What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Wonderfest 2020 plus updates

Please post all Wonderfest-related threads here.

Moderator: Moderators

DoctorG
Bishop of Build Ups

Re: Wonderfest 2020 plus updates

#21 Post by DoctorG »

plyometrics wrote:Even if it does ease up a little by mid May (it may very welll not) and the show is not cancelled attendance could still turn out to be very low. Once people start canceling room reservations it might be time to pull the plug. Who knows? This is all unknown territory for all of us.

Robert T.
Yes, this is what I'm thinking. We know that a lot of attendees are either in the 60+ age category or have underlying health issues, so they'll probably opt to not attend. Then you have the contingent that relies on air travel to attend, so they may not go because of concerns around airport safety.

As much as I'd miss attending the show, it would be disastrous if the attendance was very low and the show didn't do well. This could be the start of a downhill slide for a show that we all love. Maybe it's better to opt out this year and put energy into making 2021 a phenomenal rebound show....
Dr. G.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#22 Post by Scooke123 »

You may be right. If attendance falls off and dealers that are there lose money some may fell its not worth it to come back.

It might be more beneficial to call this year a wash and concentrate on 2021 like you said. I'll be disappointed - the show is always a highlight of my year, but I'll survive. Just have to make some online purchases then to help out the dealers that will miss out on sales at the show.
Steve Cooke

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#23 Post by scuzzfink85 »

If a vaccine is used the virus may likely still linger for months.
In certain area's who's to say.
Nostalgia can be a bad thing, especially when you are led by it.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

Blind ignorance can not be solved or stopped for the problem at hand.
R.T 2021

Jesse321

#24 Post by Jesse321 »

Scooke123 wrote:You may be right. If attendance falls off and dealers that are there lose money some may fell its not worth it to come back.
I think that everyone involved regardless of the direction taken aren't going to judge this year very harshly even the circumstances. This situation has spiraled beyond anyones control, and just about every show all around the country has been either canceled or postponed.

Personally, I'm of the mind that it would be better to postpone the show until later in the year, like they did with the Derby, but who knows, this whole thing could turn around in a few weeks or a month or 2 ...stranger things have happened.

Right now everyone is in a holding pattern, until we see which way this thing is going go sort itself out.

Buc Wheat
Bishop of Build Ups

#25 Post by Buc Wheat »

I'm happy to see a holding period... can we at least see how April does
before we start cancelling summer dates?!

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#26 Post by Scooke123 »

True - at least waiting till the end of April still gives about a month's notice. I have a couple concerts in jeopardy in June plus baseball tickets in limbo.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#27 Post by tay666 »

Buc Wheat wrote:I'm happy to see a holding period... can we at least see how April does
before we start cancelling summer dates?!
:like
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#28 Post by tay666 »

Dave just posted this update

"Greetings to everyone. This is Dave Hodge with you once again. As promised when I had some news to give I would inform you as soon as possible. Also as promised I have been following the situation every day constantly assessing the various information cycles and trying to make the best call possible as to how to proceed. As we begin this first day of April it seems clear to me that the situation will probably not abate till mid May at the earliest. And that is probably being optimistic. Many of our attendees are people that have a high risk factor. I am among them so I am cognizant of how many are trying to weigh what to do. Your love of the show and your loyalty is one of the reasons we continue to do it after all this time. There’s no telling how long this will continue but I am going to try to make the best decision I can both for the show and it’s attendees. With the support of my staff the decision has been made to move the show dates to OCTOBER 23-25, 2020. I am in hopes that at that time things will have turned around to the point that we can have a safe and fun show. This date is still tentative as I have not signed the final papers but is our last and best option at this time. I expect to have all in hand within the next 48 hours. I am announcing this now so people can make decisions about how they wish to proceed. It will be a few days and we will get new hotel reservation numbers up with an explanation of how it will work. DEALERS today would’ve been the last day to cancel your tables with no penalty. That of course is no longer valid. You now have until SEPTEMBER 15 to make a decision as to whether you can handle the date change.  If it’s a problem for you, do not hesitate to let me know and we will get you taken care of to your satisfaction. As the situation remains fluid, things could change again. If that happens I will inform you the second any kind of new decision is made. I don’t believe in putting out speculation or information that I do not have or cannot act on because this is a moving phenomenon. If I know it, you will know it. I realize some people can’t help but speculate, some out of concern and love for the show, some for the opposite reasons. One last item for now. Some of our guests have already confirmed that they are hanging with us and will be there in October. I expect more will. Till my next message remember this. Above all Wonderfest has always been to me a family. Whatever decision you have to make do it with your safety and health in mind. I wish all of you the best during these very trying times. PLEASE take care of yourselves. I want to see your smiling faces again. Dave "
Trevor Ylisaari

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#29 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Thanks for the news Trev (and Dave).

A wise decision, and explained as clearly as is possible right now.

I hope NO-ONE organising OR originally planning on attending loses out financially, and that it can now take place at the rescheduled date.

Fingers crossed for everyone.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#30 Post by tay666 »

I hope things are close to normal by then.
If not, we really will have bigger problems
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#31 Post by Scooke123 »

How very true - I had a feeling it would get postponed. As you said if things aren't close to normal by October things could be bad. Everyone needs to be smart and stay safe!!! I want to see EVERYBODY at Wonderfest in the Fall if possible, if not next year!
Steve Cooke

ShaneM
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#32 Post by ShaneM »

That takes myself and Andreas out of the show.
Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.

If you want to see what i do for fun take a click, It may be disturbing.
http://vimeo.com/32512596

badkarmaproductions@gmail.com

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#33 Post by Scooke123 »

Same here - I checked the date in October and have other things going on that weekend. Guess I'll play it by ear when Oct. comes around. I think a lot of people are still going to be financially strapped from this. May slow down spending some - I hope I'm wrong.
This didn't bother me financially but I know lots of us out there are looking at trying times right now.
Steve Cooke

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#34 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Jersey Fest is in sept.. so I feel both shows will have smaller turn out.
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

R.T 2021

ShaneM
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#35 Post by ShaneM »

scuzzfink85 wrote:Jersey Fest is in sept.. so I feel both shows will have smaller turn out.
What the #$#$#$# do you care you don't make any effort to go to shows. Just stick to scrounging cheap sales on ebay.

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

#36 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

scuzzfink85 wrote:Jersey Fest is in sept.. so I feel both shows will have smaller turn out.
Logical conclusion.

The combination of date change + people losing income + people perhaps spending what they HAD put on 1 side for Wonderfest will likely affect 1 or both shows that way.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

scuzzfink85
Bishop of Build Ups

#37 Post by scuzzfink85 »

Spike is right.. and I'm afraid of flying Shane..
L.K . Marks 07.

My Kung Fu is the best..

R.T 2021

ShaneM
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Duke of Dry Brush

#38 Post by ShaneM »

scuzzfink85 wrote:Spike is right.. and I'm afraid of flying Shane..

Then drive there like most of us do.

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#39 Post by timetraveler »

The folks that put on Wonder Fest are very smart, capable, caring people. They love the hobby, but I have complete trust in them that they have the safety of attendees and staff as their foremost concern. They are trying their best to adapt to an extraordinarily challenging situation. Moving the show to October definitely gave me something farther off to look forward to during these grim times. I also have complete confidence that if the situation has not improved by then, further adjustments would be made. Somehow, someway, sometime, there will always be a Wonder Fest. Meanwhile, I will (when not committed to other matters) keep building models and turning to the Clubhouse for comraderie, knowledge and inspiration.

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#40 Post by Scooke123 »

Looks like I get to go to Wonderfest in October after all!! The concert I had that was rescheduled for that Saturday just got cancelled - already got my refund! Guess I have to get online and book my room again!
Steve Cooke