What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

The Phantom - The Ghost Who Walks

A place to show off your finished garage kits that don't fit in the other forums.

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

gmaiocco
Glue Sniffer

The Phantom - The Ghost Who Walks

#1 Post by gmaiocco »

ImageImageImage

This is my latest build, a 1:12 scale resin kit of Lee Faulks The Phantom - The Ghost Who Walks. It consisting of 12 pieces, designed by Dave Cockrum and distributed by Action Hobbies. It was build out of the box with a few additions: the gold cup and sword (from Spirit Halloween), an extra skull (from my “box of assorted skulls”) and extra foliage used to fill gaps between the plants from JTT Scenery Products. Red ribbon was added to the warning signpost to match the flags on the box art. The gun barrel was also drilled out.
The resin pieces were cast with a great deal of detail and there was very little seam work, with the exception of the arm and leg attachment areas on both figures. A rubber mold of the wolf’s fur was made to help in blending the front shoulder areas. All pieces were pinned and glued with 5-minute epoxy and seams were finished with Aves Apoxie Sculpt. Overall, it was a lot of fun to build and it is one of the better kits of this comic book action hero.
Greg Maiocco

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: The Phantom - The Ghost Who Walks

#2 Post by Scooke123 »

Well done! I've always liked this pose.
Steve Cooke

gmaiocco
Glue Sniffer

#3 Post by gmaiocco »

Thanks, Steve. I'm a big fan of the comic strip and grabbed this one at Wonderfest 2015. I think it tells a story, more so than the new re-issue that's coming out of the Phantom with a Bangalla tribesman. I did see one build when researching this one of the Phantom sitting on a stone temple chair, but have no idea of who distributes that kit.
Greg Maiocco

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#4 Post by billikenmonster »

You did a great job on this kit I should have grabbed this kit back in the day but it was small but a great pose. I have not seen a kit or statue of the phantom yet that I would buy I think him on hero with the pup would be cool, I plan to pick up the repop and bash it out should be fun, anyway excellent work on this rare kit

gmaiocco
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by gmaiocco »

If you're still interested in purchasing this kit contact Larry Johnson at action-hobbies@excite.com; he had at least one available at Wonderfest in June.
Greg Maiocco

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#6 Post by billikenmonster »

Great, I thought they were out of business I will reach out to him thank you

gmaiocco
Glue Sniffer

#7 Post by gmaiocco »

You're welcome. I spoke with him at Wonderfest and told him that I heard he wasn't in business anymore; he had heard the rumors as well but obviously he's still making and selling kits. He's a great guy to talk with and I'm sure he'll set you up with a Phantom.
Greg Maiocco

brucebishoputah
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#8 Post by brucebishoputah »

Several years ago I bought that kit from Action Hobbies as well as another Phantom kit with him on the horse and the wolf on a nice base with some ruins. back then I actually built more than one kit every several years, and both are on display in my basement. I really like them.

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#9 Post by billikenmonster »

Do you have a pic of that kit? What scale?

brucebishoputah
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#10 Post by brucebishoputah »

I don't have a way to post pics any more but maybe this will work. I only have 2 total pictures still left on the web and this happened to be one of the two. Scale is the same as the one with him standing in the first post.

http://photos.hobbytalk.com/showphoto.p ... r/118/sl/b

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#11 Post by billikenmonster »

Thank you for the link I don't remember seeing it before . I think the hobby could use a good 1/6 scale version of this kit now anyway thank you again.

brucebishoputah
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#12 Post by brucebishoputah »

You're welcome. Glad I had a pic left on the web. The face on this kit was off a bit, don't know if it was a problem with the mold or the original sculpt. I think I bought one or both at a point when he had a worn out mold that he kindly cast the kit from for me, but they really seemed to come out well anyway. I've been happy to have them on display. They are nice kits and I really am glad I built them. I don't actually build many, and go years in between. I'm happy I have my impossibly large to get built stash, but it bugs me I'm not even making an effort.

mjbare
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#13 Post by mjbare »

Hey Greg,

Just saw your kit in the IPMS Journal. Congrats on a great build! I too am a huge fan of Mr. Walker and have several kits of him myself. I was lucky to purchase two of mine from Action Hobbies about a decade or more ago. Great guy. Since the chest is supposed to be part of the Phantom's Treasure, I hope one day to find two items to put in it like you did. One would be a cup made of a diamond which is Alexander the Great's Cup and Excalibur. Hope you don't mind if I steal the ribbon addition you did.

Here are links to the kits I've done. First off is an original 1966 Revel kit of which Atlantis just repopped:
http://s205.photobucket.com/user/mjbare ... sort=1&o=0

Here's the Action Hobbies kit of what was going to be an Aurora kit from Dave Cockrum:
http://s205.photobucket.com/user/mjbare ... sort=1&o=2

Here's the other one from Action Hobbies:
http://s205.photobucket.com/user/mjbare ... sort=1&o=3

And lastly, here's an old IDC kit of the 1944 serial starring Tom Tyler:
http://s205.photobucket.com/user/mjbare ... sort=1&o=1

I have but not built the 1/12 scale kit of The Phantom on his Skull Throne. It was released by Mojo Resin. There were two others released last year, one by Monsters in Motion and other by someone I can't remember. I saw them both on Buc Wheat's new kit list for 2016. On a fixed budget these days so it might be a bit before I purchase them.

Did you ever see the TV pilot for The Phantom done in the 1950's or early 1960's? Not too bad. Light years ahead of the mini-series that the SyFy Channel had on. God, that was so bad, just like their take on Flash Gordon. Oh well, I digress.

Michael
--------
"Tish! You spoke French! You know what that does to me!!!" Gomez Addams

KITS WANTED: Terry Reynold's The Purple Monster Strikes. Marvin the Paranoid Robot UK kit

gmaiocco
Glue Sniffer

#14 Post by gmaiocco »

Thanks, Michael.

The cup and sword came with the kit. The extra skull I had and was pleased to see that it matched the one that came with the kit. Feel free to use the ribbon addition, it's quick and easy to do. I glued mine on with superglue and tied it, then sprayed it liberally with Testors Dull Cote to get it to keep it's shape.

Thanks for sending the links to your builds, I enjoyed seeing them.

Greg
Greg Maiocco