What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

WIP for Godzilla 2014

Focused on all the big critters. Dinosaurs and KAIJU!
With added discussion of creating dioramas, shadowboxes, vignettes and bases

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

WIP for Godzilla 2014

#1 Post by Jon LeGrand »

Here is a wip of the base I am making for my big Godzilla 2014 by Hector Arce. The base here is quite big. I have a lot to do on it still, but wanted to show it here to you guys to get your input.

http://legrandzilla.deviantart.com/art/ ... 1409053280
ALL YOUR KAIJU MODEL KITS ARE BELONG TO US!!
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Zephyr
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: WIP for Godzilla 2014

#2 Post by Zephyr »

Wow! Amazing base.
"I might disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Hall, in 'Friends of Voltaire'

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#3 Post by Jon LeGrand »

Zephyr wrote:Wow! Amazing base.
Thank you! I like it so far, haha :)
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by Jon LeGrand »

http://legrandzilla.deviantart.com/art/ ... 1409138387

Here I accented the road and paths with color and weeds.
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

plyometrics
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#5 Post by plyometrics »

Damn! That is looking good. I bet it is big too. Anyway to futz with the shades on the shrubs and such? Maybe some light airbrush and drybush combos? I have tried it and at this scale it is very delicate! Maybe experiment on some loose pieces first to see if it is worth the trouble?

Robert T.
Diorama of miracles, the eternal work in progress! http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii5 ... 20diorama/

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#6 Post by Jon LeGrand »

plyometrics wrote:Damn! That is looking good. I bet it is big too. Anyway to futz with the shades on the shrubs and such? Maybe some light airbrush and drybush combos? I have tried it and at this scale it is very delicate! Maybe experiment on some loose pieces first to see if it is worth the trouble?

Robert T.
Thanks Robert! Yeah I will see, it does need a bit of variation but paint doesnt work well, I may use some accent powders.
Here is some smaller rocks and a fallen tree added, the rocks need to be darkened with some washes.

http://legrandzilla.deviantart.com/art/ ... -479378611
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#7 Post by Frank-Holger »

I would do detail painting using pin washings and add little touches with layerings of acrylic paints. Using a 0 or 00 brush you can add the finest layerings with acrylic paint diluted to the consisty of milk. The rocks could be treated with pigments. In my eyes, drybrushing isn´t the way to go because of the look of it. The dio looks fantastic and is highly detailed. Do you plan to add some "ocean effects" at the cliff?

Frank

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Jon LeGrand »

Frank-Holger wrote:I would do detail painting using pin washings and add little touches with layerings of acrylic paints. Using a 0 or 00 brush you can add the finest layerings with acrylic paint diluted to the consisty of milk. The rocks could be treated with pigments. In my eyes, drybrushing isn´t the way to go because of the look of it. The dio looks fantastic and is highly detailed. Do you plan to add some "ocean effects" at the cliff?

Frank
Great ideas! You mean have the ocean reflect on the rock? I would have to see some photos of that, it would need to be done perfectly to be natural, none of the refs I have show that..but I will look!
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#9 Post by Frank-Holger »

With "ocean effects" I meant if you plan to add some sculpted waves breaking at the cliffs or some ocean water. I know it is a bit difficult to do, but would look great. There are many good water solutions, mostly from Vallejo, but they are a bit hard to handle. I might to remember seeing such stuff in Godzilla dios in HOBBY JAPAN.

Frank :D

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#10 Post by Jon LeGrand »

Frank-Holger wrote:With "ocean effects" I meant if you plan to add some sculpted waves breaking at the cliffs or some ocean water. I know it is a bit difficult to do, but would look great. There are many good water solutions, mostly from Vallejo, but they are a bit hard to handle. I might to remember seeing such stuff in Godzilla dios in HOBBY JAPAN.

Oh yeah, I do plan on making the waves hitting the rocks and such. Still the idea of painting on the rocks the reflection of the water is intriguing. Can you describe Pin Washing more? I am not familiar with that term..
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by Frank-Holger »

Sure Jon :D ! It is a technique mostly used by military modelers on models with heavy surface details. With a "pin wash" you can accentuate every little detail with deluted acrylic- or oil paint and a fine or very fine brush (depends on the scale of your kit). Pinwashings enhance the visibility of the surface and have to be not overdone. You left the diluted paint flowing around or in the detail you want to stand out. It is a painting style which will be combined with all those other weathering techniques. Due to the fact that drybrushing is a relative easy way to have details stand out, it is these days no more used by military modelers who want to take action in competitions because no judge will "accept" it. Sounds hard, but so it goes. But to use it very subtle as a special effect here and there, there is no need to get rid of it.

You can combine the pin wash with filters, modulation, using all those pigments and stuff like that. But I guess, it is more important how it looks, not the way you can achieve this. I do most highlighting effects only with multipile layerings of acrylic paints. By the way, expensive pigments are, substantly seen, no other things like the good old pastell chalk powder... :twisted: !

Sculpted waves, semi transparent or blue-green diluted water solution to do them would look more than good on your dio, and maybe using gloss varnish and white oil paint for the wave´s top too! Keep us updated how you will go on!

Frank

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#12 Post by Jon LeGrand »

Frank-Holger wrote:Sure Jon :D ! It is a technique mostly used by military modelers on models with heavy surface details. With a "pin wash" you can accentuate every little detail with deluted acrylic- or oil paint and a fine or very fine brush (depends on the scale of your kit). Pinwashings enhance the visibility of the surface and have to be not overdone. You left the diluted paint flowing around or in the detail you want to stand out. It is a painting style which will be combined with all those other weathering techniques. Due to the fact that drybrushing is a relative easy way to have details stand out, it is these days no more used by military modelers who want to take action in competitions because no judge will "accept" it. Sounds hard, but so it goes. But to use it very subtle as a special effect here and there, there is no need to get rid of it.

You can combine the pin wash with filters, modulation, using all those pigments and stuff like that. But I guess, it is more important how it looks, not the way you can achieve this. I do most highlighting effects only with multipile layerings of acrylic paints. By the way, expensive pigments are, substantly seen, no other things like the good old pastell chalk powder... :twisted: !

Sculpted waves, semi transparent or blue-green diluted water solution to do them would look more than good on your dio, and maybe using gloss varnish and white oil paint for the wave´s top too! Keep us updated how you will go on!

Frank
Thanks for the info Frank! I will!
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#13 Post by Jon LeGrand »

http://legrandzilla.deviantart.com/art/ ... 1409874441

Added some trees that Godzilla squashed :)
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Mark M
Site Admin
Wizard of Washes

#14 Post by Mark M »

Wow... That is some really killer work on that base. Creative and well executed... :thumb: :thumb:

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#15 Post by Jon LeGrand »

Mark M wrote:Wow... That is some really killer work on that base. Creative and well executed... :thumb: :thumb:
Thank you!
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#16 Post by timetraveler »

Drybrushing is no longer acceptable in competitive (IPMS?) modeling? Yipes!!! :shock:

Would such a standard apply to GK type subjects? It sure would be tough to paint a Godzilla without using drybrushing. :cry:

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#17 Post by Jon LeGrand »

timetraveler wrote:Drybrushing is no longer acceptable in competitive (IPMS?) modeling? Yipes!!! :shock:

Would such a standard apply to GK type subjects? It sure would be tough to paint a Godzilla without using drybrushing. :cry:
I think that must not apply there, in the modeling tutorials at G-Fest, we teach people to dry brush. And I went to Wonderfest and G-fest this year, bringing 13 different pieces total, all used dry brushing. The 6 pieces I brought to Wonderfest got 2 golds and four silvers and I won the Killer Kaiju award. At G-Fest I got 7 first places and also won Best Diorama...
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

GEOFF MARTIN
Squire of the Sprue

#18 Post by GEOFF MARTIN »

:shock: ..That's just a whole different level..!!!! :D :bow:
"ROMANES EUNT DOMUS"?
Grail list..
McVey- MINOTAUR (BUST)
Janus - Pierce/Karloff (yes,that one!)

Jon LeGrand
Bishop of Build Ups

#19 Post by Jon LeGrand »

GEOFF MARTIN wrote::shock: ..That's just a whole different level..!!!! :D :bow:
Thanks! Here is another update:
http://legrandzilla.deviantart.com/art/ ... -480627013
Thanks, Jon LeGrand

Frank-Holger
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#20 Post by Frank-Holger »

I remember when I started modeling more intensive the works of Francois Verlinden were, for me, the way to go. He did incredible jobs with his more than delicate drybrush technique on those military kits from Tamiya, Italeri or the figures of this period of time. But time changes and in the 90ties acrylic paint comes up and with it new methods of painting. And faster than you can spell drybrushing, this technique becomes obsolet because the new bunch of painters painted their figures with the layering methods, feathering, the overhead lightning and stop sign rule styles were "the way to go". The new painters like Bill Horan, Raoul Latorre, Doug Cohen and many more made jobs never seen before. Mr Verlinden went out of business. Than the new Military Guys came up like Mig Jimenez or Adam Wilder and things get even more complicated in painting. The fact, that drybrushed kits have no more chance this days in military competitions speaks for itself.

I for myself see no reason not to use it for some special effects, but me too, I paint only using the layerings with acrylic paints. It is more fun in my eyes, and believe me: Even a Godzilla can painted this way. But whats more important: It is the fun it makes, anyway what style you use!