my haste I also managed to break her arm off too. It was not a very happy evening. I really showed my noob-ness.

I still can't find anything online about what solvent you can safely use to strip paint on PVC.