What's new in the Gallery?
Check This thread

Tony Wootson's 2021 Wonderfest Show Report

Please post all Wonderfest-related threads here.

Moderator: Moderators

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

Tony Wootson's 2021 Wonderfest Show Report

#1 Post by AntMan »

Hi,

I've just posted my report on this year's Wonderfest Show.

You can view it here:
http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com/Won ... 021-1.html
Keep the glue and paint flowing, take care and stay blessed!
-Tony

"No Try! Do or Do Not! There is no try." Yoda

http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com

Heavy Metal Spike
Knight of the Round Bench
Location: Vancouver, Canada (ex-pat UK - Birmingham & Scotland!)

Re: Tony Wootson's 2021 Wonderfest Show Report

#2 Post by Heavy Metal Spike »

Thanks for letting us know Tony - locked up today but will read through this over the weekend.

I know how much effort you always put into this so am really looking forward to it.

Seeya on the other side.

Ian/Spike.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

billikenmonster
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Master of Masking

#3 Post by billikenmonster »

Wow ahead of schedule and under budget high marks Tony. Looking forward to reading it thank you

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#4 Post by tay666 »

Always enjoyable to read your show reports. It's amazing how people at the same show, can have such different experiences. Not better or worse, just different. Everyone has different interests, and WF has such a broad spectrum that it can cover.

One thing we have in common though, Hometown Pizza. So glad we tried that place a few years ago.

Just read the part where you said you don't intend to buy kits at the show. I am the complete opposite. I go with a shopping list because I want to save on shipping. :)

Great photos, and lots of them :o
Trevor Ylisaari

Check out My Prehistoric Scenes site and forum

"Nothing like a trail of blood
To find your way back home."

WANTED - Bat Rider - produced by Wraiths

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#5 Post by AntMan »

Thanks, guys.

"HMS", I appreciate your comments.

Bilkenmonster, YEP! (You got that right! WAAAAAAY ahead of schedule and WAAAAAY under-budget!)

Tay666, thanks also and I completely agree, (about two different people going to the show and coming
away with almost completely different experiences). I guess that's a sign of a really, really good show.

Glad someone else from this forum has also been enjoying Hometown Pizza!

.And that's too funny, with your objective in the vendor rooms being completely opposite from mine.
(I can see where you're coming from, though. There's just soo much interesting, good stuff to be
found from the Wonderfest Vendors (which often you can't find anywhere else).
-Tony

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#6 Post by tay666 »

AntMan wrote: Glad someone else from this forum has also been enjoying Hometown Pizza!
It's close to the hotel. The food is good. Plenty of options.
And they are always friendly, no matter how busy they are.
Have the left-overs for lunch the next day too.
Trevor Ylisaari

timetraveler
Squire of the Sprue

#7 Post by timetraveler »

Tony, thanks for your fabulous photographic record of the 'Fest. I will look through it often to relive the experience. Same goes for your other terrific show reports you have done over the years. :D

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#8 Post by Scooke123 »

Just read your show review and great job as usual.
Took me back and I'm always amazed at some of the things I miss seeing. In my mind I think I see it all but there is such a massive amount to see I guess its really impossible!
I'm already looking forward to next year!
Steve Cooke

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#9 Post by AntMan »

timetraveler wrote:Tony, thanks for your fabulous photographic record of the 'Fest. I will look through it often to relive the experience. Same goes for your other terrific show reports you have done over the years. :D
Thanks, Timetraveler.

I really appreciate the kind words and sentiments!
Scooke123 wrote:Just read your show review and great job as usual.
Took me back and I'm always amazed at some of the things I miss seeing. In my mind I think I see it all but there is such a massive amount to see I guess its really impossible!
I'm already looking forward to next year!
Thanks also, Steve.

Yeah, how about that! That show has so much cramped into their 3-day weekend, that
it really is impossible to check out everything taking place.

(That's probably a sign of a well organized show).
-Tony

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#10 Post by tay666 »

Hell, I went through that contest room about 5 times.
And I saw kits in your photos that I do not remember ever seeing on the tables.

It happens every year.
There is so much sensory overload with all those amazing kits filling those tables.
Trevor Ylisaari

Scooke123
Bishop of Build Ups

#11 Post by Scooke123 »

Isn't that the truth!! That's why I try to take so many pictures but still seem to miss a bunch!

Sensory overload is a perfect description! I think you get a brain fog trying to take everything in there is to see.
Steve Cooke

tay666
Site Admin
Prince of Plastic

#12 Post by tay666 »

I think that may be why I miss so much. I quit trying to take it all in, and just relax and absorb as much as I can while enjoying the much-too-short weekend as much as I possibly can.
Trevor Ylisaari

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#13 Post by AntMan »

tay666 wrote:Hell, I went through that contest room about 5 times.
And I saw kits in your photos that I do not remember ever seeing on the tables.

It happens every year.
There is so much sensory overload with all those amazing kits filling those tables.
:wink:

That is too funny, (but also too true)!

Also, I really hate to say it but when looking back on the pictures that I took this year I
saw some entries that I didn't revisit, (taking close-up pics of). - :?

You are also correct, about the sensory overload, (during pretty much the whole weekend, from
start to end). There's just soooo much to do and see at the show, that one can't possibly squeeze
it all in, in the allocated weekend.
-Tony

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#14 Post by resin addict »

So I just looked through your review; and thought I'd chime in about one of the comments you made in the Superhero picture section...Let me begin by recognizing that you said it was really well done (which I appreciate; as it was mine and in fact won a Gold), but you indicated that you had a personal problem with my "Grim Knight" entry (the 1/4 scale Batman all loaded up with hardware).
When I first saw the kit offered I had kind of the same questions, but yet couldn't resist getting it, specifically because of all of the detailing that could be done on the kit.
But I did further research, and it's actually apparently based on an alternative storyline that DC did sometime within the last few years, where the premise was: what if Bruce Wayne was not raised the same prior to his parents being murdered, and because of that his moral code was more in line with Marvel's Frank Castle?
So you have a vigilante with the moral compass of "The Punisher" with the billions of dollars of the Wayne estate to fund his mission.
That's the explanation (and it's based on an actual DC storyline) of why this particular Batman carry's a bunch of guns.
FYI.

Randy
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

AntMan
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Jack of all Trades

#15 Post by AntMan »

resin addict wrote:So I just looked through your review; and thought I'd chime in about one of the comments you made in the Superhero picture section...Let me begin by recognizing that you said it was really well done (which I appreciate; as it was mine and in fact won a Gold), but you indicated that you had a personal problem with my "Grim Knight" entry (the 1/4 scale Batman all loaded up with hardware).
When I first saw the kit offered I had kind of the same questions, but yet couldn't resist getting it, specifically because of all of the detailing that could be done on the kit.
But I did further research, and it's actually apparently based on an alternative storyline that DC did sometime within the last few years, where the premise was: what if Bruce Wayne was not raised the same prior to his parents being murdered, and because of that his moral code was more in line with Marvel's Frank Castle?
So you have a vigilante with the moral compass of "The Punisher" with the billions of dollars of the Wayne estate to fund his mission.
That's the explanation (and it's based on an actual DC storyline) of why this particular Batman carry's a bunch of guns.
FYI.

Randy
Hey Randy,

Thanks for chiming in here, along with sharing the background story of your Batman. I REALLY appreciate
your effort, along with taking some time to shed some light on my confused state concerning your Batman.

(I kind-of wish I had ran into you at the show in person, so you could have explained the origin of that version of Batman
to me personally).

You know, after I jotted down notes on my initial thoughts on your Batman and subsequently posted my report, I was thinking that he may have originated from some sort of alternate story line in the D.C. Universe. (I haven't been a regular reader of either Marvel or D.C. Comics for quite some time now, and as a result have missed any of the new story lines which have been written on their characters).

With a recent rental and viewing of D.C.'s Batman "The Long Halloween", I saw that they will be doing another "alternate reality" dvd/blu ray story line titled "Injustice: Gods Among Us", where Superman "looses his moral compass" and kills, along with subsequently becoming a dictator.

Anyway, thanks again for your posting, and I apologize if I offended you with my comments on your Batman. (You REALLY DID a "bang-up" job on him! - Sorry for the pun here). :2guns: :D
Last edited by AntMan on May 7th, 2022, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tony

resin addict
Registered Seller
Registered Seller
Bishop of Build Ups

#16 Post by resin addict »

No offense taken...I can totally understand the confusion; as when I first saw the kit my thoughts were the same; but as I noted, the sculpt and casting was sooooooo good that I had to have a copy.
FYI, to the best of my knowledge there were only 15 copies made; and including my personal copy I've painted 3 of the 15.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein