What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Dap Plastic Wood as Basing Material

Focused on all the big critters. Dinosaurs and KAIJU!
With added discussion of creating dioramas, shadowboxes, vignettes and bases

Moderators: tay666, Moderators

kevtk135
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

Dap Plastic Wood as Basing Material

#1 Post by kevtk135 »

Not liking the disk bases for minis I set out to make some sort of a vignette. Taking info from the name, the Mountain Giant should have some sort of mountains.

I dug into my collection of little bits of foam from shipping boxes I found the size I liked, and then cut more to fill in the space for the two hills I have planned. Gluing them with Woodland Scenics Foam Glue, I put everything in place. I realized I needed a smaller rise to offset the hills so I tore pieces off some sheet cork I had and added it to the center area.

Once dry I got out some Dap Plastic Wood that I had put away in a drawer to use as the groundwork.

First I started out just using my hands, but this stuff is very sticky, and it's best to use some spatula shaped tools. It also help to keep the tools wet.

From there things progressed very quickly. And you need to be quick. The Plastic Wood dries pretty fast. It was already starting to firm up in 5 minutes.

As you see in the pics as the putty dries it gets lighter in color. Once dried, it's easily sanded.
The Giant was moulded to be stepping off a boulder. To have come continuity I took some landscaping bark chips and made additional boulders. The bark chips make great rocks by painting them black and then subsequent lighter drybrusings of gray. I also painted the ground a dark brown.

From there is was just a matter of spreading some PVA glue around the base, and then with a static grass applicator, put the grass down. For realism, make sure to leave little bare spaces. It's the wilderness after all and not a lawn or golf course. ;)
In the pic the bare spot in the middle is where the Giant will be glued down. More glue and static grass around his feet will complete the base.
Kev
~~~

I used to never finish anyth

My little corner of the Net: http://www.kevtk.blogspot.com

Zeiram
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Earl of Epoxy

Re: Dap Plastic Wood as Basing Material

#2 Post by Zeiram »

Cool. Looks like you get the same kind of results with that as Durham's water putty - which might be a cheaper alternative.
The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

bucketfoot-al
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#3 Post by bucketfoot-al »

Bookmarked for future reference. I may need that stuff for some future builds. Looks good Kev!
Bucketfoot-Al
http://bucketfoot-al.tripod.com/DinoModels/

"You may all go to Hell. I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Yeah that can be used for making bases more realistic.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021