What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Tony W's 2019 Wonderfest Show Report

Please post all Wonderfest-related threads here.

Moderator: Moderators

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

Tony W's 2019 Wonderfest Show Report

#1 Post by AntMan »

Hi,

I've just completed my report on last year's Wonderfest Show Report. (It's only just over 7 months late).

You can view it here: http://scififantmodmadrealm.com/Wonderfest2019-1.html
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

Re: Tony W's 2019 Wonderfest Show Report

#2 Post by tay666 »

First of all, I totally understand long delays on reviews.
I still have some concert reviews that have been waiting years for me to finish :oops:

So many things I can relate to.
Traffic on 71 south of Columbus is always a crap-shoot.
If you catch it right, you can breeze right through, but if you don't, you can be stuck for hours in slooooooooooow traffic.

We have also started hitting Hometown Pizza when we get into Louisville.
It's close by, reasonably priced, and has decent food. Started going there when they closed the Bob Evens up the road from it. :(

Hitting the contest room, shortly after it opens can be an exercise in frustration for anyone wanting to get good looks and lots of photos.
I usually just make a quick pass through the room just to get a feel for what is there before heading up to my room for lunch. Then coming back later when things have thinned out a bit.

I admire your resolve to not buy more kits. You did really well with that.
I usually go to the show with a list of kits I want to pick up, as well as finding plenty more I want to add to my stash.
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#3 Post by Rocketeer »

Thanks, Tony; I always enjoy reading your trip reports!

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#4 Post by Scooke123 »

Great review as always! I finally started taking notes of my weekend the last 3 years. Amazing how much you forget over the years!
Steve Cooke

SteveG
Glue Sniffer

#5 Post by SteveG »

Thanks for taking the time to do the review, a thoroughly enjoyable read

overspray
Jack of all Trades

#6 Post by overspray »

I really enjoyed your review - very thorough and and great photos. Thanks for doing that.

Great idea to incorporate the Air Force Museum into your trip. Too bad they moved the Armor Museum from Ft. Knox, but I see the Patton Museum is there - that would be another great side trip from Wonderfest.

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#7 Post by tay666 »

Scooke123 wrote: Amazing how much you forget over the years!
I hear that.
I go back and read one of my reviews from years ago, and I can't believe how much stuff I forgot happened.

Also, they all kind of blur together, so without my reviews, I wouldn't know what happened which year.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Scooke123 »

How true! In fact you gave me the suggestion to start making notes and I finally started a few years ago. Not as detailed as Tony's or yours but at least I noted the main things I wanted to remember. Maybe after this years show I might get a little more ambitious and post it on here.
Steve Cooke

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#9 Post by AntMan »

Hey guys,

Thanks.
First of all, I totally understand long delays on reviews.
I still have some concert reviews that have been waiting years for me to finish :oops:

So many things I can relate to.
Traffic on 71 south of Columbus is always a crap-shoot.
If you catch it right, you can breeze right through, but if you don't, you can be stuck for hours in slooooooooooow traffic.

We have also started hitting Hometown Pizza when we get into Louisville.
It's close by, reasonably priced, and has decent food. Started going there when they closed the Bob Evens up the road from it. :(

Hitting the contest room, shortly after it opens can be an exercise in frustration for anyone wanting to get good looks and lots of photos.
I usually just make a quick pass through the room just to get a feel for what is there before heading up to my room for lunch. Then coming back later when things have thinned out a bit.

I admire your resolve to not buy more kits. You did really well with that.
I usually go to the show with a list of kits I want to pick up, as well as finding plenty more I want to add to my stash.
Tay666,
It's a small world. I hadn't realized that Hometown is frequented by other W-Fest folk, however I guess now that I think about it, "it's only logical" - (quoting Spock here). The food IS good and reasonably priced, and the restaurant is pretty close to the Crowne.

(I hadn't realized that that Bob Evans had closed down). :cry:

Wrt my delay in completing the report, I suspect that I was also being just a tad bit lazy. :wink:

71 South, from Columbus. I think that I generally miss all of that "driving fun" - (heavy traffic) - because usually when I hit it, It's somewhere between 10 pm and 2 am. :mrgreen:

Also, I think that I generally don't visit the contest room until an hour or two after it's opened. I think that last year I decided to try to get a jump on my picture taking there.

Thanks for your comment on my resolve (and determination) to keep my purchases light. Truth be told, I really didn't run across any of those "I Just Gotta Have It" models in the vendor rooms. (Either I'm getting more picky and particular in my purchasing tastes, OR I've already scarfed up everything I desire, model wise which is currently available).

It probably helped that StarshipModeler didn't have a table at the show.

Scooke123, too true, too true. Funny thing, I tend to forget kind of important things, (like the birth dates of some of my family members). HOWEVER, I DISTINCTLY REMEMBER THE VERY FIRST 3 MODELS I EVER GOT!

Here's a good one. I've purchased a particular model in the past, which really catches my eye and gets me excited, only to move it up to one of my attics, before I build it. Then years will go by, I'll see another model which catches my eye, get excited all over again and purchase it, only to discover when I ultimately end up going up to my attic to store it that I had already bought it previously. :lol:

Overspray, thanks, guy! I really have been wanting to get to that museum for probably 10 - 20 years, (after hearing nothing but good things about it from some of my modeling buddies). I'm really happy I was able to get there last year.

SteveG & Rocketeer, I appreciate your kind words. I've actually been contemplating doing a much more abridged version, one of these days. (I think it would feel and read too short and kind of rushed, though).

What I DO want to do (in the near future) is start taking video snippets of some of my "adventures" there, incorporating them into my reports.
Last edited by AntMan on February 15th, 2020, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony

Rocketeer
Squire of the Sprue

#10 Post by Rocketeer »

AntMan wrote:...Here's a good one. I've purchased a particular model in the past, which really catches my eye and gets me excited, only to move it up to one of my attics, before I build it. Then years will go by, I'll see another model which catches my eye, get excited all over again and purchase it, only to discover when I ultimately end up going up to my attic to store it that I had already bought it previously. :lol: ...

Tell me about it. At one time, I had six Monogram "Street Fighter" 1960 Chevy kits on my shelf. There was just something about the box art that was irresistible to the magpie part of my brain; I'd go into the store, see it on the shelf, start babbling, and buy it. :D

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by Scooke123 »

I've had that happen to me too many times to admit! Then I eventually wind up selling the extra of even both later on at a reduced price!
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#12 Post by tay666 »

AntMan wrote:...Here's a good one. I've purchased a particular model in the past, which really catches my eye and gets me excited, only to move it up to one of my attics, before I build it. Then years will go by, I'll see another model which catches my eye, get excited all over again and purchase it, only to discover when I ultimately end up going up to my attic to store it that I had already bought it previously. :lol: ...
Preach Brother!

I almost did that in 2019 (almost wrote this year)
I was really eyeing a Godzilla West Kenji kit that Kaiju Modeler had. Almost pulled the trigger on it too.
Then this fall when I finally started unpacking my kits from a move a couple years ago, I found that same kit in a box. Didn't realize I bought that same kit in 2018 until I found it, then checked my review from that year..
https://www.tylisaari.com/models/shows/wf2018/us.htm

As far as 71S, if I can get through Columbus before noon-ish it usually works pretty good. All depends on how long I spend visiting at my daughter's place before we hit the road.
Trevor Ylisaari

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#13 Post by AntMan »

:-D

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does it.

(Must be a modeler thing)?
-Tony

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#14 Post by Scooke123 »

AntMan wrote::-D

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does it.

(Must be a modeler thing)?
Plus there is NO cure!!!!! :lol:
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#15 Post by tay666 »

In my case, it's a bit of a modeler thing
and a bit I am getting to old to remember crap

:D
Trevor Ylisaari